Active Topics

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
By the way new interview from YLE, in finnish, over here http://areena.yle.fi/tv/1575054

Quickly translated stuff in the interview:

-They are absolutely stunned about the interest people have shown for Jolla and Meego. First article about Jolla appeared 15 minutes after the first tweet. So far they have made it into mainstream media in Europe, Asia and America. At the moment they are just trying to follow the media attention. Dont have enough PR capabilities to comment and do interviews with everyone interested.

-Doesn't see any trouble coming from Nokia.

-Like the name implies they are going to sea with a small agile boat, but mobile business is very hard for tiny players. They need to get big enough in order to survive. See themselves as enablers of new open option on the market. They dont think Jolla as starting from zero, cause so much Meego and mobile tech&business experience and expertise on board.

-New user experience. Meego best to enable for that. They also thought about Android, but Android is for the ones that follow, not for the ones that want to lead. (Propably means Google's control over Android).

-Hardware designs made in house. Will use ODMs for hardware manufacturing.

-Is very diplomatic about Nokia. Basicly Nokia is too big, too old, and too nice to die out.

Last edited by Rauha; 2012-07-09 at 17:38.

Originally Posted by OVK View Post
Yes. These guys decided to get out of the burning oil platform in a jollyboat and now they can sail whereever they want. The other guy decided to jump to frozen sea, insisted that others jump with him, only to be “saved” by a bunch of pirates that continue to rape them whenever they will.

Edit: picture of jolla: http://www.elisanet.fi/miika.joas/jolla2_L.jpg
Hold Your horses, we don't want this thread to turn into sexual fantasies one
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Hold Your horses, we don't want this thread to turn into sexual fantasies one
I never knew anyone could be aroused by small boats, is it a Finnish thing?

sorry, couldn't resist

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Not much new there but here is a short summary for non-Finnish speakers:
-They have about 50 workers at the moment, half of them are ex-Nokia
-They have engineers, designers and software developers in the company

About history of MeeGo:
-Before it ceased many companies were interested to release devices based on it
-People working on MeeGo at Nokia "were spiritually, emotionally and careerwise committed to MeeGo"

Why MeeGo:
-They investigated other possibilities such as Android as well but they "want to lead, not follow"
-Open nature of MeeGo allows them to integrate functionality in the operating system "instead of having applications around the phone"

Timeline:
-Jolla was founded in 10/2011
-Five founders
-They will come public with a device this year. However, he did not say when the device will be available.

My personal thoughts about this:
-50 (probably highly paid since they work in Finland...) engineers on company means that they must have some serious financial backing alreary. They must be already burning a couple of million euros yearly on salaries only. This is not a small startup.
Their new MeeGo os could run more than just smart-phones but tablets pc's cars and lots of different hardware

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
By the way new interview from YLE, in finnish, over here http://areena.yle.fi/tv/1575054
I watched this live and there were a couple of interesting things he mentioned:
-Jolla aims to be big in just a couple of years
-They are using ODM partner to manufacture hardware. He strongly hints that this partner is Asian
-They were surprised by the overwhelmengly positive feedback and are happy about it

...Yle areena does not work in N9, I would otherwise check if there were something else worth mentioning...

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Thanks for the link! Nothing really new in the interview that hasn't been said eariler, but the impression I got from it was that the devices will be manufactured in Asia, which is not a big news, but I kind of would have liked, if it had brought more jobs to Finland...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...162579358.html

Mr. Hurmola, a 12-year Nokia veteran who recently joined other ex-Nokia employees at Jolla, said the company needed to raise about €10 million ($12.3 million) from private investors to develop the forthcoming smartphone.
Can anyone read the whole article?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Not much new there but here is a short summary for non-Finnish speakers:
-They have about 50 workers at the moment, half of them are ex-Nokia
-They have engineers, designers and software developers in the company

About history of MeeGo:
-Before it ceased many companies were interested to release devices based on it
-People working on MeeGo at Nokia "were spiritually, emotionally and careerwise committed to MeeGo"

Why MeeGo:
-They investigated other possibilities such as Android as well but they "want to lead, not follow"
-Open nature of MeeGo allows them to integrate functionality in the operating system "instead of having applications around the phone"

Timeline:
-Jolla was founded in 10/2011
-Five founders
-They will come public with a device this year. However, he did not say when the device will be available.

My personal thoughts about this:
-50 (probably highly paid since they work in Finland...) engineers on company means that they must have some serious financial backing alreary. They must be already burning a couple of million euros yearly on salaries only. This is not a small startup.
At the same time if theyr are: "spiritually, emotionally and careerwise committed to MeeGo" They probadly is ready to work harder for a lower salary than if they worked for Nokia. But yes there must be some cashflow already...

Atleast I would think that way

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Winchester, UK
Originally Posted by dietyyli View Post
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...162579358.html

Can anyone read the whole article?
If you google for that URL and go there from Google, it seems to show you the whole article (at least it did me).

...Yle areena does not work in N9, I would otherwise check if there were something else worth mentioning...
I think it just might work with Yle-dl

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla