Active Topics

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
I have an N900 as my main phone either, it has just some flaws. the volume-keys are dead, lock-slider is dead and the phone-speaker for calls is dead >.<
And 2 more in my locker (one of them has the USB-Port broken)
furthermore i have an nokia 3310 as my second one and for calls

I would love to see the n900's battery last at least half the time as in my 3310 (2 weeks!)

Last edited by Russe89; 2013-01-31 at 16:13.

My N900 has been my main (and only) phone for coming up on 3 years now... though for how much longer I don't know. The screen has been acting up a little lately.

I've been contemplating what to do if it dies. I've basically boiled it down to 4 options:

1) Get another N900.
Pros: The device and OS suits me extremely well. I've seen the occasional one go up on Craigslist/Kijiji that I could likely snag for $150 or so, which makes it the cheapest option.
Cons: I'm only going to find used N900s, and some people definitely don't treat their phones as gently as I treat mine. While we still have a sizable community, I worry that too many of the best of it have moved on and that the atmosphere will devolve with time (I already witnessed some racist comments in a thread yesterday. I realize that it's just one person and maybe just at a particular moment in time, but it still made me lose any interest I had in TMO at the time).

2) Get an N9
Pros: Everyone raves about user experience and hardware design, and it's where some of the top community members have gone to devote their time to. Plus, there's a decent chance Sailfish might get ported to it to keep it moving forward.
Cons: It's hard to come by in Canada. The places that sell them for $300-350 look sketchy and I'm worried I'd be getting refurbished or outright defective goods with very little protection; the places that sell them for $450+ seem better, but that feels quite a bit to pay for an end-of-life device almost 1.5 years in the market. Even if Sailfish does get ported, will it work well enough to use (Nemo can't even reliably make or receive phone calls yet on an N900)?

3) Get a Jolla phone
Pros: It looks like they're doing something very creative, their open approach is great, and they seem like they might be able to cultivate a good community.
Cons: Who knows how long it's going to be? Even then, will I be able to get one in Canada, assuming they'll even sell direct-to-consumer? Will it be at least Band IV HSPA+ so it will work on my network? Will it be at all affordable, especially if I have to import it? Lot of uncertainties.

4) Get a Nexus
Pros: Ships with a clean, vanilla version of Android. One of the more hacker-friendly phones out there (the N900 taking the cake), and OSs like Firefox OS, Sailfish, Ubuntu may get ported. At $349, the Nexus 4 is pretty reasonably priced.
Cons: Having an Android tablet and having seen my wife's Samsung Galaxy SIII, I just don't know if it will feel as good as even my 3 year-old N900 does. And if I don't like it, it's possible that no other OS will ever be sufficiently ported to the hardware, leaving me stuck with it. I could go with the Galaxy Nexus which Firefox OS and Ubuntu have had good luck on, but people almost want as much used as a brand new Nexus 4 goes for!

Sorry, that ended up pretty long. The cheapest, safest option obviously is to keep using the N900 I have. But it's going to die eventually, and I'm torn with where to go from there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trilby For This Useful Post:
Heavy n900 user here, cannot tolerate todays primitive devices.

When this one cans it I have 3 spares.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 61 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Dallas, Texas
I still use mine as my only phone. It works great, and does everything I want it to do. I have no desire for a new phone, as none appeal to me. About three years old and on the original battery.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taleydra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by jackburton View Post
Using the N900 daily. Love it. Best phone/IM/communication device I have ever owned. Main reason I'm sticking with it now is the fact it can do wi-fi sharing no problem (QtMobileHotspot) and the Bluetooth tethering is perfect with my iPod Touch and Nexus 7. I don't use N900 anymore for browsing, I tether with an iPod Touch for that. Plus, I get all the apps from iOS, too. This is the best of two worlds for me. Once I get around to figuring out bluetooth tethering on the N9 then I'll probably move on to that.
Have you noticed we have another Jack Burton? http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...63&postcount=1

You should team up and get your truck back. If you're not back by dawn, I'll call the president. On my N900, which I'm still using as my main phone.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Berlin
I still use mine as my only smartphone, but I actually have to admit that I don't need a phone at all and the phone is probably the worst application of the N900 (e.g. answer button lags sometimes). And this is probably the difference to the average smartphone user, who only uses a few apps and definitely has no need to port programs from desktop linux. Which (to some extent) explains martinwozenilek's post:

Originally Posted by martinwozenilek View Post
Reading all this it's very hard to understand why Nokia canceled this great project!
The mobile device I used before the N900 was a CASIO Cassiopeia E200, a great device with USB host (in 2002!) support, but without any driver to use this (exept a buggy keyboard driver). The lesson I've learned is to avoid locked, unfree devices and I'm willing to wait until the next company brings a device that is as free and usable as the N900.

Another advantage of the N900 is, that many components are screwed together and not glued together. I had to replace the screen (my wife dropped an alarm clock on it) and was stunned to see how easy that was.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frafI For This Useful Post:
I have two n900's that I use as my daily-drivers.

I bought a nexus one when it first came out. A couple months later was when I bought my second n900. Android was a big disappointment. I only use the nexus as a bed-side alarm clock now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flynx For This Useful Post:
ME
still have 3 on my side.

N900 is the BEST i ever had.
Today i got my N9.
Its pretty cool : )

But nothing over the N900

I cant understand why Nokia drops Maemo and Meego.
Such AWESOME OS and Phones .....

Tried Windows Mobile........
i think i dont need to say anything about it ^^

Hope the Community goes on and let the OS never DIE.
\m/ O___________O \m/
ROCK ON MAEMO.ORG

BTW....
ANDROID SUX
XD

The Following User Says Thank You to Erazor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 104 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
I'm using my N900 as my main phone, it's been 2 and a half years now and it's in mint condition, and also doing its job pretty well, specially with CSSU. I don't think I will ever get a new one as long as this community is alive, unless the phone dies and I fail to fix it or find another N900 in a good condition.

Happy hacking/customising

mlwane

The Following User Says Thank You to mlwane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ France
My N900 has been my main and only phone for almost 2 years. It will stay this way until it dies. Then I may look for a device as good if it exists, if not I will just buy another N900

Vlad

The Following User Says Thank You to Vlad_on_the_road For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900