Notices

I've been digging OMP for a while, but I reverted recently to the stock media player because I was watching lots of videos, particularly using freemangordon's 720p patches which accelerate even low-res h264 video.

Why'd I move back to Stock? OMP doesn't bookmark where you last paused/stopped a video. It's too bad, because OMP sorts videos so much better than Stock in the grid-display mode... but video bookmarks are too handy to live without.

Also, both OMP and Stock fail to start playing certain h264 m4v videos (Constant Quality rf=25 and higher, ~480x306 resolution) if the N900 has been powered up for a while. OMP's failure mode is curious though -- it shows Prev/Play/Next buttons, which play the most recent song when pressed. Stock just shows an everlasting "five dots loading" screen.

freemangordon says this video playback issue is related to mafw -- but I mention here in case there's any chance of working around this issue within OMP itself. Another note: invoking gstreamer at the CLI avoids this problem.

Happy to send a test video link if needed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wumpwoast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgrade
Originally Posted by gidzzz View Post
How many songs do you have in that playlist?

Is it that you don't like something about drag&drop the way it is now, the list is too small to comfortably rearrange items (if that's the case, try the attached version), or something else?

Not much time since the previous build, but it could be pretty annoying that when a new song starts to play, playlist is not scrolled to show it. And there are more significant changes, too:
  • Restored focus for starting songs.
  • Albums and artists can be deleted from the titlebar menu.
  • Detect when a file is removed from the library, or a new one appears. Deleting files may be not as swift as before, but you don't have to reopen the player to refresh all views.
  • Playlist and lyrics area in now playing was increased by making album art smaller.

well i have up to 50-60 or even more songs (actually those are all live mixes - about 1-2 hours long, but stock MP has no trouble with it)

i like drag&drop thing, but i actually want same thing in now playing window (playlist edit in now playing).

other thing: type&search??????
i think there is a way to implement in easy way in now playing window (BUT I GOT NO SKILL to do it... ) can someone help me out with this

anyway, will try this last build tomorrow, ant get feedback.

p.s. btw, could you MAYBE release .deb (so it is like independent player.... or even put it in repo... ??? (this is question for all devs involved )

Originally Posted by Zekahz View Post
Well I would like that option back in the "All songs" view.
Of course, this is a bug and the option will be back (it's already in git).

Originally Posted by cloud596 View Post
do u know where is lyric been store?
They're stored in "/home/user/.lyrics/".

Originally Posted by wumpwoast View Post
Why'd I move back to Stock? OMP doesn't bookmark where you last paused/stopped a video. It's too bad, because OMP sorts videos so much better than Stock in the grid-display mode... but video bookmarks are too handy to live without.
Bookmarks are part of MAFW, so that'll probably require only a few extra lines of code. OMP already opens them, just doesn't save.

OMP's failure mode is curious though -- it shows Prev/Play/Next buttons, which play the most recent song when pressed. Stock just shows an everlasting "five dots loading" screen.
That's because OMP doesn't change the playlist from audio to video. It just orders MAFW to play a single clip, so the next item in the playlist is still a song.

freemangordon says this video playback issue is related to mafw -- but I mention here in case there's any chance of working around this issue within OMP itself. Another note: invoking gstreamer at the CLI avoids this problem.
I can't promise anything, but there are already some workarounds to MAFW's unexpected behavior, so I can look into this one too.

Happy to send a test video link if needed.
Yes, please.

Originally Posted by neboja View Post
i like drag&drop thing, but i actually want same thing in now playing window (playlist edit in now playing).
I'm still not sure what's better in having a separate window for editing the playlist...

Originally Posted by neboja View Post
p.s. btw, could you MAYBE release .deb (so it is like independent player.... or even put it in repo... ??? (this is question for all devs involved )
It's faster to just throw a file into an archive than to make a deb, so I can spend more time on programming. I wanted to make it a long time ago, but each time I have some free time, I decide it's better to fix a bug or something.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 159 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ India
hey... nice workaround gidzzz...it seems like stock media player is just on the verge...

bt can u just focus on slider a little bit more please...it is not so good in response as stock... and nice work of making album art smaller in portrait.. but if play,prev,next buttons would be in centre in portrait mode...it would look nice..(just an idea)

and long pressing video thumbnail should give options of sharing and deleting...also the category view doesn't work....

thankuuuu...gidzzz.....!!!

Posts: 277 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgrade
ok ok! anyway, thanks for effort! keep up the good work! kudos to you!

Hi thanks to everyone involved in this project but i have a little request would it be possible to move the play pause next track button to the middle of the screen under the album art compared to the bottom of the screen as its a bit awkward to press it when using it with one hand its more easier to press in the middle of the screen!

Also in my personal view i think in the entertainment view if we have coverflow implemented that would be amazing!

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Berlin/Germany
hi gidzzz,

are you planing to integrate editing of mp3 idtags?

Would be great!

Just a suggestion: if you're really desperate for solid ID3 editing, Debian Lenny-armel's id3tools package works well on N900. While it is command-line, it's very useful for modifying many mp3s at once.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wumpwoast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ The Netherlands
Does anyone have tried playing .pls files? The stock player plays them fine most of the time, but I can't get them working with OMP. The default radiostations play fine, but the added .pls radiostations won't play...

Originally Posted by knobby View Post
bt can u just focus on slider a little bit more please...it is not so good in response as stock...
I was doing some experiments yesterday and it will improve.

Originally Posted by knobby View Post
and long pressing video thumbnail should give options of sharing and deleting...also the category view doesn't work....
Share/delete is ready. If I remember correctly, there's no category view, just that broken button, so it will take longer.

Originally Posted by romiiio View Post
would it be possible to move the play pause next track button to the middle of the screen under the album art compared to the bottom of the screen as its a bit awkward to press it when using it with one hand its more easier to press in the middle of the screen!
If you support the phone from below with your pinky, you can position your thumb lower and to the side, and then it's not that hard, probably easier than to rearrange the interface.

Originally Posted by bitrocky View Post
are you planing to integrate editing of mp3 idtags?
There's already some code related to it, but it's just a stub. I have no specific plans, although I think it's not a bad idea.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:

Tags
libplayback, mag 4 prez, media, open source, player, portrait mode, re-write, remake, reverse