Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Yes, but there must be lots of scratches all over the screen?
No. Not if it's treated with care.

But I recommend screen protectors anyway. Scratching can occur in areas of heavy use, even if care is taken.

As to the shipping film, the silver tab is meant to remove it (but occasionally separates). IMO this purpose should be self-obvious. Regardless, I don't see it as a big issue...

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Yes, but there must be lots of scratches all over the screen?
Nope.
My N800's screen (got it January 26th more or less 2007) is clean and has no scratches.
Your mileage may vary, so if you don't feel safe, go buy one.

I, personally, don't like them. They reduce the visibility and the sensitiveness of the screen.

I dunno... it just seems like it's common sense to include some kind of changeable protective film on a touchscreen, even if it is (to some extent) scratch resistant.

It wouldn't cost much, and it would make me feel a lot more comfortable about regularly scratching an extremely expensive bit of equipment.

The stylus tip shouldn't scratch the screen under normal use. Problems do occur when people (like my kids) overestimate how much force is required. The screen responds to very light input, and the stylus tip is smooth.

What I've noticed that causes significant scratching is leaving dust or grime on the screen. Going over this gunk with the stylus WILL increase the likelihood of scratching. Keep your screen clean, pay attention to the pressure you're applying, and you should be fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Just to put this in context, my N800 is a review unit from Nokia which had been through the hands of several tech journalists before me, by the look of the box quite a lot of journalists. None of them had removed the film.

I can't be the only one who regards this as a bona fide screen protector that's meant to be left in place, there must be others who assume this film serves a purpose.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
What I've noticed that causes significant scratching is leaving dust or grime on the screen. Going over this gunk with the stylus WILL increase the likelihood of scratching. Keep your screen clean, pay attention to the pressure you're applying, and you should be fine.
...but that's exactly what the shipping film would do, it would prevent dust or dirt getting anywhere near the screen.

Last edited by krisse; 2008-01-11 at 15:39.

I can't be the only one who regards this as a bona fide screen protector that's meant to be left in place, there must be others who assume this film serves a purpose.
On one hand I can see your point, krisse... but two things lead me to wonder why anyone makes this assumption:

1. As previously stated, the silver tab should be a clue that there is something unusual going on. People should assume it serves a valid function... and that function isn't hard to determine once one thinks about it.

2. The shipping film scratches VERY easily. Again, another clue. No true protector would be as soft and scratchable as these things.

That said, assuming the customer will figure out a mystery may not always be the best approach. Unfortunately my position keeps me from expounding further on the subject.

...but that's exactly what the shipping film would do, it would prevent dust or dirt getting anywhere near the screen.
Right-- DURING SHIPPING.

havnt used a screen protector, I've had mine for a few months. use it everyday. no scratches. but i have ordered a screen protector...

Well, if that's true, I've got to say I'm flabbergasted. I don't see any kind of warning anywhere on the packaging telling me to buy a screen protector, nor is there one bundled with it.
Stylus screens are designed to survive the supplied stylus for the estimated type and time of use - they don't really need a screen protector, and among my entire collection of Palms, mobiles and media players I have never had a device that was shipped with a screen protector.

There is however something stuck to the screen that looks just like a screen protector, so I assumed it was one.
That is a transport protector, and supposed to be removed before use just like the transport protectors on most other display-equipped products you'll buy - way too soft for a screen protector, but it can be abused as such for a few days or even weeks, until you bought sth. real.

So if I actually use this device without any third party products, it will permanently ruin the screen after just a few weeks?
No. Heavily using it without a screen protector in rough conditions might ruin it within a year or so. But on average, the screen foil can be expected to outlive the device. Most of my Palms, used without a screen protector, looked a bit worn by the time they died (usually due to their unreplaceable battery failing or the screen glass cracking thanks to a drop), but the touch sensor was still working fine...

The Following User Says Thank You to sevo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
There are a ton of devices out there that come with throw-away plastic films for protecting various things. The N800/N810 are neither the first nor last in this tradition.

Really, I don't see a problem with leaving the protector on (I used mine for 6 months). It's not much less durable than the throwaway protectors you find on ebay, and it's already been applied for you. Sure, it doesn't last long, but there's no harm in leaving it on there (and, in my opinion, it's better to scratch that than the screen itself).

If it works for you, fine, if not that's fine, too.

Originally Posted by sevo View Post
No. Heavily using it without a screen protector in rough conditions might ruin it within a year or so.
My 770 went for a little over a year of heavy use without a screen protector. It was a little scratched, but not noticeably so when I got my N800. I decided to leave the factory protector on my N800 because I just couldn't stand the idea of having a screen scratched up again (however faintly). I eventually replaced it with a Boxwave anti-glare, and probably the best thing out of that decision was the awesome anti-glare properties, which make the screen readable in a lot more lighting conditions.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-01-11 at 15:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post: