Active Topics

Poll: Which NFP name(s) do you prefer?
Poll Options
Which NFP name(s) do you prefer?

Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
INTERNETTABLETTALK.COM

I never liked the maemo change anyway...

this is the best suggestion

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by BluesLee View Post
...and the 'opposite' one is called lodos (a south wind). But unfortunately, poyraz.org is not available anymore and i dont like the second one.
I will defend the land name of Lodoss with my life!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I will defend the land name of Lodoss with my life!
Yep, that thought also crossed my mind.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
I'll stick to Aeolos Foundation and maemo.org

Maybe start a poll on this thread?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
I'll stick to Aeolos Foundation and maemo.org
Maybe start a poll on this thread?
As mentioned in one of my earlier posts we may be able to secure aeolos.org too (or one of the 3 other variations).
But I guess we wait & see which are the most popular names for the NFP entity first.
Too busy ATM, but soon I'll list all the suggestions in the OP, and then tally-up the +1's for each.

Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
INTERNETTABLETTALK.COM
I never liked the maemo change anyway...
Already suggested, and I explained why it's inappropriate IMO:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...16#post1260416
I could elaborate further than that, it was just a brief rationale...
Remember we're determining the most popular/suitable NFP name, ideally the domain's based on that.
If the domain's taken & not obtainable we can use something similar, totally different, or maemo.org.

Maybe there is hope for the future after all, whatever we morph into, if WebOS community can do this, we can:
http://m.webosnation.com/2012-webos-...20220-homebrew

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-17 at 08:54.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
So far, I like tmo.org best. It's brief, & even if it's not descriptive, neither is aeolos or even maemo.org without learning first what they mean. It seems the chief objective is to be a memorable web address.

I also think that aeolos, aeolus, eolus, & other mythology-based names are less attractive candidates because they have other associations, & just the associations may deter others. Also, I think the name should be something that is not prone to misspelling by various people.

And although I generally like to be positive & not criticize things that I personally have nothing to do with, I would like to say that I have thought that internettablettalk was one of the worst website names I'd ever seen mentioned. Prone to misspelling, can carry as baggage with the 'talk' portion a perception as being just gossipy & nonproductive, & really just corny. Plus "Internet Tablet" already sounds like something from 1998 - antique & corny.

'linux-smartphone' is descriptive, direct, & fairly unencumbered with baggage, but I think it has too many letters & a hyphen is sort of the speed bump in any web address. 'opensource-smartphone' has the same drawbacks.

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Rotoflex, maemo.org will be the domain name in which talk.maemo.org will be included [as per Council's understanding with Nokia]...

Its about the NFP's name that is the concern hence Aeolos as it is better than the current Hildon Foundation proposed by the council as Hildon tends to cause divisions and since Aeolos was King of Winds its quite apt to prevent divisions etc...

IMO, anything with openXXXX in it is very corny and lame...I mean open-device etc just sound uncool...My 2 cents...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-09-04 at 09:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
As mentioned in one of my earlier posts we may be able to secure aeolos.org too (or one of the 3 other variations).
But I guess we wait & see which are the most popular names for the NFP entity first.
Too busy ATM, but within the next 24hrs I'll list all the suggestions in the OP, and then tally-up the +1's for each.

Already suggested, and I explained why it's inappropriate IMO:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...16#post1260416
I could elaborate further than that, it was just a brief rationale...
Remember we're determining the most popular/suitable NFP name, ideally the domain's based on that.
If the domain's taken & not obtainable we can use something similar, totally different, or maemo.org.

Honestly, I don't get Aeolos. This is just my opinion, but:

1. It's hard to spell. Like Maemo. (Eolos? Eolus? Aiolos? Aeolos?)
2. It's hard to pronounce. Like Maemo. Maybe not in English, but think global here.
3. Yeah, I get it. It's a wind. What that has to do with a NFP foundation, I don't know or understand. Maybe I should ask Nokia, heh.

Jalyst, I have come to respect your opinion through the years on this forum. But honestly, and I read your post, I don't understand why ITT would be innapropriate. IMHO, it's as inappropriate as Aeolos. Shares the same roots, applies to the same products (NITs), ...

Granted, the times have changed since internettablettalk went online. Back then, the average Joe didn't even associate tablets with technology... But the idea is the same, right? Add the mobile telephony element and we have pretty much the same thing. Mobile devices are becoming what the original NITs aspired to be, plus telephony of course. Look at screen size, touchscreen, connectivity... Grab a 770 and put it next to a SG3, and you'll see what I mean.

That's why I like internettablettalk, it goes back to the roots. It's generic enough to include everyone and everything. If the "talk" at the end is innappropriate, name it the IT Foundation. I'm assuming the foundation aspires to create an environment that is not device centric.

Aeolos? Cmmon. I could recite fifty generic names like that and it wouldn't make a difference in terms of recognition, likeability, or meaning. And for those that speak ancient greek (or enjoy greek mythology), well fine, touche.

Just my 2 cents.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Rotoflex, maemo.org will be the domain name in which talk.maemo.org will be included [as per Council's understanding with Nokia]...

Its about the NFP's name that is the concern hence Aeolos as it is better than the current Hildon Foundation proposed by the council as Hildon tends to cause divisions and since Aeolos was King of Winds its quite apt to prevent divisions etc...
Thank you for the clarification. If it's not going to be the domain name or name of the website in bold letters at the top of the page used for consumer-directed product branding, but only the name of the NFP entity, Aeolos seems OK to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Rotoflex, maemo.org will be the domain name in which talk.maemo.org will be included [as per Council's understanding with Nokia]..
That's not a complete given, we may eventually to move to a domain or branding (heading at top instead of domain) that best encapsulates Maemo, MeR, & NIT.
But deciding on a foundation name is the most important first step...
Still busy ATM, will come back to this first thing next Monday, please keep the ideas flowing in the meantime....

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-20 at 08:33. Reason: clarify

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
libremobile.org, manemo-maelon, theaeolosguild!, vote mos!