Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
OK, I have updated initfs flasher archive. it uses event0 for N810, both enter and select keys should work for selecting menu and -19 N810 firmware should now work too (initfs version changed in -19 but otherwise linuxrc script is same as in -18). If someone tries this with N810, let me know here how it works. Thanks.

Thank you !!

Seriously, as soon as I hit post reply, I wondered why I did not just hit the Thanks button. I guess I will go do that now

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Arizona
OK, I have updated initfs flasher archive. it uses event0 for N810, both enter and select keys should work for selecting menu and -19 N810 firmware should now work too (initfs version changed in -19 but otherwise linuxrc script is same as in -18). If someone tries this with N810, let me know here how it works. Thanks.
I'll just upgrade mine to -19 before reflashing then and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for getting that done so fast.

Ok I updated my n810 to -19 and initfs flasher worked fine, also the keys now work on the n810 as well. However Ive found that if I have my external sd card in when booting it cant boot to the internal mmc2, partition 2 and it boots from the flash memory.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by vormund View Post
However Ive found that if I have my external sd card in when booting it cant boot to the internal mmc2, partition 2 and it boots from the flash memory.
There was/is similar/same bug with N800. The problem I've seen is that when you only had card in N800 external slot, it was named /dev/mmcblk0 but with both cards or card only in internal slot the internal was mmcblk0 and external mmcblk1. You can verify that it is this bug by customizing menu via optional bootmenu.conf and creating item for both external and internal card partition 2. Then you can try to boot the external one and see whether the internal one boots. Maybe it is even this bug combined with the fact that N810 has MMC slots named differently? With N800 internal one is mmcblk0 and external mmcblk1, can you check how it it with N810?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

There was/is similar/same bug with N800. The problem I've seen is that when you only had card in N800 external slot, it was named /dev/mmcblk0 but with both cards or card only in internal slot the internal was mmcblk0 and external mmcblk1. You can verify that it is this bug by customizing menu via optional bootmenu.conf and creating item for both external and internal card partition 2. Then you can try to boot the external one and see whether the internal one boots. Maybe it is even this bug combined with the fact that N810 has MMC slots named differently? With N800 internal one is mmcblk0 and external mmcblk1, can you check how it it with N810?
I added an option to boot from mmcblk1p2 and that worked when I had the external card in. It looks like when theres no external card the internal card is mmcblk0, and when the external card is in the internal is mmcblk1 and external is mmcblk0.

Hmm, so it is same problem but card slots are switched. This is unfortunate. With N800 people rarely boot from external card with internal slot empty because internal slot is ideal for booting. Looks like with N810 mmc interfaces are switched so this bug will bite more people. What is interesting is that after the device boots the device name changes back. I remember when I booted system from external card 'df' command printed root partition being on mmcblk0p2 but FAT partition (on the same card) was named mmcblk1p1, do you see it too (if you still have FAT partition on internal card)? I am not sure where the bug is - kernel or udev or something else. Perhaps it is time to report it in Maemo bugzilla.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Hmm, so it is same problem but card slots are switched. This is unfortunate. With N800 people rarely boot from external card with internal slot empty because internal slot is ideal for booting. Looks like with N810 mmc interfaces are switched so this bug will bite more people. What is interesting is that after the device boots the device name changes back. I remember when I booted system from external card 'df' command printed root partition being on mmcblk0p2 but FAT partition (on the same card) was named mmcblk1p1, do you see it too (if you still have FAT partition on internal card)? I am not sure where the bug is - kernel or udev or something else. Perhaps it is time to report it in Maemo bugzilla.
Yeah I noticed that it switches back after booting because when I partitioned the internal card I partitioned and formated mmcblk0 and the external card was also in and it wasnt formated. Mines showing that I've booted from mmcblk1p2 and that my FAT partition on the internal card is mmcblk0p1, and my external card is mmcblk1p1.

Last edited by vormund; 2007-12-15 at 22:14.

http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#initfs is now updated for latest 2.2007.50-2
I have not tested it yet with my N800 but linuxrc script in 2.2007.50-2 is same as in OS2008 beta for N800 (1.2007.44-4) so I have just updated list of supported versions and it should work both for N800 and N810. Will try this evening.

I updated also README.txt with some info about usb network recovery mode. Nothing new, just stuff that was already said here in the forum.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Soo, what about a dual boot with OS2007? Is there a way to perhaps modify OS2007 kernels to the updated versions of WLAN modules to get online with OS2007 as well? Once over this obstacle I´ve no plans for going back, soo...

Hi,

http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/initfs_flasher.tgz is now updated for OS2008. Seems to work with N800. Not sure about N810 but hopefully it is same.
Fanoush: Rather that start a new thread at this time, I'll try to append to this thread a description of my current (quite serious!) problem.

I have had to reflash the new firmware twice now in the last 24 hours, reinstalling all my apps, etc., because after I've executed your latest initfs_flash, not only can't I boot from my trusty mmc2 clone, but trying to boot from flash then fails also. The Nokia screen comes up, I get the menu screen, then it automatically tries to reboot -- failing each time, with no ultimate success.

My initial attempts at executing initfs_flash were in fact failing with the message stating "Cannot find initfs.bootmenu.jffs2, something failed, nothing flashed." Following this, I restored my previous (2007) MyDocs/.documents directory, and then I was able to effect what I though was a successful establishing of my bootmenu. But it doesn't work, and now I'm going to have to reflash a third time! Will I have to abandon my mmc clone? Thanks and regards, Jim

The Following User Says Thank You to ascherjim For This Useful Post: