Active Topics

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
Could they get us Skype video chat?!?!?!
Probadly not if you dont want to pay microsoft... I dont expect skype et all. Atleast not preinstalled.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-07-08 at 10:16.

i hope jolla can use swipe(swipe to return to homescreen), this gem is useless at nokia.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ a spot
This thing blows.

please clarify

the comapny is called jolla
the operating system it developes is called jolla mobile?

disagree also, few whiners whine a lot. This is better than i imagined, but boy I'm glad of living in finnish society, since the talent didn't leak, which was in the news already when the layoffs started. It's at least some of the nokia i liked took a jolla and paddled with the burning platform with em

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
tbh i think it could to ported to N9 just like an Android was. But they do say they already have hardware partners and investors.

And if they will open a donation page i will be more than happy to donate
If they have hardware parteners why would they ask for donations? I\d buy their product if I could but I wouldn't donate with just the promise of a meego device.

Some random thoughts spring to my mind:

It would be funny if Jolla has business relationship with Nokia... if Nokia does, then why not just let Jolla use Harmattan??

If the device will be available this year, then my guess is the UI is on Qt 4.x.

The project sounds in some way like Maemo 5: more open, but less commercial apps (I assume this is a given for now). I truly hope the company is not only targeting geek audience, but doubt how they are going to market the device to more general public without major commercial services available. For N9, at least there are some commercial ones like Skype and Nokia Map available...

UI and hw adaption are significant work, but the company seems to know clearly what it needs to do to get products out. I feel they are at an advantage to move fast now, unlike working in Nokia the goal was a wildly floating one and then management needed to deal with political craps. But then, I won't believe until the product is available.

Last edited by sony123; 2012-07-08 at 11:21.

Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
If the device will be available this year, then my guess is the UI is on Qt 4.x.
Jolla uses Mer. Mer is using Qt 5.

http://twitter.com/stskeeps/status/221695032309194752

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
What would be really interesting is if there is any relationship between the announcement and the news that Amazon is in the midst of developing a handset targeted at competing with iOS and Android.

If there was ever an opportunity for a MeeGo based OS to gain traction, it would be on the back of an existing "ecosystem" like Amazon's market....

Food for thought

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Good question. I'd say I'd pay up to 25% more for a device if they manufacture in a place with decent working conditions and let me know. So a €600-device from cheap china would turn into a €750-handset for me.

No idea at all if this could be enough, but I probably wouldn't want to invest more.
Well, you could buy an iPad mini just fine, then. It seems they are using their plant here in Brazil to produce the first batch, at least.

------------------------

And I look forward to the day Jolla Mobile gets bigger than Nokia and outright buys the remains of Elop's scorched earth tactics.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla