Closed Thread
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Lemme guess... you're talking about woody and estel I take it?
...I won't do public name calling here. But guess as you like

Some of the people that I truly look forward to posting have been silent in this thread or reserved. So to see Marxian drop a post in this thread, I was surprised. But look at his tone, his activity and his participation. That dude gets what community means. The above... they're seemingly busy establishing themselves in a community as an outstanding individual that once you disagree with them, they'll state whatever they want, in a way that's not becoming of their station at times.
This. Seriously, this. And to be honest that's also one thing why i do not apply for anything council- community- etc. related: some(many) people would disagree with me or my tone; i'm not the coolest-headed, always civil or the like, so i definitely should not speak for community, and so on. Seems that others handle this differently.

(IIRC It was even stated in the application of one council member that a certain communication channel in relation to Nokia / a 3rd party involved should expect a quite different tone once he is voted in)

If this stuff was still based on karma points, I'd be a shoo-in. If this was based on community participation, I have to finally say that I get what Arie and (to a much lesser extent) abill_uk is stating... some of the aforementioned folks in this thread that are being questioned have stated that they will do nothing more for this community.
But you have read it; there's not much interest in this thread / topic anyway so we "kids" should go screw ourself
And as this came from council members it's official; no other opinion allowed here.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-06-23 at 20:36.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
At a time when we as a community need to stick together more than ever, the greed of certain individuals has already tainted the new council.

At this point there is nothing more I want to do with Harmattan or maemo.org.

I have been called a troll by council members and people that are clearly not aware of what I am trying to get across.

With this, Estel, Woody, Vi_, and the rest of those people can enjoy the end of an era.

I am done supporting the council in any of it's efforts, if anything is to happen to this community, I am placing the blame solely on you. You have destroyed a place that I had faith in and trusted, but to have certain people come out and treat me as such, has been completely disrespectful.

The council should be ashamed of it's conduct in this thread and no less towards people who have tried to help the community stay alive.

Thank you to all who have helped get my point out from itsnotabigtruck, creamy goodness, wolke, sifo, ZogG, thedead1440, marxian, abill_uk, and even Gerbick and anyone else you have forgotten.

I hope that the council is satisfied. You have created a bigger rift in between the communities and instead of trying to fix it, you have put us down, misinterpreted our statements and belittled us. All because you are interested in keeping a piece of outdated technology in your pocket. Bravo.

All you had to do to solve this issue was give up 2 devices to 2 people and I have no doubt no one would have complained.

You have earned yourselves a place as the worst council to come into history here, before even doing anything major.

Putting me on an ignore list won't solve your issue, there are so many more people fighting to get my point across.

Good Luck Maemo.org, you will need it.

SD69, thank you for all of your efforts so far in this community and I appreciate all the behind the scenes work you have done for us, we will forever be indebted to you for keeping this place running. You are one of the unsung hero's of maemo.org.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
Arie !
you cant leave maemo.org and non of the real members can do this you will be back im sure and if i were you i would never do that at least not for showing my weakness !
Good Luck

./sifo
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

The Following User Says Thank You to sifo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by sifo View Post
Arie !
you cant leave maemo.org and non of the real members can do this you will be back im sure and if i were you i would never do that at least not for showing my weakness !
Good Luck

./sifo
and just in time for post #1000 anniversary
Congratulations Arie.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
FTR

Noone will ever be on my ignore list!
Even the angriest bird had the right to beep

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
At a time when we as a community need to stick together more than ever...
... the unsung hero's of maemo.org.
OMG... this thing going on here is so sick.
37 pages desasterous talk in the results-thread which had a totally different intention. You guys should've known better.
Now such reactions...
Please everybody involved remake up your minds, were on the same path...

There are severe problems coming up for this great community in order to survive, don't hurt yourself.
There is work to be done to get a new infrastucture.
Watching this thread as a user is saddening me even more than recent NOKIA news.

I think the council should have the substantial devices. They should be handed out by maemo.org or the operating company if members don't already have one. Should be standard and already be in the budget, they do much work on our all main goals, I guess.
Then all this would have been obsolete.

