Active Topics

Hi all!

So here's the deal. After reading the N9 manual I was under the impression that when I enable automatic data connection and disable the background data connection, the phone would connect automatically whenever needed for syncing by itself and also disconnect itself when it's done. Instead it connects for syncing and then stay connected. On the other hand, when I turn on the power saving mode, it does indeed connect when I want to let's say open a web page and nicely disconnects itself after that, but it also turns off all the automated syncing.

So obviously, my question is, is there a way to have combination of both options? Letting the phone check automatically for newsfeeds, email etc but force it to disconnect itself automatically after it's done (or in some reasonable timeout) ?

PS: Also I'd like to use this opportunity to thank everyone in this awesome community, I've just bought N9 and had N900 for 2 years before that and I must say I've been enjoying the community as much as hacking and simply having these awesome devices. So thanks!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zlucoblij For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Timisoara, Romania
Yes, I also miss this from the Symbian era

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 221 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Good post!

Even Symbian can do it but not my amazing N9... Sad.
goViihde, an Elisa Viihde client for N9
Shortcut Stash Home Screen Widget

Last edited by rooster13; 2012-06-29 at 18:59. Reason: Typos...

I also desired this feature, and also filed a bug on harmattan bugs, they did not seem to want to enable this option.

We can only hope some one from the community figures out how to do this.

It was like that in pr1.1 (at least for me it worked that way), but than pr1.2 somehow has a bug with this now... i hope its gonna get fixed in pr1.3

I'm glad I'm not the only one who misses this! Good to know that about the PR 1.1 too. I'd wait if 1.3 gets it fixed.

I also remember N900 having some Auto Disconnect app exactly for this, perhaps something could be tailored for N9 as well. If 1.3 won't fix that I guess I could look into it, I've never done Meego programing before (only python/qt for N900), but I've did some linux programming, basically monitoring sysfs for traffic on network interfaces and closing them if they don't change in some reasonable timeout should be doable I guess.

Posts: 418 | Thanked: 506 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Argentina
you just switch the AP from auto to manually.. very easy

Originally Posted by flotron View Post
you just switch the AP from auto to manually.. very easy
Then you don'r really have the automatic syncing, cause you need to confirm each connection, right?

Exactly and this is also something that makes me crazy...The whole background connection behavior on the N9 is a crap. Don't get me wrong...I love my N9...but this is my most desired wish, that they fix this issue with 1.3.

Btw, I alsomade the experience that while syncing in the background finally started working with 1.2 (without background connection) the connection stays then on for a long time, sometimes disconnects again, but generally behaves unpredicatably. This is annoying!

The problem seems to be that in 1.2 the N9 never really undestands when its idling and should disconnect again. Something that was no problem for my old Symbian phones. There are several bug reports related to this topic and I hope fixing this is part of the "Non-Feature" update 1.3...

Hmm, Makes me thing maybe there's some process that's keeping the connection alive then, that would render my method useless as well. I guess we just have to wait.