Active Topics

Originally Posted by HughF_UK View Post
I thought it appropriate to start a new thread for this so those of us in the uk can pool our thoughts and experiences.
Thanks for creating the thread.

I noticed my network O2 appears as an icon in the applications list, is this normal for everyone else?

I will list the following variables in case anyone can spot a pattern:
  • Source of purchase: Handtec
  • Network: O2 (Yes I know others have experienced same issues without SIM card )
  • SIM: Cut-down via micro SIM cutter.
  • Product Variant: 059J1V4 - RM-696 NDT AUSTRIA BLACK 64GB
  • Regional Settings: UK
  • Reboot/freeze frequency: ~15 times per day.

I am now able to install from the Store again after enabling the 'synchronise time to server' option as someone mentioned in another thread.

Originally Posted by HughF_UK View Post
I'm thinking mine isn't hardware related. I just played five mins of nfs and real golf, thinking that would tax the cpu gpu and vram etc... no crashes.

As strongm suggests, one area that probably wouldn't be taxed by the gaming aspect much is flash storage, so that is another possibility IF hardware is the cause (which would seem unlikely, though not impossible).

To people with display issues: I'm not noticing any AMOLED screen issues here so that could be manufacturing sample variance from wherever they are sourced from or just people with more sensitivity to certain screen textures/artefacts.

Also: Has anyone tried applying a different product variant firmware to their Austrian 059J1V4 64GB, such as the apparently reliable Denmark based 059L7R7 v10.2011.34-1.340.01.1 firmware? (Or is this something that will break the device?)

Originally Posted by dubious_dog View Post
So I've received my phone this afternoon from handtec and have been playing with it since then.

Just to report to you guys that I do not have these random reboot problems at all (well the phone rebooted once, while I was playing around with the AP News application , but have not encountered any other reboots/freezes since then)
Which version (16GB/64GB) and/or product variant do you have? (Should be written on the SIM tray.)

Thanks.

Last edited by caa; 2011-11-02 at 04:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to caa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by caa View Post
Thanks for creating the thread.

I noticed my network O2 appears as an icon in the applications list, is this normal for everyone else?

Also: Has anyone tried applying a different product variant firmware to their Austrian 059J1V4 64GB, such as the apparently reliable Denmark based 059L7R7 v10.2011.34-1.340.01.1 firmware? (Or is this something that will break the device?)

Which version (16GB/64GB) and/or product variant do you have? (Should be written on the SIM tray.)

Thanks.
I'm in Canada, and I also have my network Telus Mobility as an icon in the applications list. I think this is normal, as two of my previous phones also had an icon in the app list (Blackberry Bold and LG Optimus 3D)

I also have the same question as you, I wonder if we can flash a different region firmware? If yes, how do we do it?

I have the black 64GB from handtec and the product variant is 059J1V4 - RM-696 NDT AUSTRIA BLACK 64GB

PS: I just encountered another reboot , it happened when I was swiping from task manger to the app list (I had about 10 apps opened at the time).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dubious_dog For This Useful Post:
PS: I just encountered another reboot , it happened when I was swiping from task manger to the app list (I had about 10 apps opened at the time).
That's still far less frequent than our reboots, so it appears it is not all of that variant from that retailer that are afflicted by this issue in the same way.

Thanks for the info, as it may help to spot patterns.

The Following User Says Thank You to caa For This Useful Post:
So what is the general consensus here? Are you guys going to wait for the firmware update or return the device?

PS: the same exact thing just happened again to me while opening about 10 - 13 apps (while I was swiping from the windows manager to the app list) the phone froze and i had to reboot the phone

The problem I have seems to be similar to someone posted in this heard earlier.

Originally Posted by sunc View Post
It might not be Handtec specific problem as I'm getting occasional reboots and lockups as well, bought the N9 from the official retailer here.

The lockups seem to be related to window manager, as they have always happened on a swipe; and the vkb appears to be working if open (there is haptic feedback but the screen is not updated). Edit: On a second though, the lockups remind me the notorious nVidia "freeze bug", thus a driver issue.

Last edited by dubious_dog; 2011-11-02 at 05:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to dubious_dog For This Useful Post:
My phone says Made in Finland, both on the box and SIM tray stickers
So far there has been no indication that the firmware is pre-release versus what was received in China. If anything my guess is that Finland would have the latest.

Maybe the factory in Finland got a bad batch of components.

The Following User Says Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
New article about PR1.1 from Neowin.net

http://www.neowin.net/news/nokia-mee...ll-of-goodness

The Following User Says Thank You to dubious_dog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ London
As an update, my phone froze 3 minutes into Angry Birds, countering the 'games are ok' theory. It also freezes more than every other time I boot up after forcing it to power down from a previous freeze. Another strange action is that it often reboots when I try to power it off. Is that a feature and I'm just using the power button the wrong way, or is it failing to reboot?!

I suppose I can wait a week or so and see if any news comes along, after that I'll send it back. Fingers crossed it all works out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jah25 For This Useful Post:
Can this be related to the temperature, too? Does it crash more when hot than when idle?

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
I'm get about 8 reboots a day, let's say, to give a frequency to this. Mostly when I've opened a bunch of stuff am am using it "heavily", but once it was just sitting there "doing nothing".
And to jah25, I get double-boots and shutdown-reboots too. It's not a feature - it's supposed to stay off! I assume that it just triggers whatever's bad while it's shutting down and so reboots at that point.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Oh, and do you have a way to get some logs and some “reboot reason”?