Just for fun:
"...
We picked up the 15 most-sold mobile phones in Finland and three others for comparison, and took them into the Technical Research Centre of Finland and their "Weather Room", a specialized research lab where the temperature can be adjusted to a fraction of a degree.
Failing First: iPhone 4S

At 0 degrees Celsius / 32degrees F, it was business as usual. At -5degrees C/23degrees F, iPhone 4S and Nokia N9 started showing symptoms: the iPhone reported a sim card error and the N9 claimed its battery was nearly empty.
Out of the 18 phones we tested, only two feature phones could survive until these temperatures: a very cheap Nokia C1-01 and a five-year-old Nokia E65, which was one of the devices chosen for comparison. In the end, the Finnish engineers did design the best mobile phones for sub-zero environments. They may not be equipped with high-end touch-screens, but they work! And it's probably not a surprise: the coldest temperature in Finland peaks at -40 degrees almost every winter.
..."
http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphon...pe=allchandate

Maybe it is time to test my N900. ;-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PMaff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@PMaff,

I can report that the N900 works fine at -20°C (e.g. this morning .

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
(almost) dito, -17 here.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ south of France

N9 works fine with -10°C, I've just used it to take ice pictures yesterday, without any trouble...

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Slovenia, Ljubljana
Originally Posted by cevenn View Post

N9 works fine with -10°C, I've just used it to take ice pictures yesterday, without any trouble...
Mine worked on -12°C without any simptones...

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
I don't think that the temperature of the phone changes during the time it takes to take pictures.
I've used the N900 in very harsh conditions, but I'm not sure it would still work after staying one hour in -20C.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
N900 works fine with -20 degrees Celcius

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
I don't think that the temperature of the phone changes during the time it takes to take pictures.
I've used the N900 in very harsh conditions, but I'm not sure it would still work after staying one hour in -20C.
Overclock it?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
"Against all odds, South Korean Samsung smart phones outlasted Finnish Nokia's touch-screen devices. Only one of the smart phones we tested kept running smoothly when the temperature reached -30 degrees C / -22degrees F, and it was a Samsung."

Just cut the angle you want, and you get a different emotion from said article.

Moreover, common sense indicates that this theoretical exercise only matters if you're a coat-less smartphone-toting wild bear.

And even if that's the case, you should stop playing with your smartphone outdoors and go hibernate.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!