Active Topics

I installed the U.S. version and seems to have more freezes (or maybe I'm just too impatient). It does seem more responsive when the CPU's not busy though...

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ok... a.) The phone Banner was talking about was his cell phone which he can no longer pair with the 770. He's stuck with the phone. Which won't pair to his 770. All of you might not agree with him but I don't think he's still sitting there searching for the dialpad on his tablet.(make sense?)

b.) Given the nature of the 770, and that so far as we can tell both Euro/North American units were made in Estonia (as well as other places, yes, but all the NA ones I've heard of are Estonian), how the hell can a European software update make a difference? I understand that's what the rep told you, but we've heard reps say a lot of things. They probably just didn't want to troubleshoot anything.

It's a tablet. What's different about locale? If I take my NA imaged 770 to Paris will it suddenly go nuts? Doubt it.

If this forum is living proof of regional differences in attitude, the North American version will most likely be the same thing with a bunch of fixes for the bugs discovered by our cooler-headed european buddies.

Last edited by Hedgecore; 2006-05-02 at 18:20.

Originally Posted by ByronZanos
are you all retarted? i already said ive confirmed this over the phone with nokia. the euro version will mess up a us tablet and wont run properly. remove it and wait 2 weeks for the new us version. for a bunch of computer geniuses you sure know how to ignore information and ask the same ****ing question 30 times.

1) its a challange to get it to work.
2) we know better to trust what people say over the phone.
3) unlike cell phones, the tablet is based on computer hardware and the last I checked, that knew no borders.

Last edited by rattis; 2006-05-02 at 14:26.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Hedgecore
It's a tablet. What's different about locale? If I take my NA imaged 770 to Paris will it suddenly go nuts? Doubt it.
Just a thought - I've no idea how much space the Mobile Phone Wizard consumes, but I really don't care to have valuable ROM space taken up with details for phone services in continents I'll never visit! While I'm sure the jet-setters among us will find it handy to have details of every mobile service provider on the planet pre-installed, is the modularisation of such services on a regional basis an unreasonable/far fetched idea? I wouldn't object too strongly if the Euro version contained only Euro service providers, longer term perhaps additional continents (even individual carriers) could be added as a package install?

That strange, are we speaking about That version we loaded week ago?
Bought it in Compusa /U.S. Loaded from Europe site...
I don't have any problem (well, clock settings )

Ok... a.) The phone Banner was talking about was his cell phone which he can no longer pair with the 770. He's stuck with the phone. Which won't pair to his 770. All of you might not agree with him but I don't think he's still sitting there searching for the dialpad on his tablet.(make sense?)

b.) Given the nature of the 770, and that so far as we can tell both Euro/North American units were made in Estonia (as well as other places, yes, but all the NA ones I've heard of are Estonian), how the hell can a European software update make a difference? I understand that's what the rep told you, but we've heard reps say a lot of things. They probably just didn't want to troubleshoot anything.
a) Problems in phone/770 connection might be earlier bluetooth pairing in the phone. If it is not removed, phone might not accept new pairing.

b) Only thing I can imagine is WLAN channels, wich might be different. Maybe used channels are coded in the software. At least that was reason for different firmawares between EU an US images in my linksys WLAN-box. That would explain some problems in WLAN connections some users are having outside Europe with EU firmware.

These are only my guesses so please don't blame me if it's not the case here.

Newbie over here... I didn't even know that there are different firmware versions. No problems (aside from my router) so far... well, the clock.

perhaps i overreacted. i apologize. anyway, you may be right about the phone reps but this one seemed to know what he was talking about. in fact, if anyone here has a 770 that ISN'T made in estonia please let us know where its made and where you bought it. maybe we'll find an answer.

Other than the clock, it's never ran better after I installed the latest firmware.

Ok... a.) Given the nature of the 770, and that so far as we can tell both Euro/North American units were made in Estonia (as well as other places, yes, but all the NA ones I've heard of are Estonian), how the hell can a European software update make a difference?
When I last checked a map Estonia was still part of Europe so it would make sense for it to have a Eurocentric software update.

If they've saved ROM space by dropping the international time data it would seem more than likely they would save further space by dropping the international Mobile Phone Wizard / Service Provider data as Milhouse suggested. Indeed, there's probably some sort of link between the two that resulted in the time data being dropped by mistake.