Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Ah, you should give it a try! It isn't as hard as it may look.

The main problem with this is that I don't yet have a mechanism to store and retrieve an individual keyset (or subset of keys). I'd also have to make the Pierogi IR device manager available separate from the rest of the code. Basically, the current Pierogi design works against this.

However, let me mention that this is exactly how the LIRC server works -- you feed it an individual LIRC config file, and then make calls to it from your own personalized front-end. Existing desktop IR widgets, such as the very nice RaeMote, work in exactly this manner. So you don't need to wait on Pierogi if you'd like to develop something like that...
thanks for explanations, I will give a look to the LIRC stuff

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
My current plan is to set up a decent command-line interface; therefore, instead of making the app itself into a desktop widget, you could create a lightweight GUI (maybe a QBW?) that makes scripted calls to Pierogi.
Current plan sounds good.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

can you add a keyset for viewsat 2000 their is a config for lirc if its easy to port.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Idea...
What's the chances of a Lefty Main Screen option?
This would switch the volume and the channel selector buttons over.

I don't know about everyone else but I am used to the volume being on the left.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by psycon View Post
can you add a keyset for viewsat 2000 their is a config for lirc if its easy to port.
Will do, the LIRC config file looks fine.

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Idea...
What's the chances of a Lefty Main Screen option?
This would switch the volume and the channel selector buttons over.
Well, chances are much better than they were a few days ago. I'm trying out a more flexible GUI mechanism than before; if it works out, it'll be much easier to set up numerous varieties of button panels. (Still not up to the QtIrreco level of flexibility, but I'm really not aiming for that with Pierogi...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
hope this is still the place for requests: how about logitech squeezebox? I use the IR remote for mine (SB2) a lot, as it is the only way to control it bar going to a web browser or dedicated app, and for simple interaction, the IR is easier/faster

Originally Posted by petur View Post
hope this is still the place for requests: how about logitech squeezebox?
I've located a config file for the squeezebox, I'll put it on my list. (I'm messing around with the Pierogi GUI code right now, so I don't have a good handle on exactly when the next update will come out...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Well, after much research and experimentation, I've come to the conclusion that I just can't push the tabbed window mechanism any further. Pierogi has simply grown beyond the limits possible for displaying a set of tab names at the top of the screen; I just need more tabs than the system can deal with.

So, after more research and experimentation, I've replaced the tabbed window mechanism with a system of stacked panels topped by a combo box. While physically somewhat similar to the previous approach, it has the advantage of supporting a practically unlimited set of control panels. The disadvantage is that you can no longer get to any panel by pressing a single button. We'll have to see if the tradeoff is worth it.

In this new system, it is quite easy to add or remove panels as you see fit. I've added a new menu option called "Manage Panels" that allows you to do just that.

An update with the new GUI is now making its way up to the extras-devel repository. Also in this update:

- An entirely new "Air Conditioner" panel. This panel contains a selection of buttons specifically tailored for A/C control. The existing A/C keysets in Pierogi have been modified to use these buttons, so there is no longer any need to try and figure out what "3" or "yellow" means when attempting to control your A/C.

- A new "Select Keyset by Device" window: I've finally removed the confusing "filter by device" option from the existing list of keysets, and created a window to show all of the devices currently considered to be supported by Pierogi. Selecting a device from this list will activate the keyset associated with that device.

- Following advice in another thread, I've set up Pierogi to use a 50% duty cycle for all IR protocols. This might improve the range in some situations; it might also reduce the range. We'll have to see if it helps more than it hurts.

- Many new keysets: added some Foxtel set-top boxes, a Logitech Squeezebox, several Sony CD players, and an improved Western Digital media player. A first pass has been made at keysets for AOC, Arcam, Dell, Dick Smith Electronics, Dynex, Harman Kardon, Kathrein, Starsat, and Viewsat.

- Finally, I'm using a more rational numbering scheme; rather than changing a major number at the end of a development cycle (just before pushing Pierogi up to extras-testing), I'm changing the number at the start; so this "version" of Pierogi will have the same number when it finally gets promoted as it does now. So, this is now version 1.1, "For a Few Pierogies More".

Please note, with this many code changes, new bugs are nearly unavoidable! As with anything in extras-devel, please be careful when using this app.

Here's a look at the new interface:
Attached Images

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
As you know, I've been messing about since this came out but I used it tonight because I lost the tv remote. Superb. I noticed the sky+ keysets are missing from the latest version. I was messing about with it today before the update and I can't figure out why it works on some presses but not others. Any chance of adding it again?

Tags
infrared, pasta, remote, remote control