Closed Thread
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Can we have this discussion anywhere else please?! I don't mind trolling in offtopic though... seriously!

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
EDIT: Just the second I hit "save" I recognized that 75 devices can only be won by coders, there should be put special value to non-coders for these 25 CA devices here! What do you think?
Tend to agree, but then again there's coders whom are also great community contributors in a non-coding sense.
And their work may not be eligible for the other categories, or make the cut, so it's a tough one for you guys

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
You think email is too elitist? Email? You are advocating a pretty low barrier to entry to the discussion if email is too hard.
A poor choice of words I guess...
I was suggesting discussing a system that better interfaces with the wider community, & in a manner that won't get chaotic like threads can.
I guess it's a "lowered barrier of entry" as you put it, but it can also be a system that allows a far larger group to evaluate/vote-for nominees.
Anyway as said, off-topic....

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-06-01 at 12:13. Reason: typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Me thinks you should re-read the starting post, you are eligible if you have done good for the community in the past - especially non-coding, as there are 75 devices for coding-only available.

See Quim's Thread

EDIT: Just the second I hit "save" I recognized that 75 devices can only be won by coders, there should be put special value to non-coders for these 25 CA devices here! What do you think?
Let's remember that the 3 others awards (Coding Competition, Apps for Nokia Store and Qt 5 @ Harmattan) don't fit a lot of great community work done here, like overclocking, Inception, open mode kernel, kernel power, usb-host mode, etc. I.e., there are great community developers (not me !) who have chance only here in the community awards.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
^Exactly.....
I wonder if we can twist the rules a bit to allow devs of those initiatives to be eligible for Coding Comp & Apps for Nokia Store? (I imagine the latter would be nigh on impossible )

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-06-01 at 05:01.

Last question is asked in wrong place, as they're not organized by Council.

Yet, I suppose, that answer from QT5 and Nokia Store would be "no" - for obvious reasons. Probably, same apply for Coding Competition - it's clearly about new programs.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Sorry for continuing the off-topic but I feel obliged to agree with jalyst. It's not difficult to use mail, but mailing lists are something the average user isn't used to anymore, they have been superceded by other mediums. The mail archive is next to impossible to read as the discussions are often broken into seperate mails and one cannot follow the conversation. Gmail is perfect for mailing lists as it groups the messages nicely and hides the long quoted messages but not everybody uses gmail. Also the fact that if you send a mail to the maemo mailing list it gets stuck forever in a moderation queue and there is nowhere stated that you have to subscribe to waive that is another barrier. I fear that some people have nominated themselves and wait for their message to be approved in futility. (I had nominated myself for the Q2 2011 council election which did not have enough candidates but my mail still waits for moderation).

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Go here to subscribe to the mailling-list:
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/list...aemo-community

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Let's remember that the 3 others awards (Coding Competition, Apps for Nokia Store and Qt 5 @ Harmattan) don't fit a lot of great community work done here, like overclocking, Inception, open mode kernel, kernel power, usb-host mode, etc. I.e., there are great community developers (not me !) who have chance only here in the community awards.
Good start but then you start of listing things most should not count (overclocking are you nuts?). Contributions to KP and CSSU on the other hand should well count.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Last question is asked in wrong place, as they're not organized by Council....
/Estel
Sorry dude, just fail... to tell people off that way, what are you again? Ah member of the council... right... make it happen, who else could do if the council doesn't? (Just to prevent ah moaning bandwagon behaviour reply: I know you have no power over it but you are in the position to talk with someone who has the power to swap devices from the other categories to CA, one job of your new position!)

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Sorry for continuing the off-topic but ...
There is no channel more appropriate than the mailinglist. Full-stop!
TMO is not maemo.org but used by its members. (thought I did not need to elaborate this as it is widely known). Do you want to use the garage system or even bugzilla for this or maybe #maemo?

Stop it now!

Last edited by chemist; 2012-06-01 at 13:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Sorry dude, just fail... to tell people off that way
That didn't look like telling people off to me, simply stating facts.

what are you again? Ah member of the council... right... make it happen, who else could do if the council doesn't?
The council has no power over Nokia store policies and interference with the coding competition would be outside its scope.

Just to prevent ah moaning bandwagon behaviour reply: I know you have no power over it but you are in the position to talk with someone who has the power to swap devices from the other categories to CA, one job of your new position!
And what would the justification be for doing that? What makes one of these categories more "worthy" than the others?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Good start but then you start of listing things most should not count (overclocking are you nuts?). Contributions to KP and CSSU on the other hand should well count
Why the work on overclocking (OC) N900 & N9/N950 can't be considered as useful for the Maemo/MeeGo community ? Like, for example, the work of Creamy Goodness with a nice GUI for Harmattan OC ? His work can't be applied to Nokia Store awards, neither Qt5 @ Harmattan awards, and I am not sure it can participate in Coding Competition awards.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
awards, community, council, maemo, nokia