Notices

Closed Thread
Posts: 136 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Lafayette, LA
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
Anyone else having problems downloading pod casts?

Whenever I click on a podcast to download it, I typically get the following error message: "Error during downloading".
I had that problem this morning. I just switched back to gpodder because I had to leave for work soon.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Recife, Brazil
Originally Posted by krbvroc1 View Post
Where is the queuing?

I select a song to play. I expected to hold my finger/stylus down on another item and 'add' it to the playlist/queue. This way I can queue up several songs. I cant figure out how to do such a basic thing.
Nice feature that we already thought about, but it's not implemented yet, probably in future versions. :-)

I'm not sure I'm a fan of this 'inertial scrolling' gimic either. I'm in the middle of a song and all of sudden some other item is selected. This would not be as bad if I could select 'Add to queue' as the default so the erroneous click simply appends a file to the current playlist, but instead it replaces whatever im in the middle of listening to with some random click.
yes, you're the second to say that. Actually, first canola should have kinetic scrolling, but we disabled since 770 screen was not helpful... now with better screens like n810 and all the hype about it, we bring it back... maybe not that good? maybe make it optional? Let's see more reports.

PS: I'm using an iPhone for some days and I also find this same problem with it, it's actually a bit worse, since the screen is so sensitive that sometimes just a light touch on the screen on mistake can make phone calls... :-/

Originally Posted by adammelancon View Post
I had that problem this morning. I just switched back to gpodder because I had to leave for work soon.
From my quick time messing with it. It appeared to me that when you select a podcast for download, you must sit there patiently until it completes. Personally, I hit the back button thinking it would be downloading in the background. But when I returned, there was no indication that the file had been downloaded. When I pressed it again, I got 'error downloading' message. It is as if there is an existing/partial file somewhere that causes the attempt to download to fail.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Where is the queuing?

I select a song to play. I expected to hold my finger/stylus down on another item and 'add' it to the playlist/queue. This way I can queue up several songs. I cant figure out how to do such a basic thing.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of this 'inertial scrolling' gimic either. I'm in the middle of a song and all of sudden some other item is selected. This would not be as bad if I could select 'Add to queue' as the default so the erroneous click simply appends a file to the current playlist, but instead it replaces whatever im in the middle of listening to with some random click.
We are working on this for the final release =) after all is a beta.. we have some nice ideas on this.

I have answered this in your email (you send to the site)

So keep looking forward for the improvements on the scrolling we are going to really improve, we are experimenting with the variables for it.. to avoid wrong touches, but it's hard to get it right for all the devices and theres also the area where there's no kinetic (the side of the screen) use it for fast scroll (but cpu doesnt let us scroll a lot)

Marcelo

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
From my quick time messing with it. It appeared to me that when you select a podcast for download, you must sit there patiently until it completes. Personally, I hit the back button thinking it would be downloading in the background. But when I returned, there was no indication that the file had been downloaded. When I pressed it again, I got 'error downloading' message. It is as if there is an existing/partial file somewhere that causes the attempt to download to fail.
We are looking very deeply on this one. Don't worry... but it was supposed to be downloading on the background : / we need to improve it a lot, so please keep sending bugs with all the detail you can in the garage page.

Thanks, Podcast is really crucial in our minds.

Where is the queuing?

See a few post back I was complaining about the scrolling, and the very same problem, it sucks.
After the novelity wears off, it's useless.

I want Conalo"1" back

Originally Posted by barbieri View Post
Nice feature that we already thought about, but it's not implemented yet, probably in future versions. :-)
Probably? I admit I am new to this tablet technology, but shouldn't this be a basic requirement of any media player? Especially one like canola which allows browsing of a large music tree.

How is this player very useful (besides the pretty eye candy) without the ability to select a multiple songs? Do people just hit 'Play random' and thats it?

yes, you're the second to say that. Actually, first canola should have kinetic scrolling, but we disabled since 770 screen was not helpful... now with better screens like n810 and all the hype about it, we bring it back... maybe not that good? maybe make it optional? Let's see more reports.
One idea I was thinking would be to add an 'undo' feature. So if you make an erroneous press you can undo it. Undo might be better than having to add pop dialogs of 'Are yuu sure' to solve this problem.

Also, is there a region of the screen (such as the strip on the right) reserved for scrolling with a finger? That way its impossible to press anything if you keep you finger there. Perhaps the 1/4 right side of the screen.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ South Carolina
Many thanks to Lupin3D for the installation of Canola beta. Also the new file manager is terrific. Now we can see where all our files are going.

Everyone seems to think the problems we are having are due to all the activity on OS2008 inundating the Nokia servers. Does anyone know for sure? Is there firsthand knowledge? A company as big as Nokia would have fixed the problem a long time ago but the problem persists. Even at 4am. I can't believe there are that many N800 users up at that time. Is there a way to contact Nokia and find out for sure? Also the Canola people would have a vested interest in making sure this rollout works. I have not seen any dialog from them either.

Just so you don't think I don't know what I am talking about, I am a 30 year veteran of IBM mainframe operating systems and networks. I am new to Linux but catching on quickly. If only the naming conventions were more meaningful. I sometimes feel like I am reading Russian.

Anyway, Thanks again for all your help.

PS: I'm using an iPhone for some days and I also find this same problem with it, it's actually a bit worse, since the screen is so sensitive that sometimes just a light touch on the screen on mistake can make phone calls... :-/

A simple fix for the scrolling would to have the scrolling on the right side of the playlist area, and the "click to play on left side"

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
It should scan just when media is inserted. When Canola starts it triggers a consistency check, that basically does bunch of "stat(2)" calls to check if mtime (modification time) is the same, it can also delete (actually mark as deleted) files that went away and undelete (unmark) files that reappeared. It also adds new files.
So what happens if you are plugged into your PC via USB. Then you copy some files to the Canola watched folders from the PC to the tablet?

I had to un-mark and then re-mark the folder as watched to get C2 to notice the changes.

Your description seems to confirm that these files would be missed.

Actually, it is worse than this because if you leave the tablet connected via USB you cannot navigate to sub-folders when you go to "Settings". Simply unmarking and re-marking the top-level folder "Internal Card", say, does not refresh the underlying marked folders so you have to disconnect and navigate down to the target folder.

Where do I post a bug?

Closed Thread