Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by nokiac View Post
Thannnnks for the great app buddy. I am tryimg to use the gtk ui on n9, and *** you are aware, it has issues with text input. the VKB does not come up.
I think I saw a workaround somewhere in the GTK@Harmattan thread.

Originally Posted by nokiac View Post
But tthe more interesting problem I notiiiced is that, in gtk mode it is not getting gps position.
Hmm, I haven't tested it but from the code it looks like it should work. I'll check it out on device to see what might be causing it.

BTW, quite a shame that the current Harmattan repositories lack proper dependency handling - as the GTK UI is perfectly usable on Harmattan (and fast! ) and only issue blocking it is that it needs GTK libraries, that are not available from the default repositories.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
The more I play with this app the more I love it. The UI is a bit different but intuitive and easy to get used to. And... I have just discovered monav offline navigation and now I am in the nirvana!

I have a few questions and suggestions if you don't mind.

1. I could not get "download tiles along route" to work. All I get is the two preloaded examples. Am I missing a step there? I suspect a user error not a software bug.

2. The voice guidance is too quiet in a car, but I doubt modRana can do anything about that.

3. For navigation in imperial units, yards are more customary (and intuitive) than feet. "Turn left after 100 yards" is more common than "turn left after 300 feet". OTOH, yards are never used for vertical distances, only feet. Strage system, I know

4. I think there is a missing slash somewhere in the PC version. I used it to batch download a lot of tiles and it stored them in ~/.modrana/mapsOpenStreetMap, not ~/.maps/OpenStreetMap. I may look through the scripts to see if I can find it, though I am far from a Python expert.

5. Is there an option and if not, how difficult would it be to add, to restrict which zoom levels to use? Not just min and max, but for example only even layers, to save space.

6. It would be nice if the app had its own help. Somewhere where the about info is. Not essential, only nice.

7. If the app used vector graphic and pre-recorded voices, then I believe it would be ready for commercial release!

BTW I tried raising a ticket about #3 but the wiki did not like me. Again, I suspect the problem between my keyboard and my chair.

Last edited by pichlo; 2012-10-08 at 13:27.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Is there any possibility to share Monav offline navigation data, between ModRana and other programs, like Marble? I mean, is path for monav packs configurable, or hard-coded (in the latter case, it would be only possible to achieve desired effect via symlinks, aka not in vfat MyDocs)?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
[...] adds a swap button to the Address2Address routing screen.
Thanks very much for adding this!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
I'm still trying to use a map program offline. But even though I have all the tiles I want downloaded to /home/user/MyDocs/.maps/OpenStreetMap I, it simply won't display anything unless it can access a connection.

When I go to Menu > options > map > map layers, I see it's set to use "OSM Mapnik." That requires access to OSM servers, so that's the problem, I guess. But I can't find any way to tell it to just use the local tiles.

What am I doing wrong?

(I do have the latest update, version .35-and-so-on. I'm using N900.)

Edited to add: I think I'm getting closer: I should probably modify map_config.conf? But if so, how? This is the mapnik entry and possible changes:

Code:
[[mapnik]]                                 [[local]]
  label=OSM Mapnik                       =local
  url="http://c.tile.openstreetmap.org/"  ="file:///home/user/MyDocs/.maps/OpenStreetMap\ I/"      ????
  type=png
  max_zoom=18
  min_zoom=0
  folder_prefix=OpenStreetMap I
  coordinates=osm

Last edited by quixote; 2012-10-08 at 18:10. Reason: added info

The Following User Says Thank You to quixote For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by quixote View Post
But even though I have all the tiles I want downloaded to /home/user/MyDocs/.maps/OpenStreetMap I, it simply won't display anything unless it can access a connection.
When I go to Menu > options > map > map layers, I see it's set to use "OSM Mapnik."...
What am I doing wrong?
(I do have the latest update, version .35-and-so-on. I'm using N900.)
Edited to add: I think I'm getting closer: I should probably modify map_config.conf? But if so, how? This is the mapnik entry and possible changes:

Code:
[[mapnik]]                                 [[local]]
  label=OSM Mapnik                       =local
  url="http://c.tile.openstreetmap.org/"  ="file:///home/user/MyDocs/.maps/OpenStreetMap\ I/"      ????
  type=png
  max_zoom=18
  min_zoom=0
  folder_prefix=OpenStreetMap I
  coordinates=osm
Quick reply...
Theoretically, you don't need to modify anything to make it use local tiles. Just make sure that sqlite option in Modrana is turned off, I guess, so that it would not look for a database file? And there is no need to change 'url="http://c.tile.openstreetmap.org/"' in the map_config.conf; thanks to 'folder_prefix=OpenStreetMap I', it already knows where to take the tiles from. Also, could you go into the folder /home/user/MyDocs/.maps/OpenStreetMap\ I/ and check the folder structure?
Best wishes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
I'm trying it right now on my pc with this command: python modrana.py -u GTK -d pc (On both pc and n900, it insists on trying to download.)

With wifi turned off, the terminal shows at least a couple of things that look problematic, but I don't know enough to have a clue:
Code:
@ location: using GPSD 

('location GPSD: connecting to GPSD failed', error(111, 'Connection refused'))

TypeError: update() takes exactly 1 argument (2 given)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "modules/mod_cron.py", line 84, in _doTimeout
    if callback(*args) == False:
  File "modules/mod_location/mod_location.py", line 75, in _screenUpdateCB
    self.provider._updateGPSD()
  File "modules/mod_location/gps_daemon.py", line 50, in _updateGPSD
    if self.connected:
AttributeError: GPSD instance has no attribute 'connected'
It also complains quite a bit about "icons: not found" but they seem to show up just fine, so that's probably nothing.

The display itself, both on pc and when I run it on n900, has a repeated message about "tile failed to download, network error ... check connection, use different map layer, ...". I went back to using OSM Mapnik, since that's supposed to work.

On the n900, the "/home/user/MyDocs/.maps/OpenStreetMap I/" directory seems to have lost most of the tiles I carefully downloaded. But it does have the ones for where I live, so it could at least be showing those. I have store to sqlite turned off. Also turned off on the PC. On the PC, the "/home/quixote/.modrana/maps/OpenStreetMap I/" directory has got the zillion downloaded tiles.

But all it wants to do is download more...

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by quixote; 2012-10-09 at 02:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quixote For This Useful Post:
Be sure to have options->Map->Tile storage->Store download tiles=on.
But the safe way is always to delete (move away) ~user/.modrana and ~user/MyDocs/.maps as it works by default.

The Following User Says Thank You to jankratochvil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
7. If the app used vector graphic and pre-recorded voices, then I believe it would be ready for commercial release!
This is exactly why I rather paid for better Modrana as compared to the commercial offerings it features detailed maps and it can also read the names of streets.

The Following User Says Thank You to jankratochvil For This Useful Post:
jankratochvil: I have store download tiles=on. I'm not sure I understand the rest of your answer. If there is no default dir (eg I rename it) then are you saying modrana will use a non-default local directory that I specify?

How do I specify it, in that case? I don't remember seeing an option to do that. Or just edit one of the .conf files?

The Following User Says Thank You to quixote For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps