Active Topics

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Thats not really bad! but I believe in my area (The sticks!!) I have only 1 or 2 Boingo hotspots.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Stillwater, ok
I don't travel as much as I used to (domestically), but I've only been in one situation where I could not find free wifi nearby. It was a hotel that had free wifi to the third floor. Unfortunately I was on the 5th.

In Oklahoma at least, many restaurants offer it for free as well as libraries, shopping malls and most hotels. I'm finding that fewer and fewer establishments are charging for access. Many fast food chains offer it although they don't really advertise it well.

Then there are the unsecured wifi networks that work in a pinch. I figure if they leave it open, it's available to use. I try and not use it unless I just happen to be out of cellular data coverage (rare) and I need a google map or something like that.

If you want to find free wifi while traveling in Europe, stay at hostels.

In some hostels you can get a private room, breakfast, and free wifi for 20 to 40 euros. Most brand-name, 200-euro hotels are charging 15 to 20 extra for wifi, and another 30 for breakfast.

And the rooms look alike with your eyes closed.

In the US, the break point seems a bit higher. Business-traveler hotels like Hampton Inn tend to have free wifi. Move up to Hilton and you'll pay, not only for the wifi but for little extras like water.

If you have a T-Mobile US cellphone plan with Internet service, you can also use T-Mobile wifi for free ... but that doesn't apply to "shared" hubs such as you find at airports, which are the equivalent of roaming.

Hub airports all charge 7 to 10 dollars an hour for access. Small airports often are free.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Marietta, GA, USA--Pombal, Portugal
EUROPE has decided to make wifi a business and as you and me know they are ******ed!
Portugal used to have free wifi until PT Telecomunications swallowed it and made actual laws prohibiting the share of their network (for free) over wifi without a formal approval, etc.....

in England it was swallowed by boingo( or what ever it is called) and t-mobile.

Spain is currently in transition as movistar and other companies are claiming the services....

in the end we are all screwed.

ps: the us is starting to suffer too, as t-mobile is now sponsoring many wifi stations and at&t is also claiming ground.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Yes, those ******ed Europeans! It's a shame that our currency is collapsing and theirs is always getting stronger...

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Marietta, GA, USA--Pombal, Portugal
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Yes, those ******ed Europeans! It's a shame that our currency is collapsing and theirs is always getting stronger...
well lol that's Bush's fault.... he spends all the money on the war against the "invisible" enemy and completely forgets about inflation. got to love this guy

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by Boingoman View Post
On behalf of Boingo...

Effective November 12, Boingo released a connection manager for N800s and N810s. For N800s, it requires an update to the latest OS build. With the Boingo Mobile software for Nokia Internet Tablets, users can sign up for a Boingo Mobile account that provides unlimited access worldwide for $7.95 a month.

MORE INFO: http://mobile.boingo.com/nokia/
Site seems dumb -
"download to pc then transfer via usb"
Why not just download on the device to begin with?
I did.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Halifax, NS
In my city they built allot of apartment buildings in the same area in the past few years. I took my N800 with me and parked outside the main entrance of at least a dozen buildings. There was only one I couldn't connect from. I love routers named “default”

Ah, that's because so much extra revenue is being generated in Europe by the non-free wifi business model

When i was working last night, i went to McDonald's for a coffee, and while i was sitting in the car park, just out of interest, i searched for wifi connections with my 770, and McDonald's do offer free wifi through The Cloud. I also found another open connection called "Public" but who knows where that was coming from. I guess i`ll be going to McDonald's for my breaks when I'm on the back shift from now on. :-D