Active Topics

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
It is bad cause it hurt QT. But you dont care about that, However I do care. I want more native Qt Apps! Thats the difference! f those people ported some apps to harmattan instead of this ridicilous project that NEVER will integrate well on Maemo6.
This won't stop our community devs making Qt apps! It just means the end-users within us can get some more useful app thats missing from our N9's and are NOT going to make their way to our platform.

What good is a Qt based app if it cant perform the same as the original Android/iOS app due to copyrighted software..

Im all for Qt apps! But there are a few apps that I would like to have! Shazam, Android/iOS Facebook, Instagram, BBC iPlayer,Chrome Browser or Android Firefox!

They aren't coming to the N9 at all as its dead (commercially). I don't see a point being against this from happening now instead of having to wait for BB10 to make these commercial apps for a resolution that doesn't match our phone and won't have its source released so the porting to our N9 will be at the developers whim, meaning unlikely..

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
well go get a android device then. There is plenty of them.
If you keep telling everyone that does not agree with your statements or have any critics on your qt5 to go get another brand. Who the H3ll are you making your mobile apps for (if you even make any of them).

The Following User Says Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
You can't tell people to go get another phone just cause you don't like something, where the hell has qt gotten us? Nokia effectively killed any development through it by announcing the n9 as dead and with all the purple there firing and the tweet that said java is for the next billion what more can Nokia do to kill this already weak ecosystem

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ london
i agree with m4r0v3r "Nokia" itself is trying to kill its own software development platform i.e Qt and meltemi because its a financial burden for them self... there is no next billion Qt devices, as they have gone all in with "WP" which dosen't use Qt as a dev environment.... just my 2 cents

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
you're missing the point. Once something like ACL becomes available, it will affect all of us, even if we (our some of us) don't instal it. It will affect us because, as I wrote above, it will weaken our own ecosystem even further. If you want Android applications and don't mind the firm google grip, get an Android phone. I don't use one because I want to keep away from google. I chose the n9/n900 knowing that they'd have less developer support... but they were free. Buying and using them is a statement against a world of apples and googles. There's no point in letting google in through the backdoor now.
You are a funny man Benny. Let me ask you this. I hate android, I so hate android but I love Harmattan UI, I love it. I love all the unique features of Harmattan unfortunately I need a library of apps that I am really missing from my phone, but I don't like android phones see. Now this will let me keep my N9 and give a great selection of apps.

This weakening of the eco system you are talking about, when was the last time you made an app for the Nokia N9 that was really practical and useful. I have owned an N9 from day 1, however I am yet to see a single word processing app than can edit documents. And that is very sad because it is so basic. There hasnt been an ecosystem for a while (Being Impactful not in the literal sense). I dont remember the last time I bought an app from the Nokia store because I have no use for them. Dont get me wrong the document editor is the tip of the iceberg, if I wanted to list more apps needed for the N9 that neither you nor the eco system are working on I would probably go starving for days.

So this measly, unsupported, dying ecosystem that you have let it go for the greater good. Let me and a hell of a lot of other people
have the beautiful N9 and more mainstream apps. That is my view.

However it ain't happening, Nokia ain't buying no OEM, and Google is not going to let us use ACL. Maybe for true MeeGo devices but not for Harmattan.

Originally Posted by Muzimak View Post
What do you mean "My Conclusions"??? As if I always make unrealistic comments? I was just asking a question, if U don't know the answer shut up!
No MuziMak you dont make unrealistic comments but silly ones. Your first question on the thread the answer is once you emulate the architecture of a system, there is no need to port apps one by one, There is no need to port at all, the architecture is there,

Your second question on the thread why would Harmattan users want a library of Symbian apps when Android apps are greater in number. Also it would be Nokia's decision to let people port these apps onto the Harmattan system. Why do you think people cant even port N900 or Maemo 5 Fremantle apps onto Harmattan when they are similar? Nokia prevents that. So why would an outside company like open mobile tap into such a small market when they can have a bigger one like the android market.

The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_Mugen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't remember the ability to run Palm apps wreaking any particular havoc on the "ecosystem" here. Translation: I think the ability to run more programs from wherever is a Good Thing. And I do have an Android tablet lying about ten inches from here. And I have an N9 lying about six inches from here. But I am enjoying my N900 keyboard anyway. Let's face it: there are damn few real loyalists left, we are all mongrels now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Danny_Mugen View Post
However it ain't happening, Nokia ain't buying no OEM, and Google is not going to let us use ACL. Maybe for true MeeGo devices but not for Harmattan.
Why do you think Google wouldn't want to let you use ACL? I keep seeing people on this forum say this but I've never seen Google prevent someone from running Android apps anywhere or even stripping Android down to use it as a customized OS (think BB's Play tablet compatibility with Android apps, Amazon's Kindle Fire and all the Nook tablets and e-readers.. yes, I even own an e-ink Nook Touch that clearly is running Android and responds to my adb commands over USB).

This would be a BENEFIT to Google, not a detriment. Hell, if it means you see ads by Google in the free apps... win for them! If it means you use the Play store to download and pay for apps.. win again!

So again... why do people keep saying stuff like this without pointing out any kind of evidence or a trend? Near as I can tell, there's plenty trending against such a theory. Go! Demand Android compatibility! We of the Android army welcome you with open arms!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2012-06-17 at 05:41.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
If I wanted crappy Android apps on my phone I have bought a damn Android device instead. If it even works it will be slow and eating CPU because android is bloated.. Then people will cry about "how bad HW N9 has"

So no this is not "excellent news"

Excelent news is when we get Qt5 from the FOSS community. And hopefully a last update PR1.3 from Nokia.

Please move this thread to Android fanboys subforum.
well go get a android device then. There is plenty of them.
While I do agree with you that I would take native applications over non-native ones any day, I disagree with you because you seem to have that holier-than-thou attitude, as if your narrow and, quite frankly, useless opinion is the only opinion that matters. This is excellent news because it adds value to the MeeGo platform, specifically to our N9s and N950s. Sure, there are a lot of crappy Android apps, but there are also a vast amount of apps that are actually pretty good and well written. The same can be said to our app library. Just look at the Nokia store. Tons of useless "news applications" that are nothing more than shortcuts to websites. Of course, lots of nice ones too.

This project adds value to our devices, hence it is excellent news. I would rather have "the option", rather than have "no option at all".

No single platform can be absolutely perfect. It's a fact of life. The same way no single country produces everything it needs and has no need for relations with other countries.

By no means was this a fanboy topic. It's just that some people here think they know everything and that they are very well respected, but in reality, most people think they are shallow-minded mongrels who are in over their heads.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lifeintheblitz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by lifeintheblitz View Post
This project adds value to our devices, hence it is excellent news. I would rather have "the option", rather than have "no option at all".
Oh look! You finally have Flash 11 running on your Nokia! Fiiiiinally. Oh wow.. and maybe even Chrome browser as yet another option for browsing? Bravo! Finally!

See how that works? I'm in total agreement.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Tags
android clones, clone_wars, hope...