Active Topics

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Ariadeno View Post
Nope.. You're wrong. The EFL libraries and Qt have been ripped out. So it's all about HTML5.
A bit off-topic but just to clarify matters a little: it is perfectly possible to write native EFL based apps for Tizen, it's not currently well documented but there's nothing stopping you from doing it and the majority of the default apps on current Tizen handset images are all EFL based. I actually wrote a short tutorial on how to get started writing EFL apps for Tizen myself (http://blog.mikeasoft.com/2012/06/23...chbox-and-efl/).

What's currently in question is whether it'll be possible for 3rd party developers to distribute native apps through any sort of official app store, which is a topic the Tizen steering committee have been pretty silent on. We may even end up with some splintered scenario in which some OEMs allow native apps in their stores and some don't; but that's all a matter of policy, not a technical restriction.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elleo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Elleo View Post
A bit off-topic but just to clarify matters a little: it is perfectly possible to write native EFL based apps for Tizen, it's not currently well documented but there's nothing stopping you from doing it and the majority of the default apps on current Tizen handset images are all EFL based. I actually wrote a short tutorial on how to get started writing EFL apps for Tizen myself (http://blog.mikeasoft.com/2012/06/23...chbox-and-efl/).

What's currently in question is whether it'll be possible for 3rd party developers to distribute native apps through any sort of official app store, which is a topic the Tizen steering committee have been pretty silent on. We may even end up with some splintered scenario in which some OEMs allow native apps in their stores and some don't; but that's all a matter of policy, not a technical restriction.
Wow, I hadn't heard that about Tizen, I thought it mostly was just pushing HTML5, but there were options to write with pretty much anything.... Why on earth would you limit yourself to a system that hasn't even been finalized. Well, I guess worse decisions have been made, like Silverlight....

slaapliedje

Originally Posted by Ariadeno View Post
Nope.. You're wrong. The EFL libraries and Qt have been ripped out. So it's all about HTML5.

No, impossible natively. Possible in the cloud.

Not only a completely different program. But completely different architecture. You're comparing x86 with ARM. And wine is just the windows APIs and Libs and it IS rewritten unlike the ACL crap. Besides, most of the APIs and libs of wine are written in C (fast, solid, actual acces to hardware) unlike the Dalvik VM which the interpreter of might be written in C but most libs and the apis and other functions are Java (slow, heavy). Wine is fast because its running on a fast system (duuhhh) You expect to run a runtime environment on a completely different, much more limited platform (performance wise) without problems. It's not that simple.

Wrong, Android is the RE (Dalvik VM + Runtime Libraries) along with the Application libs and app framework on top of the Linux-KERNEL, not Linux.

And tell me for ****s sake, why am I still not able to run android apps on my X86 Slackware Linux machine without the help of emulating on
a Virtual Machine. Porting was that easy, right??
There is no one on x86 except bluestacks for mac and windows.

Mann.... Quit dreaming. Too good to be true.
Well everything I said there may not have been described right was mostly correct. But debating it is not going to change anything. I believe it won't be a cloud app OpenMobile has had almost 2 years to work on this, that's a lot of time and its a company not just one guy in a basement. And because I believe so much I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and bet you 20 USD that when/if the ACL comes out its not cloud based.

Vromoth

Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Wow, I hadn't heard that about Tizen, I thought it mostly was just pushing HTML5, but there were options to write with pretty much anything.... Why on earth would you limit yourself to a system that hasn't even been finalized. Well, I guess worse decisions have been made, like Silverlight....

slaapliedje
because Maemo.org proved to the world that you can't make money with an APP store / site if there is a "community" providing apps for free, maybe?

at least nobody is calling it Flop's 1st Fart anymore

I just emailed Openmobileww, so I'll report back if I hear anything.

In the days/weeks before Wazzapp was released, there were a LOT of haters and doubters talking all sorts of skepticism. Some of them suggested impossibility, vaporware, developer fraud, illegality of concept, and any number of reasons to despair. But I noticed that, generally speaking, the doubters were also those who had some emotional commitment to opposing the idea of the N9 getting something new. The hostility in their message is unmistakable. Sort of like the guys who said running the 4 minute mile was 'impossible'--UNTIL SOMEONE ELSE DID IT.

We have Nitdroid making progress, and I hope and expect that OpenMobile will bring something to market--at a minimum, it would be another option for us to play with.

Maybe the haters could start another thread, since their pessimistic speculations add little to this one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Well drawing comparisons to wazapp is not right. Go through the wazapp thread again and you will see a persistent message from those of us in the know that its under development and give it time... Almost every page or two pages had one response saying to be patient ...

OTOH OpenMobile are not in touch and none of the community has ties with them while we also know them to Have shown vaporware before that's why we are sceptical....

contact them via email and you will See them giving u a very non-commital answer thats if they do respond...

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
REPORT TIME!

I've got a reply back for all of you guys!

Hi HtheB,

Thank you so much for your email. We are working diligently to deliver ACL across multiple mobile platforms including the Nokia N9. Unfortunately I do not have specific release dates at the moment, but I will reach out to you as soon as I have further information. Thank you again for taking the time to email OpenMobile.

We are hoping to have an announcement in the very near future about a downloadable version of ACL - dates, timing, pricing, versions, support, etc.

I have shared your note below with the OpenMobile team and we thank you for your enthusiasm and support. I will certainly reach out to you with more information as soon as I am able to release it (very soon!). And yes, I will also be happy to add you to our testers list. Please stay tuned for more information on that.

Warmest regards,
Leila

Will keep you updated guys!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
If ACL is available at all in the near future, how would the apps run, just as Native app or you would be able to say the difference.
Also will we be getting all apps such as Tango, document editor, games etc on it
Thanks

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by anismistry View Post
If ACL is available at all in the near future, how would the apps run, just as Native app or you would be able to say the difference.
Also will we be getting all apps such as Tango, document editor, games etc on it
Thanks
Nice question on vaporware

It is unreleased with the email above your post the latest form of communication anybody has had with them yet you are asking on technical details for something we have not seen in action except for the 1minute demo they ran on MeegoCE...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Well, on the PlayBook the difference in performance is obvious - for instance the Android browsers are at least 3-4 times slower than the native browser and even scrolling is often stuttering.

Tags
android clones, clone_wars, hope...