Active Topics

I'm giving one of my children a tablet (770) and would like to install a proxy and url redirector so that any inappropriate words that are on the web page (or the url matches a blacklist) the user is redirected to an "access denied" page.

I've searched these forums and googled for quite some time now but I haven't found a solution.

I am aware of privoxy and I've installed it on my n800 thinking it could help to solve the problem. However, this is a proxy that specializes only in filtering out elements within a page rather than allowing the page to be redirected to the "access denied" page.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can suggest a way to achieve this? Has anyone tried installing squid with squidguard or dansguardian on the 770 ? Or are there any alternatives?

Many thanks.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Probably better off doing this sort of thing at the firewall level than on the device itself. That, or perhaps teach them something about inappropriate websites and check the history every once in a while?

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2007-12-20 at 02:34. Reason: <-idiot

squid and squidguard work quite well - we used them at work for years. Been a while now. The other more simple option is to install a hosts file that redirects the nasty stuff to localhost. Requires frequent updates and close control of the root user though.