Active Topics

Just got my N810 a few days ago.

And allowing for the repositry "experience" (perfect timing), I think it's a keeper.

At least for the short term. Hardware is great. But software is the key...

Browser is great, especially with 800 x 480.

Video Playback ok (shame you have to convert)

Lack of PIM and no Outlook sync. is a major iritation, but looking at google to save the day. It is an internet tablet...

Really impressed with Maemo Mapper.

I am concerned at the fact that the number of apps available on maemo.org seams to have a downward trend as you go from OS2006 to OS2007 and then OS2008. Though the latter is new of course...

Zuber

Actually, thats an interesting question. Any explanation as to why there are more apps. under 2006 than 2007 ?

I understand OS2008 is new, but I would have hoped that the 2007 release would have gained substantially over the previous release.

I'm sure the N810 will be ok, but should I be looking forward to an OS 2009 or is that planning too long term.

I'm hoping I've backed a winner, not boarded the ship just as others have started abandoning it...

Zuber

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Actually, thats an interesting question. Any explanation as to why there are more apps. under 2006 than 2007 ?
Because OS2006 has been out since summer 2006 and has had much more time for people to program for (also, a lot of 770 owners still).

But, really, it's because most of the OS2006 applications are crappy, buggy, broken half-ports.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
One of the biggest problems I've seen as to software ports is that the IT is greatly supported by freelance developers who got substantial discounts on the new tablet, but they are just barely getting them in hand!!
Thus you've got an eager community waiting to port and develop BUT(T) just as they get their heavily discounted development tool it's the holiday(s).

Take a break, wait till Groundhog's day. (Feb 2nd).

And developers - Have a happy holiday!!
PLEASE use the Wiki

Originally Posted by Zuber View Post

I understand OS2008 is new, but I would have hoped that the 2007 release would have gained substantially over the previous release.

I'm sure the N810 will be ok, but should I be looking forward to an OS 2009 or is that planning too long term.

I'm hoping I've backed a winner, not boarded the ship just as others have started abandoning it...

Zuber
I am not so surprisd that there are more 2006 apps then 2007
It has been around longer of course but I clearly remember when the N800 and OS2007 came out and was incompatible with 2006/770's there were a lot of hobbyist developers that were quite bitter about the break and swore they were not going to redo/port their work.
Now we have another break and we are going to lose more apps by those who have lost interest in developing and have left. Hopefully old apps will be recompiled by someone for the community but my obervation on open source is that there are a few who do the actuall coding and the greater number that just wait to have it done for them for free and of course complain at great lengths about the bugs they find..