Active Topics

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
I just got my N9 for a few days, and I find that about the performance of the camera, N900 is better than N9.

Here is the detail, I took a photo and make the comparison :
N900(F2.8 1/15s ISO800)
N9(F2.2 1/15s ISO800)

You can find that the N9 has less noise, but N900 performs better on the color and sharpness.

Of course, the size of the camera module on N9 is much smaller than the one on N900, there is an article about this on Nokia Blog : http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/...ia-n9-imaging/

And I think N900 got a 1/2.5" sensor and N9's only have 1/3.2", that's also one big reason.

Did you find the same issue ?

Last edited by lanwellon; 2011-11-26 at 14:14.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lanwellon For This Useful Post:
It is mainly software related
and Nokia will release a patch soon as par Damian Dinning
http://twitter.com/#!/PhoneDaz/statu...94735403626496

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Mauritius
I've been experimenting with my N9 & I would say that it's better than the N900. Less noise, better exposure, better white balance, better flash & worst auto-focus. Yes, so many times I've used the N9 on macro mode only to find out it didn't focus on the object I was aiming at.
But one thing we can agree on is that the N9 is nowhere near N8 quality.

& one big problem I have with the N9 is camera shake. In dark conditions, the process of tapping the on-screen button adds enough vibration to add some motion blur to the photo (like yours above). You never notice it on-screen, it's only when you view it on your PC that it turns out to be terrible.

The Following User Says Thank You to cm6 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 133 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, UK
Are the resolutions you're using comparable?

The camera is pretty bad, similar to the N900 camera. I don't think its a hardware problem though. Hopefully the upcoming large cam updates for N9 and Lumia will bring an improvement.

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Near St. Albans UK
you don't have to tap the screen really, once you have done the focus by holding down on the screen, hold down the capture button and let go a second later!

I must admit a prefer the camera button on N900 but getting used to the on screen capture button now! its not the end of the world! takes decent enough photos for me! can only get better with future updates!

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
Originally Posted by Grazy View Post
you don't have to tap the screen really, once you have done the focus by holding down on the screen, hold down the capture button and let go a second later!

I must admit a prefer the camera button on N900 but getting used to the on screen capture button now! its not the end of the world! takes decent enough photos for me! can only get better with future updates!
I am quite sure that the blue frame shows before I take a photo.

It is not the focus problem. N9 just sacrifice the sharpness to get less noise.

Im still unable to see diference... Nokia N900 RAW are much better than any other device, yes, exposure, BW and few things arent good at all, but still beating all!

I compared few photos from my Galaxy SII and Sensation, with my N900 and there's a huge diference in sharpness, photos are much more detailed on N900, and if you know how to shoot, photos looks georgeous.

N900 Rocks

As much as I love the N9, I'll have to admit that the 5 MP shooter on the n900 gave better pictures.

8 MP cameras on other handsets are leagues ahead. The iPhone 4S, specifically, beats the N9 camera on most fronts.

PR 1.2 does have some camera updates, so we can expect camera performance to improve. Here's hoping it's a software thing and will be tuned in the next update.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
The guys that think the N900 camera is better than the N9's are on crack, sorry.
The differences between the two modules is too great, it's not gunna happen.
In case some of you don't realise, how a camera is used, has a big impact.
I look forward to comparing my N9 with my N900, & proving this OP to be flawed.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-07 at 14:55.