Active Topics

Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
great,i hope that when it's out that i'll be able to run it on meego on n900

Originally Posted by Danny_Mugen View Post
However it ain't happening, Nokia ain't buying no OEM, and Google is not going to let us use ACL. Maybe for true MeeGo devices but not for Harmattan.
I'm not entirely sure Google would prevent the user of OpenMobile's ACL, given that I have been running Bluestacks on Windows recently when I need to run an Android app. They haven't moved to block that (and Windows wasn't open source last time I checked), and it still benefits Google somewhat as their marketplace gets more customers.

However, OpenMobile seem to be trying to support so many platforms, I'm not sure what resource they have to support that?

So there is a small chance that perhaps we will one day see Instagram and Shazam on the N9 (without booting fully into Android).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to caa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by caa View Post
However, OpenMobile seem to be trying to support so many platforms, I'm not sure what resource they have to support that?
I don't think they will 'support' ANY OF THEM.

Just provide the functionality, give us a release that works, and leave it at that, but that is all we really need.

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following User Says Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
I'll believe it when I see it. Unfortunately I don't think Harmattan is on OpenMobile's priority list. Remember eBuddy? Don't forget that we also have NitDroid and that definitely isn't vapourware although development seems to have slowed down.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
no offence to the project, but its just not worth it for some of us, to boot into NITdroid just to use that one single application, am sure using ACL is faster than rebooting into NITdroid and opening the applicaton.

I don't understand why people are talking **** about bloaty Android, yes it does run on a virtual machine, that's how the system works, and its worked pretty damn well for them to make a full system has it not? In the video is showed that people could still multitask and would not "freeze" processes. All ACL is, is Java + Whatever google added in(classes, and functions wise).

People instantly talking **** about Android have there head up there own ***, as if they could create a better OS...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Vaporware for sure.
It soon will be one year from the first announcement...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aShtk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
no offence to the project, but its just not worth it for some of us, to boot into NITdroid just to use that one single application, am sure using ACL is faster than rebooting into NITdroid and opening the applicaton.
Yes, agreed, dual booting is not an ideal solution. It is much better to be able to run Android apps from within Harmattan. But let's not get excited on the basis of a one paragraph blog post. OpenMobile has announced ACL for Harmattan since Q4 last year and nothing to show for it except this one post. I may be wrong but Alien Dalvik, Peregrine, LiveProfile and eBuddy have made me a little doubtful.

Last edited by SamGan; 2012-06-19 at 13:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aShtk View Post
Vaporware for sure.
It soon will be one year from the first announcement...
How does that make it vapourware?

Because it took them a year to produce something decent?

Seriously?? You realise most Operating systems are in the work for several years before they are even Release Candidate ready..

Time doesnt make it vapourware, vapourware is stuff that never goes anywhere, not stuff that takes awhile to be made..

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
You can't tell people to go get another phone just cause you don't like something, where the hell has qt gotten us? Nokia effectively killed any development through it by announcing the n9 as dead and with all the purple there firing and the tweet that said java is for the next billion what more can Nokia do to kill this already weak ecosystem
yet another reason go android device then. i dont see why you people want too stay with n9 if there is "no qt apps" and want android apps instead?? are those Android existing phone so bad?

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-06-19 at 16:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
I think what people want is an n900 version 2, that boots into maemo/meego, Has a keyboard, or one that can be attached. Can multi task like an n900 and has thhe desktop etc. AND can connect to the google play market and do all that stuff just by pressing a button, like you would on an android device. Plus run full web pages, with latest flash and all that.
That's certainly what I would like. Unfortunately it doesn't exist, and as my beloved n900 is starting to get a bit slow on the web these days I got myself an android. I wanted updated hardware to be able to surf the web faster plus other things. I got a galaxy note. It's good and fast with a great screen, but there are annoyances with it because it can't do some eimple things that are a breeze on the n900.

Manufacturers are't making what would be the perfect device. Maybe deliberately so we are forced to keep upgrading. If they made something like a note, with a slide out/attachable keyboard that could run maemo and android. If they don't want to use maemo or meego, why couldn't they just design some kind of over-arching task manager themselves and make it fit in with android? If they made that device then customers would have no need to buy again for 2 or 3 years.
Perhaps it is just lazyness.
It's the same with hardware buttons. The trend is to have less and less. No, give me more you idiot manufacturers. Don't just blindly follow what apple did last summer because you think the kids will say it's cool. It is all giving us consumers less and less choice, forcing us down the route where eventually we'll just have a pebble or something, with no buttons at all on it. They'll all look the same and you'll have to shake them in certain ways to activate things on it. The only differences will be that a different logo is on the side depending on who made it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kyllerbuzcut For This Useful Post:

Tags
android clones, clone_wars, hope...