Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Given the known details, I don't see how it can be anything but tolerancing. That's what experience tells me anyway. But I'm betting we'll know for sure sooner or later.

I was having a hard finding an off-the-shelf memory solution here in Central Iowa. I consulted with my friend Ebay, and ended up buying a PNY micro-mini adapter from one US source, and a SanDisk 8GB micro from another US source. Most sorces are Hong Kong and shipping takes a few days more. Look in the description to find the US based merchants.

I put the two piece together, slid it into the N810 (after manipulating that crazy cover they engineered) and mine works flawlessly.

--Plex

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Nantes (France)
Originally Posted by janjansenbe View Post
Hi,

Where did you bought your microSD and your adapter. What means 'PNY' ?

Cheers, Jan
Hi!
Sorry for the delay in replying. I haven't bought them on the Net, but in the street in a ThePhoneHouse shop, here in France. The Sandisk 8Gb they had was the only one in stock and the girl has opened a PNY package (microSD + micro-to-mini + mini-to-SD) to give me (yes, for free!) the micro-to-mini adapter
http://blog.lmartin.fr

For what its worth Ive got a Kingston 4GB sdhc card in whatever mini adapter came with my RAZR phone, and it seems to work fine.

YES! just received the sandisk memory kit
http://sandisk.com/Products/Item(233...y_Kit_1GB.aspx

just search SDSDQ-1024-A11MK on ebay, and purchase it!
It works, only thing is now that I have 1gb micro sd that I don't need
but 8GB card works with N810! FINALLY!

When I first put the card in, it said unformatted or corrupted memory card,
I took it out formatted Fat32 on windows, put it back
it works!

I don't know if FAT32 is the way to go, for 8gb card on N810
is there any other format anybody recommends(maybe works faster on linux)
I'm pretty new to linux I mean I have some machines that I have linux on but
don't use them much, so If I need a linux machine to format my 8gb micro sd
just tell me which format

This may sound simplistic, but if your card doesn't work, try pushing it into the slot harder. It is harder to push in than I realized, so at first I thought my card wasn't working. Turns out it was just me.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sweden
It works for me with a with a 8GB SanDisk microSDHC (class 4) in a micro-to-miniSDHC adapter.
To get me the SanDisk adapter, I also bought a SanDisk MicroSD Multi SD Kit with a 1 Gb SanDisk microSDHC.
Read more here: http://ovenordstrom.blogspot.com/200...-n810-has.html

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
The no-name microSD to miniSD adapter I bought is working fine with a SanDisk 8GB SDHC card... such a shame the N810 doesn't like the SanDisk adapter as it's likely a lot of people will be buying this make and having a bad experience with the N810 as a result.

It definately seems to be a problem with the N810 rather than the adapter, and it may well be a tolerance issue but it's the N810 that has the tolerance issue as all other card readers seem to work fine with the SanDisk adapter.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I guess I spoke too soon.

I took my 8GB SDHC C4 card out of the N810, and now it refuses to recognise it when I put it back. When I close the door, dmesg just reports the following:

Code:
[ 1032.867187] menelaus 1-0072: Setting voltage 'VMMC' to 3100 mV (reg 0x0a, val 0xf8)
[ 1032.890625] menelaus 1-0072: Setting voltage 'VMMC' to 3000 mV (reg 0x0a, val 0xb8)
[ 1035.250000] menelaus 1-0072: Shutting off 'VMMC'
Needless to say it works perfectly in a card reader.

What a total PITA!