Active Topics

Poll: Which one would you buy?
Poll Options
Which one would you buy?

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
I personally dislike N9 display as colors are over saturated and tired my eyes easily
Settings -> device -> display -> color profile -> subdued. There, fixed it for you.

As for the original question: I'd only buy an N9 if it's cheap. With no support and old hardware even I find it hard to justify to pay the same as current high-end hardware. However, I'd not buy Windows Phone. It's so restricted it will affect everyone, even you might not notice it at first. But there is (and will be more) useful functionality which could be implemented by developers, but simply won't be allowed to by MS.

Example: yesterday I did an apt-get install python3 on the N9. And presto, I can run python3 code. There is no Python in WP and I don't think there every will be, as it would make it possible to install and run apps NOT bought from Microsoft's app store.

If my N9 dies, I'd use the N95 or even Siemens S55 I still have and wait for Jolla's device to emerge, before deciding on a new device. (which of course won't be WP nor iOS)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
My next phone will be an LG Nexus 4 assuming that Jolla don't come out with anything decent.

i would love the nexus 4, i may even give android an unbiased shot, but without an SD slot or atleast 32gbs, its pretty useless to me

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
My next phone will be an LG Nexus 4 assuming that Jolla don't come out with anything decent.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ India
N9 ofcourse

just added darkidiot to my ignore list... ¦-)
already have a white N9
wouldn't get another one, though
NUU minikey kbd makes it bearable, but it works too flimsily to be a valid alternative to the N900

EDIT: thus, yes, waiting to see what Jolla comes with...

Last edited by misterc; 2012-10-31 at 20:43. Reason: waiting for Jolla

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Nexus 4 is missing FM-radio, microSD-card-slot and removable (replaceable, spare) battery.
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_nexus_4_e960-5048.php

That's why I rather have Galaxy Note 2. It has a better hardware and Samsung's own additional software and extra software related features not in the stock Android are rather good.

I don't get why so many people have to be so hard core one sided.

I have a Galaxy Nexus, Nokia N9 & Lumia 800.

Which do I prefer? All of them depending on what I will do for the moment.

For surfing the Nexus because of its bigger screen and its extremely smooth and fast surfing in Jelly Bean. It's lightyears (slightly overdone) faster than the N9 when it comes to surfing. I hate surfing on the N9 compared to both Lumia and Nexus. Android is also extremely open and can be more tweaked that MeeGo. Also a lot easier to tweak without risking a brick. The community/developer support is nothing short of amazing.

The Lumia is excellent when it comes to navigation. The GPS always locks in 3-5 seconds and Nokia Drive just works very good on it. Socially it is a very good phone too. Some smart solutions that makes sharing easier.

For multitasking N9 for sure. Can't be beaten. For fun factor it can't be beaten either. The camera is lightyears better also. But the N9 feels slow and unresponsive in comparison (opening apps mainly, not to multitasking with of course) with both Lumia 800 and Nexus. Jelly Bean on the Nexus is fantastic. So smooth and pretty fast.

Windows Phone I prefer when I want style and a modern OS to look at with uniformity across the system. It's also even smoother than Jelly Bean and very fast and quick but also limited as we all know. Specilly multitasking.

For audio I much prefer the N9 as it has a very good sound chip that beats the hell out of the Nexus when it comes to audio through the 3,5mm jack. Excellent quality in my Audio-Technica M50 headphones.

Bottom line. The N9 is a fantastic phone but starting to get behind. Really. People need to be more open minded and see the advantages of each system instead of just bashing them because of personal grudges about a system and whatnot.

Last edited by dannejanne; 2012-10-31 at 23:34.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dannejanne For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dannejanne View Post
I don't get why so many people have to be so hard core one sided.

I have a Galaxy Nexus, Nokia N9 & Lumia 800.

Which do I prefer? All of them depending on what I will do for the moment.

For surfing the Nexus because of its bigger screen and its extremely smooth and fast surfing in Jelly Bean. It's lightyears (slightly overdone) faster than the N9 when it comes to surfing. [...]
i won't say you are comparing pears to apples even though the analogy might even apply considering the difference in build quality and functionality...
rather, and to pick up on darkidiot's analogy comparing Ferraris and Yugos you are comparing... the most recent Toyota Auris with a 5 to 10 years old Golf of course the 1st one is going to be faster, more economical, roomier, more comfortable and all

maybe you should compare NIDRoid running on N9 with Harmattan instead?

about dark device versus N9... obviously both are NOKIA, so we are indeed comparing apples with apples
as to the performance, can't help feeling you are comparing a Golf with... a Lada?
maybe you forgot to release the parking brake in the Golf? or stuck in 2nd gear maybe?

Galaxy Note 2

And if there is choice only between N9 and L920... then buy N9 or better wait a bit for Jolla...