Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
I think the directions in the INSTALL.TXT file are correct. Any problems you still run into are probably still a result of the servers being flakey.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Applets are all closed-source and that's really a pity..

Originally Posted by gnexus View Post
Please explain to me how I can make cash when: 1) Any software I write will necessarily use GPL code and thus be freely available for others, such as Nokia, to integrate into their code and thus to use my intellectual property without compensation. 2) You need an XM/Sirius reciever to make the app work.
1) So no one makes money writing 'linux' apps? lol

2). Incorrect. There are already apps for windows mobile phones that access satellite radio over the internet, not via receivers.

I took the bait. Now I will return to my regularly scheduled broadcast...

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You know, that's what's great about being new. You have no idea of the culture of the place you're stepping into and therefore don't know people are about to bite your head off if you open off with a complaint. Do some backtracking and look at how many people started off complaining and stuck around. Being cheesed off is a greater catalyst to join a site like this than loving it. Look at all the lurkers or people online with <10 posts.

Anyway. The tablets and infrastructure supporting them are far from perfect. I have no love for giamongus corporate entities but I admit I'd like to give Nokia a noogie for their tablet line. (Possibly a little harder than 'friendly' but still.)

A big mofo'n corporation built an internet tablet with a screen that makes me feel inadequate about my genitalia and it runs linux and has wifi connectivity. You know how I ended up here? I googled "linux wifi PDA" and after scowling at a bunch of IPAQs that you could chuck Linux on, I found this site. And my mind's been blown ever since. A few months later the 770 came out, I got one, and it's amazing despite it's inadequacies.

If you've got to question why you should develop for it, why do you develop in the first place? (I'm seriously asking, not making a jab.) This thing should be a developer's wet dream despite the problems with it.

... and if you could get, say, ARMed Slack Linux to run on it, you'd be my hero.

gnexus,

Play with the little monster for a few weeks and see how quickly it will grow on you. If I could write code for this bad boy I would devote most of my free time. Think of it this way. Your writing code for end user's not some big corporation that restricts what end users can do with the little devil. Have fun my friend. lol, Dan

Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
If you've got to question why you should develop for it, why do you develop in the first place? (I'm seriously asking, not making a jab.) This thing should be a developer's wet dream despite the problems with it.
I wouldn't go that far but if there was an official Java SDK...

Originally Posted by dauvis View Post
I've been trying for almost a week trying to get a development environment up and running (work and family limits my time). I keep getting gateway time out errors and files that don't completely download which causes the whole process to abort. Also, I suspect that the INSTALL.txt file for chinook is not entirely correct.
I followed the Wiki which is correct. However, I did it BEFORE the N800 firmware was released a few days ago. Your timeouts are most certainly caused by the sad state of connectivity to maemo.org.

I used http://maemo.org/maemo_training_mate...ted/index.html

Hopefully once everyone has been able to flash their devices with OS2008 and install Canola2 (BOTH OF WHICH I RESORTED TO THIRD PARTIES), you can fetch a successful SDK/scratchbox.

The Following User Says Thank You to krbvroc1 For This Useful Post:
Well, after all the nice responses here, and seeing the crappy job Nokia has done with their repositories and a lot of their apps, etc. I have decided NOT to develop anything for Maemo. . .

Due to the above issues, and the excellent job penguinbait has done with KDE, I decided it's time for a fork in the road.

OH CRAP! Not another Linux fork!
Yep! That's what I'm saying. . . I think the folks who are serious about this need to get out from under Nokia's wing and fly. Somebody's gonna do it eventually, so why not now?

So any packages I make will NOT be Maemo compatible. My plan, actually, is to specifically link to Maemo incompatible libraries, even if unneeded . . .

Hell. I may even use RPM's

ROFL!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by gnexus View Post
So any packages I make will NOT be Maemo compatible. My plan, actually, is to specifically link to Maemo incompatible libraries, even if unneeded . . .
Yes, because Nokia will obviously be the one to suffer most from this.

Also: watanass

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2007-12-30 at 22:27.

Was that supposed to hurt our feelings?

On the other hand, over two weeks and and still can't get a development environment. WTF???

<sarcasm>Looks like iPhone SDK will be released before this repository comes back up.</sarcasm>