Active Topics

Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Thanks marxian. Finally, a maemo high-priest saying it as it is...thanks...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
They know it, but they don't 'get' it. That's the problem. They are the ones responsible for this mess. Had they acted differently, we wouldn't be 'wasting' time on this. All I've seen is individual council members trying to absolve themselves of any responsibility by suggesting that it's down to the rest of us to ensure they don't act in an inappropriate manner ('you should have complained beforehand' etc). It's a cop-out.
So vote for some other in 5 months time or even better. Lead the way.

You have my vote.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Subsidiarily, the community council has volunteered to give a lot of their free time to the community. And believe me, it is a frigging lot of time
Indeed. To put this in perspective, the retail price of an N9 is maybe a couple of days' work tops at market rates for people with the skills of the average award candidate.

Life's too short for this sort of grief. If I was in the council and had to put up with this, I would resign, hand back the N9-whatever[1], and tell the "community" to go hang itself.

[1] Hypothetically speaking - not that I would willingly use one, you understand

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
why does www.rzr.online.fr not have a thanks! button on his posts?
Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
Neither, I dont see any on your previous post ... weird but who cares ?
Originally Posted by Dousan View Post
Lol has also been thinking of this.

Regards Dousan...
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
strange huh? he cant thank any1 while no1 can thank him...is it due to the user name (i.e. website)?
Probably, it's another conspiracy, meant to cut nuts from Arie's front of Harmattan guerrillas. I demand council to give their "thanks" buttons back, to the poll, resign, and throw ash in their head. It's unacceptable!

Seriously though, he just need to confirm his e-mail address in profile, probably
---

Originally Posted by Felipe Crochik
Hi,

First of all: Thanks! I am honored!!
Second: I think you did a great job selecting the "winners" and I didn't think it was possible with such a list. I exchanged a few texts with Niel trying to decide whether I should accept the prize or not. In the process I spent some time reviewing the applicants and the council selection and was pleasant surprised that pretty much anybody that after reading the application I would like to see get a device was already selected.

Since this is an award for past contributions and it seems that anybody that was not selected, and probably should, has already a harmattan device anyway, I would like to keep my "title" but donate my prize to the software competition. I would to suggest it to be a prize for the best maemo/n900 application so we may see more of those.

It seems that now I will have to work harder to get a n9 in the software competition - back to coding!

Thanks,
Felipe
^^^ This, plus posts from few absolutely guru'ish Community Members (and many other Contributors, too) + lack of interest on this topic, amongst non-troll part of Maemo population, concludes it for me.

Unsubscribing - have fun, kids.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-06-23 at 18:43.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by lma View Post

Life's too short for this sort of grief. If I was in the council and had to put up with this, I would resign, hand back the N9-whatever[1], and tell the "community" to go hang itself.

[1] Hypothetically speaking - not that I would willingly use one, you understand
Really? you reckon they will do this???

Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
For whoever cares

I thanked estel on this post :
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=354

after I did change my own email address ...

now you can thank me at will :
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...56#post1226156

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :

http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6#

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register...e=g8ikZmcfEJy#

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to www.rzr.online.fr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
So vote for some other in 5 months time or even better. Lead the way.

You have my vote.
lol, s this is the option? If i see something wrong with community and council i would tell it and not keep quite. And it's just coz i care about community. Otherwise i'll go away and wouldn't come back. My choice is simple, to stay here and improve what we have, fix things or just to go away. And i think it bothers a lot people.

And all the answers of separete council telling different story around the topic, even sometimes saying opposite things than others. Or silent treatment, to answer just specific post they can handle — it's simple politic strategies. When u are wrong and even you know, but you just decide to walk away.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
For whoever cares

I thanked estel on this post :
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=354

after I did change my own email address ...

now you can thank me at will :
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...56#post1226156
Brilliant, I meant to ask you about that as well. I'm off to cyber stalk your old posts now.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
...am i the only one wondering why collecting more & more people on your ignore list (f.e. if you don't agree with them/their opinions) seems anti-social and 'immature', so to speak unworthy of a council member that acts in the public?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
...am i the only one wondering why collecting more & more people on your ignore list (f.e. if you don't agree with them/their opinions) seems anti-social and 'immature', so to speak unworthy of a council member that acts in the public?
Lemme guess... you're talking about woody and estel I take it?

Woody came here, full of fire. I can appreciate his willingness to admit when he's wrong.

Estel, to be honest... I've avoided his posts because his tone is not one that I could acquire a taste for. He's rather acerbic and I cannot say that I agree with ½ of what he says, if anything to be honest - mainly due to tone.

vi, same. His tonality has been an issue for me on many posts where his point was great, but the delivery was my issue.

The above two have the same manner of speaking as the only person on my ignore list, benny1967.

Some of the people that I truly look forward to posting have been silent in this thread or reserved. So to see Marxian drop a post in this thread, I was surprised. But look at his tone, his activity and his participation. That dude gets what community means. The above... they're seemingly busy establishing themselves in a community as an outstanding individual that once you disagree with them, they'll state whatever they want, in a way that's not becoming of their station at times.

And they got rewarded for that behavior it seems.

If this stuff was still based on karma points, I'd be a shoo-in. If this was based on community participation, I have to finally say that I get what Arie and (to a much lesser extent) abill_uk is stating... some of the aforementioned folks in this thread that are being questioned have stated that they will do nothing more for this community.

And they got rewarded for that behavior too, it seems.

Meh, complaining about it ad nauseum won't change anything. Nor adding them to an ignore list. The last breaths of this forum will end up being sullied by rewarding such individuals and come January, this place will invariably get shuttered because funding has been removed, nobody will be able to legally take the autobuilder and repositories away with Maemo/MeeGo code in it.

Funny thing. I vowed to not put my name in the running for anything after I had a rather nasty dispute with Quim about why I wasn't awarded a N950 the first time because I had three Android applications that I was willing to port - two were already in the Android Market - and I was quickly learning Qt.

I have to hand it to him. He stayed civil, even kind in all of his responses to me. Didn't have to be that way, but he was. Compare that to this thread; I cannot say that I'm a fan of how many people are acting.

I've since placed Qt on the back-burner, in fact I'll probably not go back to it since Nokia has abandoned it and only RIM is going to use it and I'm definitely not a RIM/Blackberry fan. I guess that was a blessing in disguise.

Cooler heads need to prevail. Calm down folks. It's just a device that we didn't get. And I repeat... if you have a guilty conscience, feel free to send me yours.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
award, community, council, device, outcry