Looks like the "old boys" still sticking to maemo5 have to be accuired to shift to harmattan, so they should be awarded for their input so far AND in order to keep meego alive. Jamming a wedge here is nonsense.

But my suggestions are just not within range ATM so I think the mentioned cmembers should reject the devices as accepting them really has a bad taste. Every politician would have to resign position due to mentioned moral issues and public pressure.

Just my 2 user-cents. Peace!
Current Maemo Community Council member

Last edited by Win7Mac; 2012-06-23 at 23:28. Reason: grammar

The Following User Says Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Switzerland/Zurich
Hi all!
I'm following this thread form the beginning and I can see that dispute is getting angrier and angrier all the time. I think this might be the solution to the problem:

As obviously, part of the community is dissatisfied with the results of CA awards and council granting themselves some of the prizes, I think it can not be ignored. Therefore I suggest there is a vote by community to resolve this issue. The vote to confirm what steps should be taken - is it to keep the current state of affairs or to review the results of CA. I guess that if most of the community agrees that current results are just, CA results will get the required legitimacy and we can go on waiting for PR 1.3 without all this nonsense. Otherwise, the preferred way if action will be described by community and hopefully the council members will comply; again, everybody will be satisfied, and able to focus on waiting for PR 1.3 !

Last edited by don.edri; 2012-06-23 at 22:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to don.edri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Sometimes life isn't fair, and there is no democracy. Just deal with it. Results are in and even if you don't agree with them, the best way to move forward is to come into terms that **** happens sometimes.

At least some people got new devices (not commenting if they deserved or not, most likely most of them did) and if we are lucky some of them will continue contributing to the community. Some will not, but that is normal (and there is no obligation to do so), bunch of previous round chosen ones have yet to produce a single app in Ovi store that they promised or have totally ignored TMO/IRC.

We can just hope that there will be yet another round of awards some day, and if there aren't, then you can always give positive feedback to individuals that you feel were wronged.

Most of the individuals in the community appreciate the positive feedback for their work. Positive feedback doesn't always need to be monetary or hardware (and I bet that individuals will provide you paypal details or snailmail address if you feel obligatory to donate something), a kind review or simple thanks on IRC usually helps the community to grow. At least it keeps me going when I hear kind words.

Having said that, I still plan to take part in coding competition...
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
No one has ever been on my ignore list.

I have no objection to the people on the Council getting awards.

I really didn't care much when Estel made it clear that he was nominating himself for an award. Sure, it was a conflict of interest, but one bad apple doesn't spoil the barrel.

When the whole council except one decided to emulate Estel, the story changed. It is dead obvious that choosing to give expensive gifts to themselves is not cool.

I tried to come up with a compromise to end the strife. No one proposed a different compromise, they simply rejected mine. I seem to be the only one who wants to come to agreement.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I tried to come up with a compromise to end the strife. No one proposed a different compromise, they simply rejected mine. I seem to be the only one who wants to come to agreement.
The problem is that I'm afraid there isn't a compromise that could be made - if the issue is that the council has awarded the prizes to itself, the only remediation is for those prizes not to be given.

Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Sometimes life isn't fair, and there is no democracy. Just deal with it. Results are in and even if you don't agree with them, the best way to move forward is to come into terms that **** happens sometimes.
This entire arrangement was created to present an illusion of "fairness" and "democracy". Life might not be fair, but that isn't a reason not to try and make it more so, and it's certainly not an excuse to justify doing otherwise.

Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
We can just hope that there will be yet another round of awards some day, and if there aren't, then you can always give positive feedback to individuals that you feel were wronged.
Everyone here knows perfectly well that apart from the coding competition, no such thing will ever happen. This site won't even be here in no time. That's precisely why this thread has become so bitter on both sides.

It's not so much that anyone 'deserved' a phone - no one has a God-given right to free equipment. However, this program was created specifically to award people with the most influential Maemo/Harmattan-related work. That means it's everyone's business when that program is ransacked for personal gain - especially with the disgraceful behavior of certain councilors before, during, and after the nomination period.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to itsnotabigtruck For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
award, community, council, device, outcry