Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
i second that. I've installed nitdroid on my n9 and use my bro's sgs2 but n9 just feels more polished. Yes the apps are missing but i don't use 90% of what i install on my n9 too so that doesn't worry me. The n9 is what suits my needs n is beautiful but always buy what suits you.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
get n9 for its design, swipe and nitroid(games, apps that are not available for harmattan)

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
get n9 for its design, swipe and nitroid(games, apps that are not available for harmattan)
he asking about development thing, and are you sure nitdroid on ur n9 will not brick and harm the system of meego itself later?

meego>android i agree
but from developing side android is always better(its has massive support)

better wait for tizen now

http://blog.gsmarena.com/tizen-and-b...est-benchmark/

Originally Posted by Prozac786 View Post
I'm actually an owner of both devices, N9 and SGS2 so I'll see if my experiences can help you.

-snip-

Simply put, no matter how many reasons I look for, or excuses I make to try and use my N9 as much as possible, it is only because of its visual design. The bottom line is, I always come back to the S2 for my daily, personal, bussines and developement needs as it is just infinitely more suited to them!
Must be one of the longest I have read But it "sums" it up. However, it is not Android as such that is the main thing here, it is Samsung. What has Android been without Samsung? The top of the line Galaxys has paved the way for every other Android phone (and left HTC long way back in the dust)

So, more simply put: Samsung is the new Nokia With Tizen coming this is the cold hard truth, not just a funny saying. But then again, there is Meltemi, ahh well.

Had to snip it due to this:
The text that you have entered is too long (15497 characters). Please shorten it to 15000 characters long.

Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
i dont think SGS2 beats N9 hardware in all ways. For me N9 has better camera (obviously), better screen (NOT talking about size), better radio coverage (key point 1), the battery lasts more than SGS2 with identical use (key point 2) and have some other features not present in the samsung phone.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Buenos Aires.
After meet MeeGo i can say, i won't comeback to Android anymore.
I think i'll only change it by Tizen or maybe maybe some Lumia.
Android is good but it's emulated Linux, thats the reason because it will never be fast.
You have to decide what you want., if you want to develop try MeeGo you have a lot to develop. In Android there's a lo of development of course, only if you have a great idea you can excel.
But it's your choice after all.
Anyway, your choice will be good. There's no wrong answer

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
i dont think SGS2 beats N9 hardware in all ways. For me N9 has better camera (obviously), better screen (NOT talking about size), better radio coverage (key point 1), the battery lasts more than SGS2 with identical use (key point 2) and have some other features not present in the samsung phone.
This addresses the development question somehow, right?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
lol
armcortexA9 vs A8
dualcore vs singlecore
mali400mp vs sgx530
expandable storage vs built-in
replaceable battery

camera? sgs2 is better, i have both

only multitasking thing sgs2 is falling down and of course the OS itself, and the price(LOL)

The Following User Says Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
For me the question is more to the tune: still get a 64GB N9 or wait for the Galaxy S3. Though nothing is officially confirmed for the S3 it's safe to assume it will be a noticeable upgrade from the S2, current rumours are summed here. The S2 is the most popular Android phone and the momentum will carry over to the S3 unless it's a complete dud.

For dev purposes arguments for S3 > N9 would be:
  • more CPU (can't have enough for compiling etc., smooth multitasking, ablity to write/test code utilizing multiple cores)
  • more screen estate, probably 1280x720 like the Nexus (if only to have a VNC session to your desktop eclipse at usable resolution, or do it locally using a parallel install of Ubuntu)
  • very likely more support by the maker for any software issues (OS functionality, drivers, e.g. to code apps supporting NFC for payments)
  • (may have replaceable battery = more coding time off the (power) grid)
  • (may have a MicroSD slot which makes testing and categorizing many things a lot easier, at least for me)

Arguments N9 > S3:
  • if you like to write apps with QT the N9 would be a native platform
  • it's also becoming a usable native Linux solution (i.e. not castrated by Aegis)
  • Maemo legacy: if you're feeling sentimental about the "last true Linux phone made by Nokia"; if you have code that worked on previous NITs it might be easy to port over to the N9

Yes, for me the last one is actually a valid point and one of the reasons I haven't completely written off the N9 yet, this might very well be the last high-end original Nokia phone, the last in a great line of devices that represented vision, innovation and ingenuity (hindered only by lousy marketing and even worse management). Lets keep an eye out for Symbian and Meltemi, but I don't have high hopes given Nokia's current priorities.

When the Nitdroid alpha was released I was almost tempted to get the N9, but my N900s cautioned me to not make rash decisions purely based on looks, so I'll heed their advice and wait to see what the S3 brings to the table .

The Following User Says Thank You to nephridium For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
lol
armcortexA9 vs A8
dualcore vs singlecore
mali400mp vs sgx530
expandable storage vs built-in
replaceable battery

camera? sgs2 is better, i have both

only multitasking thing sgs2 is falling down and of course the OS itself, and the price(LOL)
Then you should compare it to a device that is more than 16 months ago, the SGS:
SGS vs N9 (bold means superior)
4.0" vs 3.9"
800x480 vs 854x400
PenTile vs PenTile
SuperAMOLED vs AMOLED-ClearBlack (quite similar)
1GHz A8 vs 1GHz A8
512mb vs 1GB RAM
SGX540 vs SGX530
16GB vs 16GB/64GB
removable storage vs no option
1,500mAh vs 1,450mAh
removable battery vs fixed
radios vs radios (all equivalent)
No NFC vs NFC
FM radio vs FM radio + transmitter
Single vs Dual-[noise cancelling]-mic
Good 5MP camera vs Great 8MP camera
No LED vs Dual-LED
size vs size
118g vs 135g
Many Quality Apps vs Few Useless Ones*
Large Ongoing Development Community vs Huge potential but little development
+ extra points for SGS for having LED flashlight and qwerty-keyboard (EPIC 4G)

Final Verdict: the SGS with ICS is a better overall device than the N9 except in terms of styling (debatable) and parts quality (sensors/camera)...which is more unfair against the EPIC 4G.

Leave your N9 and go back to your N900, if you simply cannot then enjoy an ice cream sandwich with Samsung (SGSII/SGnex/SGNOTE).

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2012-03-27 at 04:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:

Tags
n9 is pretty