Active Topics

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by specc View Post
To me this starts looking fishy. Open source project should not be shrouded in secrecy like everything about Jolla. Just saying.

What about ecosystem? Apps, services? A fully open system using the web for most of the services I understand, but from what I gather of information, they are headed elsewhere.

Way too much confusion talk by Jolla to be taken seriously at this time.
This is just my personal opinion:

That's understandable - and I actually wish that people had healthy scepticism about general consumer products. There's absolutely nothing normal about the way this is launched - but it seems to have worked quite well so far.

From Jolla point of view, from latest interview:

Jussi: Our principle is that we are careful, so we don’t want to promise anything that we can not do. This is why at the moment we just said we will reveal a phone later this year.

What exists right now and is clear:
* Mer, the Core of "Jolla OS" is open, available for contribution or even use by other projects or vendors.
* Jolla OS is based on Mer and Qt.

I'm not exactly sure where it says that Jolla itself is a open source project, but for exact details of open source, please stay tuned.

We all saw how open source projects can launch in the completely wrong way (MeeGo, Tizen), so it's important to have exact information when you do.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2012-07-12 at 05:49.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I'm not exactly sure where it says that Jolla itself is a open source project, but for exact details of open source, please stay tuned.
For that matter, Maemo kept puffering on about open-source, too. Fat lot of good that did us. I've learned to be very skeptical.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by Setok View Post
All of this can be done with the iPhone. Except, perhaps, the YouTube thing. I haven't tested as I haven't had that need myself. There are a lot of misconceptions about how iPhone's multitasking works on this forum.
same goes with Android, at least with (this) SGS3.
Multitasking. works I think alot of better than with n900.
When too many applications are running (compared to the available RAM), SGS3 does state remembering SIGSTOP+CONT where maemo and harmattan tries to swap, slows down, stalls, makes me wanna reboot the device.In the advanced settingsI can tune to have max 4 background processes running rather than maximise available RAM for the foreground apps and services.

edit:
yet, I am wishful and happy they started Jolla. But I think the resources would be used better by joining the Tizen-development. Having for example good qt based essential apps for Tizen would be worth of lots of money also imho. Tizen at least seem to be getting security policy and layer somewhat well, so Jolla could adapt and assimilate it.

Choices are good, but too much fragmentation in Linux-"ecosystem" is already a problem and Microsoft is happy.

Last edited by zimon; 2012-07-12 at 08:34.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
same goes with Android, at least with (this) SGS3.
Multitasking. works I think alot of better than with n900.
When too many applications are running (compared to the available RAM), SGS3 does state remembering SIGSTOP+CONT where maemo and harmattan tries to swap, slows down, stalls, makes me wanna reboot the device.In the advanced settingsI can tune to have max 3 background processes running rather than maximise available RAM for the foreground apps and services.
You do realise that you are now comparing a device that is 3years old to one that has just been released along with its OS which has had multiple upgrades since the n900 came out?

I will agree, that ICS bought a great leap forward in multi-tasking for Android and with a handset like the sgs3 with it's 2012 hardware it makes even the tombstoned task switching and the apps that are allowed to multi task a breeze. (almost to the point that you cannot tell which is which).

But still, we are comparing a modern OS and hardware specs to the aging N900. (as awesome as it still is)

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Open source project should not be shrouded in secrecy like everything about Jolla. Just saying.
Mer and Qt are open source project, so they are not shrouded in secrecy.
Jolla is a company. They are completely right not to disclose their hardware, their strategy, or any non-patentable, non-copyrightable differentiating asset.

Then, the community is completely right to remain skeptical/wait-and-seeish, even if the PRs are really promising

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Mer and Qt are open source project, so they are not shrouded in secrecy.
Jolla is a company. They are completely right not to disclose their hardware, their strategy, or any non-patentable, non-copyrightable differentiating asset.

Then, the community is completely right to remain skeptical/wait-and-seeish, even if the PRs are really promising
that seems about right, all the stuff their using is open source which we all can see now but their plans and hardware they plan to use is internal company's information and for time being they want to keep it silent.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Hey not wanting to sound like an ***** here but could we rethink the name LOL Jolla sounds kind of lame.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Jussi: Our principle is that we are careful, so we don’t want to promise anything that we can not do. This is why at the moment we just said we will reveal a phone later this year.
That's perfect, yes, please do not promise anything that can't/won't be delivered. In fact, it would be wise if you don't even imply things that are still uncertain, and then turn around and say "when did we promise that?" when people's expectations are not met.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
I am probably too optimistic about this but I think that Jolla will deliver something good. Mer and Qt are really solid base and so far hints about the UI and UX (integrating features to operating system instead of having applications around, designers being influenced by good aspects of Harmattan UI, promise to keep power users needs in mind) are promising. Also hardware is nowadays so powerfull and cheap that it should enable them to do what they want without compromises.

I just hope that they can make the closed bits good enough so that we don't need to complain about those. And open parts open enough so that community can fix them if needed.

Originally Posted by Setok View Post
All of this can be done with the iPhone. Except, perhaps, the YouTube thing. I haven't tested as I haven't had that need myself. There are a lot of misconceptions about how iPhone's multitasking works on this forum.
At least I don't think it works, or need to be tweaked.

iPhone doesn't seem to save your browser state, OR video state (if you pause and switch tasks) on the browser. At least that's how an iPhone 4 from my cousin behaves.

I know I tried that on my Galaxy Tab and I couldn't bear using it. Since then I have given up on it. Maybe a heavily hacked Jelly Bean could do it?

People have suggested a multitude of hacks to enable multi-tasking-like activities on Android.

Which brings down the whole "user friendliness" it is supposed to have over Maemo/Meego/Mer.

On iOS though, I admit I have very little experience. Only using a couple of times borrowed devices. But overall, I think iOS is NOT smooth, it stutters and slows when I try to use it like I use(d) my n900 or Symbian devices. Overall, I don't really think it is better. And every single app people show me either makes me want to vomit (fart apps) or has me completely underwhelmed (oh, there is an app to access that site? Why not just use the browser instead?).

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla