Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
... Qt, which today is used largely in embedded devices.
“We’re fans of Qt, and we’ll continue to support it in the near term, but are being open about looking for opportunities which may be best for this developer framework,” Kerris said.
from allthingsd

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by myname24 View Post
@felipec

Thanks for the birthday present Mr. Elop.
Second Linux platform I work in Nokia,
and gets killed. I wonder when will he
admit WP failed.

Mexican software engineer and open
source advocate working at Maemo,
Nokia

Bad days are coming ...
Elop must have read the Forbes article and thought he'd help out
http://www.forbes.com/sites/adrianki...windows-phone/

Joking aside, I'm sorry to hear about people losing their jobs in such a difficult period. That is far worse than this community losing yet another platform.

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
from allthingsd
What now of Quim?

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Everyone knows that there is a deal with Microsoft and that Microsoft is sinking in money into Nokia to see if they can get a foot in the door of the Mobile market.

If it wasn't for Microsoft's "huge" financial backing Elop's strategy would have killed Nokia already. So, yes it is a partnership. Nokia helps Microsoft, Microsoft helps Nokia. But, the risk for Nokia is much higher since it means all or nothing. Microsoft could be badly hurt by a failed Nokia, but it will likely survive. Unless, of course, Microsft is determined to make Nokia + Windows Phone succeed and keeps sinking money into the black hole.
It's little bit more complicated. In last Nokia quarter fillings there is paragraph saying the money from Microsoft (aka "platform support") will be almost offsetted by minimal licenses payment from Nokia to Microsoft. Over the duration of the deal the flows amount to billions of dollars and if Nokia takes just the minimal licenses they signed for it will result in slightly positive net money flow to Nokia.

The interesting question is how this netting works in reality. Is Microsoft sending Nokia real money now and Nokia had to pay it back in the future? And if that's the case what will happen if the WP doesn't pan out, is Nokia going to be on the hook for billions of dollars? Or are these 250 millions per quarter accounting gimmick and Nokia is paying for the WP marketing with own hard money, Microsoft giving them just "free" WP licenses?

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Ah wait, Vertu, the only part of Nokia that made a profit has also been sold now too. Can this really get any worse?

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Originally Posted by umo120 View Post
It's little bit more complicated. In last Nokia quarter fillings there is paragraph saying the money from Microsoft (aka "platform support") will be almost offsetted by minimal licenses payment from Nokia to Microsoft. Over the duration of the deal the flows amount to billions of dollars and if Nokia takes just the minimal licenses they signed for it will result in slightly positive net money flow to Nokia.

The interesting question is how this netting works in reality. Is Microsoft sending Nokia real money now and Nokia had to pay it back in the future? And if that's the case what will happen if the WP doesn't pan out, is Nokia going to be on the hook for billions of dollars? Or are these 250 millions per quarter accounting gimmick and Nokia is paying for the WP marketing with own hard money, Microsoft giving them just "free" WP licenses?
What Nokia gets is to guide WP into a direction that suits them. In that light they may actually be doing the right thing.

I cannot believe that the entire Nokia board are *****s, I refuse to, and in that light this doesn't look all that bad.

WP7 will be low end to mid end. WP8 will be high end. WP7 is a terrible smartphone OS, but a very good feature phone OS. WP8 may end up being very good because Nokia is in charge lf the design and architecture. This makes sense. It is the only thing that makes sense. The 20 June we will find out. Just a slightly more positive theory than presuming everybody at Nokia are *****s.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia
There must be something! otherwise i cant understand why the hell they didnt fired him yet!!!

I though its becoz of meltemi, but if its dead then what? I know he said WP will go more down 610, what else? Qt for WP?

Gosh I have android\iOS hope to see some gd news tomorrow ;(

Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
Originally Posted by specc View Post
What Nokia gets is to guide WP into a direction that suits them. In that light they may actually be doing the right thing.

I cannot believe that the entire Nokia board are *****s, I refuse to, and in that light this doesn't look all that bad.

WP7 will be low end to mid end. WP8 will be high end. WP7 is a terrible smartphone OS, but a very good feature phone OS. WP8 may end up being very good because Nokia is in charge lf the design and architecture. This makes sense. It is the only thing that makes sense. The 20 June we will find out. Just a slightly more positive theory than presuming everybody at Nokia are *****s.

If Nokia is indeed getting special privileges to guide WP8 development into a direction they want then history itself is proof of what Nokia is capable of doing.

As an example...look at the origin of Symbian right from the time of EPOC aka Psion days to what Nokia made it up until the point of the N95.

So if Nokia wants to fully focus on WP8 to make it the next best OS then this would probably be the last and only best option they have since all their eggs are now with Windows Phone.

If not then they will just bleed and finally die in oblivion....

... Qt, which today is used largely in embedded devices.
“We’re fans of Qt, and we’ll continue to support it in the near term, but are being open about looking for opportunities which may be best for this developer framework,” Kerris said.
Well I think I found the appropriate song for today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b26BD5KjH0

The doors - the end. Apocalypse now intro

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post

How long does he think that the "strategy is evolving" bullcrap is going fly? Two years of that same old routine and same old hollow words. At least come up with new punchline for not saying anything with any real content.

Tags
downward_spiral, fu_flop, memories