Active Topics

Posts: 212 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2010 @ India
leave secondary DNS blank.primary dns is same as gateway that is 192.168.1.1 .

Originally Posted by XiliX View Post
You might want to check the kernel messages when your wifi stops working. You can do that with the "dmesg" command in xterm.
If it says something about "beacon loss" and "sending hi signal, sending low signal" you might be able to fix it whit disabling the power saving feature on that connection (settings, internet connections, connections, your WLAN)
stops working ! ? it never started. It gets connected and stays connected but not able to browse (no outbound nor inbound connections)

Power is at the maximum
Wlan transmission power: 100mW
power saving: on(maximum)

Originally Posted by raviepic3 View Post
I try to connect to a wifi access point from my nokia n900 and here is what happens

1. IT gets connected but am not able to browse any websites - says server not found

2. Tried connecting my laptop to the same internet connection and it works well ! ! !

How to proceed ?
Are there any firewall filters at the access point that deny access to your N900?

See also
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80087

Originally Posted by udaychaitanya16 View Post
you need to enter the IP seetings manually.Then it will work.Mine does the same always.As you have the sttings from laptop,its easy.After that there is no need each time you connect.
you mean dhcp wont work ! ?

Originally Posted by XiliX View Post
You might want to check the kernel messages when your wifi stops working. You can do that with the "dmesg" command in xterm.
If it says something about "beacon loss" and "sending hi signal, sending low signal" you might be able to fix it whit disabling the power saving feature on that connection (settings, internet connections, connections, your WLAN)
Dude, switching off the power saving mode actually worked ! For my home connection.

Strange how it worked without switching it off for other wifi connections !

any idea why this difference ?

Originally Posted by udaychaitanya16 View Post
leave secondary DNS blank.primary dns is same as gateway that is 192.168.1.1 .
If the access point is the gateway and has 192.168.1.1 then your N900 should get something like 192.168.1.2 manually (check if that IP address is not used elsewhere in your private network).

I always disable DHCP in my private network and set adresses of the
machines manually.
Machine 1 ... 192.168.1.10
Machine 2 ... 192.168.1.11
N900... 192.168.1.12
Access Point = Gateway = 192.168.1.1
and so on.

Worked all the time.
Even with N900 as "just another machine in the network".

The Following User Says Thank You to PMaff For This Useful Post:
People thank you everybody for the support. . .

The problem is solved - it was the power saving mode. I switched it off and it got connected !

However for connecting to few other wifi access points its not required to disable power saving mode to connect - i wonder why ! ?