Is there a way I can remove all the 2 gb internal memory on this unit and combine it with my 8 gb card so I can have a full 10 gb memory?

Yes. Unless you want it to remain functional, then no.

(The internal memory is soldered onto the mainboard, AFAIK.)

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Maybe not !

I didn't mean physically remove it LOL I meant is it possible to remove all the memory from the 2 gb card?

Originally Posted by n810man913 View Post
I didn't mean physically remove it LOL I meant is it possible to remove all the memory from the 2 gb card?
Most of the internal memory is taken up by maps, if you don't care about the mapping application, then you can probably go ahead and nuke them.

Make a backup copy first though

Yeah, just delete the maps, that will take care of it. However, it still is only 2GB. I would just buy two 16gb cards....they should be out now, or very soon. If that is not enough, just buy a pouch or something that holds memory cards and carry a few 8gb/4gb mini's.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
FWIW: On my N810 I promptly deleted the "worthless" maps (IMHO) and I've partitioned my internal 2GB and I've flashed it installed a clone and am running KDE as my main desktop environment (which is the coolest thing ever!). I've got a 4GB that I use for music, movies, books etc in my external (removable) slot.

So YES - you can totally get rid of the maps on the internal card.

@Bart - the N810 don't take full size SD cards and only have one removable slot so the suggestion of a 16GB card won't work here because AFAIK - there is no such animal as a 16GB mini/micro SD

The Following User Says Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
@Bart - the N810 don't take full size SD cards and only have one removable slot so the suggestion of a 16GB card won't work here because AFAIK - there is no such animal as a 16GB mini/micro SD
I know, it takes the micro/mini cards. I mention 16gb cards because they should be out real soon. (hopefully along with 32gb full-size SD cards)

I read somewhere (I think Nokia technical) that 8 gig is the largest SD card the N810 will support.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
I read somewhere (I think Nokia technical) that 8 gig is the largest SD card the N810 will support.
This is incorrect. The SDHC standard (to which both mini and micro SDHC cards conform) is limited to 2048GB, so both the N810 and the N800 should be able to work with cards up to that capacity with no trouble.