Active Topics

GREAT GREAT GREAT. I had to buy 3 nokia n950, because there is no other phone that have what I need only n950. So I am very pleased and hope that they make similar phone(with keyboard), better usb port, better processor, ram. And that is all what I need..... So thanks that you start it again and that you realized that there is many linux administrators, network administrators...and many many other people that want decent phone like nokia n950.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Here is official response from Nokia PR concerning Jolla (not really saying anything, but in case people are interested).

"Toivotamme Jollan tervetulleeksi bisnekseen, mutta emme luonnollisesti voi kommentoida muiden yritysten tuotteita. Keskitymme jatkossakin Lumia-tuoteperheen kehittämiseen"

Roughly:

"We wellcome Jolla to mobile business, but we will naturally not be making any comments about products made by other corporations. We will continue to be focused on developing our Lumia product line."

Source

I would hope to see innovation, surprises —*both on the UI front and on the hardware design. Ie. go down your own path. I agree with others saying it should be considered to be mass market. Too many niche geek products out there and personally I don't find them interesting. Don't have the time to tinker and their likelihood of making an impact are very small.

I actually have a good idea what the hardware design should be, but would prefer to chat to the Jolla guys first.

(We're building a new type of bank in the Cable Factory, just across the street from them, so might hook up for a coffee if I can find the right people).

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I fear that to many will be dissepointed with the HW since they compare it with the High-end Samsung phones. Will be very intressting to see you they handle this issue. Nokia didn't care for this issue at all, and I fear that jolla ignore this as well.
The SoC used in the N900 was pretty decent, for its era.

I know for a fact that protos with better CPUs than the 1Ghz A8 in the N9 were considered for it / the N950. However, with Elop killing the platform and desperate for it to fail and not eclipse the WP offerings, that was never going to happen ... much like the original idea for the 808 Pureview to be the first Carla, 1280x720 screen, dual core Symbian product.

Jolla have no such reason to restrict the (processing) hardware. In fact, they have every reason to buy the best available.

Obviously they're simply not going to have access to the very best camera modules, lenses or screens, or at least not at prices which would allow them to make acceptable margins on the hardware.

I suspect someone like STEriccson (who've been behind in the top-end stuff for a long time now and will be keen to pick up design wins) might offer them a competitive deal on high end chips.

Anyway, besides absolute performance, the A15 dual cores at 32nm or 28nm will have vastly more advanced power management and lower power draw (i.e. longer battery life) than the relatively ancient A8 cores at 45nm or, worse still, 65nm.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2012-07-09 at 16:04.

Took me this long to realize that Jolla is likely a reference to the burning platform thingy. They sail away from the disaster..

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
It seems they will design the hardware themselves too

also

Company Size: 51-200 employees

Last edited by mariusmssj; 2012-07-09 at 14:55.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Jolla is of course Spanish for jewel.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Whereas Lumia in Spanish is a colloquialism for whore ...

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
That would be "joya", sorry

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by shinogami View Post
Took me this long to realize that Jolla is likely a reference to the burning platform thingy. They sail away from the disaster..
Yes. These guys decided to get out of the burning oil platform in a jollyboat and now they can sail whereever they want. The other guy decided to jump to frozen sea, insisted that others jump with him, only to be “saved” by a bunch of pirates that continue to rape them whenever they will.

Edit: picture of jolla: http://www.elisanet.fi/miika.joas/jolla2_L.jpg

Last edited by OVK; 2012-07-09 at 15:14.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla