Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
as for Jolla, I'm realistic and have low expectations.
Wild unfounded speculation warning

China Mobile were on the MeeGo working group and, from articles I've read, were affronted when Elop pulled the plug.

Imagine if China Mobile are Jollas financial backers, they'd have a HUGE ready made customer base. If Tomi Ahonen's figures are correct China Mobile is bigger than all North American carriers combined.

Manufacturing would undoubtedly be done by companies such as ZTE, Huawei, FoxConn, Compal or Gigabyte so they shouldn't have a problem with volumes.

I've also read, for political reasons, the Chinese government would rather their citizens use mobile phones with an open source OS rather than with a closed source OS from the USA.

I'd really like to know where Jolla's backing is coming from because I think it could tell us a lot about their chances of success.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Well, this thread is about nokia stock

But I agree, who is backing Jolla is important, and to me I won't buy anything from them until I now for sure who is behind this money.

In jolla case, that is more important to me than the feature and specs. Now, I'm not sure what rules apply to jolla, but I would really like if the openly told us the who is pulling the strings.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

If you thought $1.60 was being pessimistic, MKM partners expects it to drop even lower
MKM Partners lowered their price target on shares of Nokia (NYSE: NOK) from $2.00 to $1.50 in a research note issued on Monday. The firm currently has a “sell” rating on the stock
NOKIA Stock is Worth Less and Less
Shares of beaten-down Nokia (NYSE: NOK) are fractionally higher Monday but according to one analyst there is only on direction for the stock to go... and that is down.

MKM Partners slashed its price target on Nokia from $2.00 to $1.50, while reiterating their Sell rating. The firm cited a recent analysis of communications patent transactions.

"Given the ongoing large operating losses and cash burn, we continue to see all of the value of the company in its intellectual property," said analyst Michael Genovese. "We are updating our view of the value of Nokia’s IP based on our analysis of five patent purchase deals that have occurred over the past two years including the recent Intel/IDCC transaction and Google's purchase of Motorola Mobility. As shown on the table on the next page, these deals suggest an average per patent value of $560,000. Applying this number to Nokia's 10,000 issued patent families results in our new $1.50 price target for the stock."

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-07-16 at 15:07.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
If Tomi Ahonen's figures are correct China Mobile is bigger than all North American carriers combined.

Do you need to look to Tomi Ahonen to know this to be true? The North American market is tiny. China Mobile has two subscribers per one U.S. citizen. And they have growth potential, at that.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Do you need to look to Tomi Ahonen to know this to be true? The North American market is tiny. China Mobile has two subscribers per one U.S. citizen. And they have growth potential, at that.
Exactly. And I can say that as an American citizen that our market is a weird beast to enter. In fact, I'd say it's not even worth it. That's why I found it odd that Microsoft and Nokia keep trying to make it here.

Make it big elsewhere. Asia, Europe or Africa. You know... the places where Nokia used to sell a lot.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
"According to market-share estimations compared to marketing dollars, it costs nearly ten times as much to sell the Windows Phone-based Nokia Lumia as it does to buy one. Other analysts agree with the low sales numbers."

http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/12/...49-nokia-lumia

"It costs $450 in marketing to make someone buy a $49 Nokia Lumia"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07..._guesstimates/

I agree, gerbrick.

However, it seems that the battle for the smartphone market has been mainly fought in US based tech blogs. Everybody wants to win the US market, Nokia apparently made it their goal and strategy.

NOK stock price just hit $1.76. You'd have to go back to September 1994 for the last time the price was that low.

Some more rumour and gossip on possible MS smartphones and Nokia take over - Did Microsoft Hint at Acquiring Nokia? (from SeekingAlpha.com)

[snip]...when Steve Ballmer was asked whether Microsoft would start building smartphones, he refused to give a clear answer. He pretty much said "we will wait and see." According to Mr. Ballmer, Microsoft will focus on its tablet first and take it one thing at a time. The fact is that a company as large and sophisticated as Microsoft doesn't have to focus on "one thing at a time." The company can focus on tens of projects at the same time.

Ballmer didn't rule out the possibility of Microsoft producing its own smartphones, he simply said "not now." Why not now and why later? It looks to me like Microsoft will let Nokia give it a try first and it will take the matter in its own hands only if Nokia fails at it. Microsoft doesn't know whether Nokia's turnaround will be successful or not. At this point, even Nokia itself might not know the case. If Nokia fails, Microsoft is likely to buy Nokia and take the matter in its own hands. [snip]
Edit: stock just hit $1.72..
Edit2: Ouch!! Just hit $1.69!!

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-07-17 at 14:45.

When are you boozos going to understand that the stock market does NOT govern the companies?

Nokia is still way too large. It needs to slim down, fire at least 1/3 of the rest of the people there, and more factories. When they do, the stock will go down even more, not much but still. Everybody knows this. The ones trading in Nokia stock now are just speculating, from minute to minute. The smallest rumour and the stock goes up/down 20-30 cents. It is not much, but in percentage it is a whole lot of money to be made from this.

Nokia is like a big ship that has run out of steam and is starting to disintegrate. Inside they are building a new ship. It is much smaller, but faster, meaner. more manoeuvrable. It only needs 1/4 of the man power though. Will they be able to finish it before the old ship sinks? certainly, the investors and MS will see to that. What we are able to see is only the old ship falling apart, and sooner or later it will sink. But Nokia will survive.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen