Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
the same environment in which i use instinctiv on the N900 and shazam on the N8
Developer asks for feedback to improve his app and you reply, "instinctiv and shazam can do it but yours can't." Try to be a bit more helpful.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Elleo View Post
Could you (and anyone else who's actually checking against songs known to work for some others) provide more information on your general environment? e.g. How loud was the music? How close were you to the speakers? Were you moving the phone in your hand much? In which direction was the phone facing relative to the speakers?

Thanks.
I tried different volumes, didn't seem to help at all, I was probably half a metre from the speakers in the centre of my speaker setup, music was loud enough to be picked up by a microphone.

I was holding the N9 in my hand as I normally would, one handed with my palm to the side of it, three finger spread from top to bottom and my little finger just supporting the base of the phone, I was definitely not blocking the microphone of the N9.

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 266 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
I tried different volumes, didn't seem to help at all, I was probably half a metre from the speakers in the centre of my speaker setup, music was loud enough to be picked up by a microphone.

I was holding the N9 in my hand as I normally would, one handed with my palm to the side of it, three finger spread from top to bottom and my little finger just supporting the base of the phone, I was definitely not blocking the microphone of the N9.
Thanks for the further info. I had been wondering if perhaps the people having trouble were playing things at a very high volume or were holding the phone very close to the speakers or something (resulting in clipping), but that doesn't seem to be the case here at any rate.

Does your speaker system consist of separate tweeters and sub-woofer? That might result in a different mix of bass and treble output than in the original recording, I'd need to investigate how much that might influence the algorithm if that's the case.

I'm just throwing ideas out at the moment though, so if there's anything else you can think of about your set up that might have an effect I'd be interested to hear it.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Really appreciate those who have so far shown examples of songs they are able to get Eyrie to detect successfully.

It really gives a good baseline that we can test against instead of throwing song after song at it randomly.

I've so far not been able to find any way to list out the EchoNest database so I can test a larger number of songs on Eyrie that are known to be in the EchoNest database.

Is there a master listing of what is in EchoNest so far in a place that can be viewed and compared?

Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
Is there a master listing of what is in EchoNest so far in a place that can be viewed and compared?
Here's the text summary list: http://echoprint-data.s3.amazonaws.c...-of-tracks.txt (it's 11mb, so you might want to download it and grep through it rather than trying to search it in your browser).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elleo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Elleo View Post
Does your speaker system consist of separate tweeters and sub-woofer? That might result in a different mix of bass and treble output than in the original recording, I'd need to investigate how much that might influence the algorithm if that's the case.
That shouldn't effect it, also my speakers are actually studio monitors, meaning that they are similar to what you have been used when producing tracks.

At any rate that shouldn't make any difference.

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

How about trying the beginning of the song and the middle of the song? Does that make any difference?

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
In my case dont work

Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
guys, don´t get me wrong as I really appreciate all of the OP´s efforts to make this work, but this app simply can´t ever come close to Shazam or SoundHound...the database is way too inferior to what we´d need in order to get a decent experience...sadly...
even worse, both Shazam and SoundHound were apparently bribed by Flop to totally not allow MeeGo and N9 users to have a chance to use these apps...I´m judging off their casual responses, like "we are aware of lack of the functionality of our app on MeeGo N9 platform, unfortunately we are not planning to release the version for your phone"

Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post
the database is way too inferior to what we´d need in order to get a decent experience
I think it's a mistake to assume the database will always be the size it currently is. Once the public fingerprint submission process is in place I plan on making various tools so that users can easily submit their fingerprints from their own music libraries, allowing us to crowd-source the problem of improving the database.

In addition to this EchoNest have a database of 30 million fingerprints using their old proprietary ENMFP algorithm, it's not unreasonable to assume that at some point in the future they might run these same tracks through the EchoPrint algorithm as well. Alongside that MusicBrainz is also getting involved in trying to improve the EchoPrint system and have their own EchoPrint test server setup (http://echoprint.musicbrainz.org/).

So while the database is too small at the moment, it will grow in time.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elleo For This Useful Post: