Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
Dropping Maemo, then MeeGo, then not going with Android and choosing to go with WP7 = BIG TIME FAILURE!
failure started with OPK, ends with Elop. Nokia choosing WP7, that's something beyond epic failure.

It''s... hell, it's a term I've yet to discover. Ginormous (wait, spell check did not alert me on Ginormous!?) Epic Mega Failure...

just got an Amazon Kindle Fire via my work last night. Already put ICS 4.0 on it, no wi-fi yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Also to keep with the cheap app vibe, you can hop on Amazon and they do one Pay app as a Free app every day:

http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b?...ode=2350149011

Still miffed I was lazy and didn't get the $0.10 option on Asphalt 6 or Minecraft lulz

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Dropping Maemo, then MeeGo, then not going with Android and choosing to go with WP7 = BIG TIME FAILURE!
failure started with OPK, ends with Elop. Nokia choosing WP7, that's something beyond epic failure.

It''s... hell, it's a term I've yet to discover. Ginormous (wait, spell check did not alert me on Ginormous!?) Epic Mega Failure...
From the perspective of a Maemo/Meego fan, absolutely. Long-term business-wise maybe not. When M$ brings out Win8 and the MS Market things will change drastically. Unfortunately.

Sent from HTC G2
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post

Still miffed I was lazy and didn't get the $0.10 option on Asphalt 6 or Minecraft lulz
Dude... Asphalt 6 HD is free from samsung store.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
From the perspective of a Maemo/Meego fan, absolutely. Long-term business-wise maybe not. When M$ brings out Win8 and the MS Market things will change drastically. Unfortunately.
I suspect that everyone is probably including the long-term business case in their assessments as well. I, for one, think Microsoft is taking their LEAST popular and LEAST successful division (Windows Mobile) and using THAT as the template for their desktop and video game divisions. Balmer and Elop, both, SERIOUSLY need to be replaced immediately.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
i suspect that everyone is probably including the long-term business case in their assessments as well. I, for one, think microsoft is taking their least popular and least successful division (windows mobile) and using that as the template for their desktop and video game divisions. Balmer and elop, both, seriously need to be replaced immediately.
+999.999.999.999.999.999

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I, for one, think Microsoft is taking their LEAST popular and LEAST successful division (Windows Mobile) and using THAT as the template for their desktop and video game divisions.
IMHO, in 5 years you might think very differently. Mobile is the future, but regular desktops/laptops still have lotsa legs, especially for business and MS still utterly dominates there. By combining the desktop and mobile OS and introducing the MS Market that gives MS massive leverage into the mobile market and even more software sales. They can be patient because at the same time, 95% + of desktops/laptops will remain locked into Windows ensuring MS a steady income while their mobile sales slowly build as users upgrade to Win8 and beyond, gradually tying mobile and desktops closer and closer together.

Hard for me to see how this will completely fail. They only have to implement it properly and wait it out. MS has shown with the Xbox that if a market is important enough they're willing to lose money short term for long term goals - and can afford to.

If MS really wants to kick Apple's butt they can now buy Nokia at a much reduced price and control both hardware and software start to finish, exactly as has been so successful for Apple. No doubt they've noticed how successful the hardware side has been for Apple.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
IMHO, in 5 years you might think very differently. Mobile is the future, but regular desktops/laptops still have lotsa legs, especially for business and MS still utterly dominates there. By combining the desktop and mobile OS and introducing the MS Market that gives MS massive leverage into the mobile market and even more software sales. They can be patient because at the same time, 95% + of desktops/laptops will remain locked into Windows ensuring MS a steady income while their mobile sales slowly build as users upgrade to Win8 and beyond, gradually tying mobile and desktops closer and closer together.

Hard for me to see how this will completely fail. They only have to implement it properly and wait it out. MS has shown with the Xbox that if a market is important enough they're willing to lose money short term for long term goals - and can afford to.

If MS really wants to kick Apple's butt they can now buy Nokia at a much reduced price and control both hardware and software start to finish, exactly as has been so successful for Apple. No doubt they've noticed how successful the hardware side has been for Apple.
This is all crystalballing really. However I'm not sure I share your enthusiasm for Wx8 any more than dans pessimism for it as I don't see Desktops/Laptops as much of a leverage. I happen to think that MS are trying to stay relevant because where they dominate -- Desktop/laptops-- are in fact at risk, not really their saviour in the mobile market.

PC and laptop sales are slowly being eaten away by tablets and consoles (partly due to cannibalization) year after year in the US and Europe so MS cannot be too patient.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...s-and-europe/1

Also Windows' dominance is a combination of business and entertainment but I'm not sure of the split; A lot of people buy Windows purely because of games. I'm not sure what percentage that makes up but I'm willing to bet it's relatively high since you really don't need to upgrade all that often if all you are doing is some word processing or spreadsheets so I'm going to go out on a limb and say a lot of sustainable new PC sales come from the wintendo side.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy