Active Topics

Sorry for bumping long-sleeping thread, but what is current status of that? I wasn't able to find any reliable source of information, yet, article mentioned in first post citied results from actual playback. It seemed to be "almost finished" - is it possible, that it have been abandoned, so close to completion?

I'm asking this, because Theora is currently really efficient and IMO beats out competing formats (not to mention all royalty-free things), + works fine on our bellowed device.

At the same time, current implementation seems to sue CPU exclusively - having DSP support for it would be great, *GREAT* thing to have (especially, considering over-clocked DSP as per HD Video playback/recording by freemangordon and overall kernel-power).

Pali or anyone else knowledgeable - if it isn't implemented yet (as it seems), any way it could be? As I've said, this article:
http://blog.mjg.im/2010/04/16/theora-on-n900.html
...quotes data from actual playback, so it doesn't seems to need high amount of work put into, to be day-to-day usable.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
@Estel: Try ask Felipe Contreras (felipec on TMO). He worked on DSP and Maemo Multimedia. He should know if there is theora DSP implementation of not.

I've talked a little about it (although not with Felipe), and it seems that there is actually leonora (Theora DSP implementation) working fine, yet, the problem is to draw it on the screen - OpenGL/bc-cat can be used to do this, yet, bc-cat is TI implementation, and refereed to be "buggy as hell".

It got some code open, and since article mentioned in first page, there were few new versions on bc-cat, so who knows? Also, author of parfts of the code mentioned some kernel bug on Maemo, that possibly could be fixable by our kernel-power dream-team.

IRC log starting around here (quite interesting reading material):
http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-irclog/%23mae...04-07T04:54:15
...and ends, when talking about debugging USB hostmode starts (no Theora further from that point).

/Estel

// Edit

It seems, that kernel bugs would be fixable, and ARM optimizations/leonora get streamlined into main Theora (AIUI from IRC talk), so only problem lies in bc-cat. Yet, AFAIK, no one tried latest bc-cat, at least to see if it still throws errors/occasional reboots.

Having DSP accelerated Theora would be really a *big* thing.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-04-07 at 18:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
And how is MPEG or H264 drawing to screen? Cannot be used it for Theora too?

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post: