Originally Posted by nonikhanna View Post
Im sorry for going a bit off topic, but if u guys remember back in feb 11 announcement. Elop was talking about the 3 pillars. the next billion, ecosystem, and future distruptions. What exactly is the future distruptions. They have killed almost all future OS's within Nokia. They said that they would be releasing 1 meego phone per year and meego was the way forward in the long term. what happened to that?
Future distributions were mentioned on their last Q4 2012 strategy briefing. Don't really remember that 1 MeeGo phone per year. Don't need much to realize there naturally wont be MeeGo phones ever from Nokia.

Nokia needs its own OS for things like the kinect concept and graphene phone that Nokia has been aiming for 5 years now. They just received 1.4 billion dollar grant to develop graphene. Or Nokia's glass project. Harmattan and what learned there will no doubt be used.

Don't expect to hear anything in that front anywhere soon or get excited, but it's simply something Nokia needs... for its future distruptions. Windows Phone and 808 PV being perfect example of the limitations Nokia can't do without its own OS, not to talk about Nokia glass or kinect.

Last edited by tissot; 2013-03-13 at 13:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Future disruptions won't have anything to do with Meego or Symbian.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...-stephen-elop/
Originally Posted by Stephen Elop
The third pillar of our strategy is something called “future disruptions.” It’s about what’s the next step in things like materials, photography, battery technology — the things that we’re working on in order to drive the next disruptions.

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Really, very little from Nokia went to Jolla. Nokia today has 97 000 people (was 115 000). Jolla has around 40 people that where mostly working on software on Maemo/MeeGo.
Though the Jolla guys certainly have been working on MeeGo and Maemo looking a the delays we have already seen. Hopefully they get their **** together and we see half ok hardware this year.
I should make it clear: I WAS referring to the people who had done the major work in the Maemo/MeeGo devices, that's what I meant was the fantastic devices.

And about Jolla: What delays are you referring to? So far I think they have shown fantastic speed in their progress. Going from almost nothing (except from their professional expertise) and already have a working release of their SDK with so much already completed in the OS itself. I'd rather say its incredibly fast and impressive work from these guys.
Don't forget that Jolla was hardly even announced less than a year ago.

Regardless, Nokias insanity remains.

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Banyuwangi, Indonesia
AFAIK, the OP was questioning about what the next Nokia Power Device, not about some cases that already buried two years ago.
Look forward guys...

We've already discussed the future relating to Nokia EOS, Catwalk, and Jolla SailfishOS, but what of the more distant future?

Nokia has recently admitted in its stock filings that there is a threat to Nokia's business that M$ may release a Surface phone or that M$ may reduce or eliminate its support of Windows Phone OS, as it has with its earlier attempts in mobile, like Kin and Windows Mobile.

So maybe next year with no Elop, we will start to see some innovation from Nokia that will be something other than Lumias and budget devices . . .

I do typically lean nokia for 3 reasons, camera, audio, build quality.

No other phone maker has yet to match the n8's camera on a phone
I've owned and had lots of friends with other phones and nokias both internal and external has some of the best sound.
I never have to put a case on a nokia phone

That being said I have owned htc and samsung phones, always letting me down in at least sound and camera, neither broke on me

I almost forgot multitasking, I know this is OS, but only symbian, maemo and meego properly multitask. My android phone multitasking is a joke in comparison.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by efion View Post
Out of topic:

I don't understand why people hate Nokia that much...
Nokia is profit-oriented company, not a public service-oriented company, lucky you Nokia release the notorious Nokia N9, if not, we can't even have a toy to play...Is it Samsung? Motorola? LG? or else did?

In the first, i was hate too, not to Nokia, but to Elop with his burning platform memo, but then realize; "hey, you're not the money holder, sit back, and watch the show, you already had one of the great device of all time, enjoy it!".

I love my N9, and whoever for release it....

So, let this thread continues...
Profit????? Nokias has only got down down doooown since they got in bed with MS.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I do not see anything that Nokia makes with MS as a Flagship but more so as a bottom dweller...

Beautiful Design + Multi Tasks = NOKIA RULES =)

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Banyuwangi, Indonesia
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Profit????? Nokias has only got down down doooown since they got in bed with MS.
I'm not here to defend and stand behind Nokia, but ALAS Elop is behind the steering wheel, the comissioner board and all the stakeholders still trust Nokia on him to make profit, someday.
You may assume that us; the customers is also a part of the stakeholders, right, but no one in this world can satisify every single man's dreams on this planet.

Believe me, WP8 UI is nothing compare to Harmattan UI or even the secretly develop jawbreaking UI on "Nokia Air". Nokia is taking its risk to pick WP, and i know it's a heartbreaker to all Nokia lovers, but we all have choices, take it or leave it.