Active Topics

Hi,

My question is as in the subject.

I don't want to send a vCard. It contains my private description of the contant, besides it is send as an attachment which often doesn't work at all becouse of receiver's mobile device compatibility issue or is terribly delayed (even couple of weeks) becouse of GSM service. Not to mentioned that it's charged more.

I'm deeply dissapointed that such a basic feature which was stantard in much older phones, now is often unavailable. This involves inefficient approach like:
1. open contacts
2. find desired contant
3. enter edition mode
4. select contact's number (most annoying part)
5. copy
6. exit contat edition (beware not to save, especially when you messed up the number while selecting)
7. create sms
8. paste the number

Unless I'm missing something, I see no option to just "insert contant number" while writing SMS, am I right? Maybe there is some app, or other mod to make it possible in Nokia N9?

PS. Why not leave things which works? As a developer myself I know that "Better is enemy of good". This sentece should be a motto of any user experience designer.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Too bad this is how it is at the moment...

Call it the iPhone effect...

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Too bad this is how it is at the moment...

Call it the iPhone effect...
That's pity, true.
I see no problem in this specific case to add the 'the new' while keeping 'the old'.

Isn't there any app or anything to skip steps 3-6 at least?
It could have look like contacts search list, but after selecting the contant, number of it would be copied into the clipboard (or user could choose/configure at settings, which fields want to copy).

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
I find it irritating at times too but currently there is no app that could help in speeding up those steps...

An alternative that would be equally time consuming would be to open the contact's .vcf file in a text editor and copy the number...In my device, I have a habit of exporting my contacts to file regularly so the .vcf files are all in ~/MyDocs/Contacts/

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-10-15 at 12:16.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Prague, Czech
When contact is added in sms, full vcard is send. But...
When contact is opened, pick Share, select fields then send ( select sms or other), pick destination (contact). Only name, surname & nick + selected fields is sended.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kaacz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Timisoara, Romania
In plain text ? I tested and is vCard

Originally Posted by Kaacz View Post
When contact is added in sms, full vcard is send. But...
When contact is opened, pick Share, select fields then send ( select sms or other), pick destination (contact). Only name, surname & nick + selected fields is sended.
Thx for info, can be helpful. It's quarter-solution though. It only helps for private data issue, but vCard still isn't desired format. It's send as multimedia message (MMS) which often fails for reasons described in the 1st post.

The only other option i can think of, which works ok, is sync with google or similar, and open the contact in the web browser. That way you can just hold on the number and it lets you copy it and then paste that into sms.

I use google contacts and works ok there

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bangalore
I tried the Send as email option hoping it would take the numbers and enter it in the mail... but this too attaches the vcf file.

What I loved about the older phones (even the 1100) was that we could right from SMS select : Insert and select the contact we wanted to insert.

Anyway, I find it easier to just type the number out...

I do this:

1. Start the Msging app(ofcourse )
2. Open contacts.
3. Find and open the desired contact
4. Minimize and type it out in the message... you can peak at the number when you need to... I find this much quicker for some reason... and safer than going into edit mode.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danested For This Useful Post:
Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
^ why swipe is unique and convenient. Good suggestion.

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flopjoke For This Useful Post: