Active Topics

My N900 broke. The phone is still in warranty so I'm not about to try a home repair.

I sent it back to the UK (I now live in Canada) and had an old friend send it onwards to Nokia for me. I specifically wrote in the package that I would not accept anything other than a full repair or a replacement N900: a different phone would absolutely not do.

Today I got this email:

As of yet the handset has not been sent to repair. This is because there is a high chance the device will be exchanged for either an N8 or an E7; both of which you have expressed you would not interested in.
She then asks for contact details -- I guess they either can't figure out how to dial my Canadian number I included or they've somehow dug up my old UK number.

Now, what do I need to say to convince them to do the repair or give me a new N900?

I don't want to let this go (I guess I could take the N8 or whatever and just throw it up on ebay unopened, but I'd really rather not). But I don't know exactly where I stand with regards to the warranty and the law so I don't know how to argue it.

Any tips?

Options:

#1 - Ask for an N9 and try to live with its many downfalls
#2 - Grab the device which is worth more, sell it, buy a used N900
#3 - Lawsuit (not recommended)

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Just don't accept it, and request talking with higher rank Nokian when appropriate. Many people succeed in getting new N900 from Nokia, this way (yet, not with repairing their device)

We have already *epic* thread about this kind of problems - no need for starting new, BTW.

/Estel

// Edit

In case of failure, just get higher priced (as new, on eBay or whatsnot) thing, sell it, and buy second-hand N900. You'll still have not small amount of money left, after transaction.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Did you send it to Anovo, Thetford?

Not the cheapest way but suggest you call them.

+44(0)1842 767 99

Good luck. Just so you know: some people were struggling to get a replacement as early as March 2011. However, others were sorted out well into the Autumn.

If discussion fails - Get the most expensive repplacement you can and do the 'ebay-swap'!

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Did you send it to Anovo, Thetford?

Not the cheapest way but suggest you call them.

+44(0)1842 767 99

Good luck. Just so you know: some people were struggling to get a replacement as early as March 2011. However, others were sorted out well into the Autumn.

If discussion fails - Get the most expensive repplacement you can and do the 'ebay-swap'!
Yes, I sent it to Thetford. In her email above she asks me for my contact details (even though my Canadian number was in the repair request) so I've given it again. I'd much rather they phone me than phoning them. I suppose I could call through Skype for cheap, but still. I'll refer back to this number if I don't get anywhere via email and if they don't call me.

Getting the most expensive replacement option and selling it, though a victory, somehow feels like a failure.

Originally Posted by tremby View Post
I'd much rather they phone me than phoning them. I suppose I could call through Skype for cheap, but still. I'll refer back to this number if I don't get anywhere via email and if they don't call me.
Do what works best for you but the longer you leave it, the more likely you'll get symbianed.

Getting the most expensive replacement option and selling it, though a victory, somehow feels like a failure.
I know exactly what you mean. There's also the fact that there might not be any N900s on ebay. One has to rationalise not getting one is like not being able to get another bottle from an old vintage: it's a matter of (non-)existence, rather than being a reflection of one's bargaining skills.

They've since asked if a replacement non-new N900 might be acceptable. I said yes, with various conditions. So things are looking okay.

Thanks for the help.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ greece
I was in the same place u r ..
When i got to the local care to reciece the non-new n900 i was largley dissapointed .. it had scratches all over and the sceen backplate was broken in the upper right corner .. i didnt accept it and asked for an n9 since bouth n8 & e7 are not equivolent devices to the n900 . After they refused i filed a law suite asking for a new n900 or AT LEAST AN N9 .

Originally Posted by on3st4b View Post
I was in the same place u r ..
When i got to the local care to reciece the non-new n900 i was largley dissapointed .. it had scratches all over and the sceen backplate was broken in the upper right corner .. i didnt accept it and asked for an n9 since bouth n8 & e7 are not equivolent devices to the n900 . After they refused i filed a law suite asking for a new n900 or AT LEAST AN N9 .
And what's the status of that?

My conditions included that it couldn't be in worse condition than mine, everything in working order, no serious scratches or breaks and so on.

This thread worries me because mine is back in for warranty repair again...this is the third time in a month time so they said they would probably just replace it. I'd take an N9 or Lumia 800, but those probably won't be offered because I'm in the US. If they don't send a N900 I hope I can at least get an E7 to sell.