Active Topics

I don't expect to gain much favor by stating this but I don't believe that Jobs should be idolized as some kind of messianic figure. He was an EXCELLENT salesman. He saw an untapped market and went for it. He didn't really create anything - he just made it marketable to the masses. While his contribution was huge to the technological industry - he was more of just a really charismatic salesman. I respect the man, he saw something that not many "suits" saw and he went for it. But to call him a huge leader of innovation, visionary, etc. is a little absurd. The mere fact that whenever you see a lowercase i in front of a word speaks volumes about his skill as a salesman. His concepts weren't new ideas, they were new takes on old ideas dressed up and marketed in a very unique fashion.

http://youtu.be/wdrKWArr3XY - without a doubt his key notes were far more interesting than "Xerox Windows"

I think this silly web page best describes his marketing logic: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

None the less a great loss for the industry, however I just believe to give credit where it is due. When Woz dies no one will blink an eye.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 202 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ France 55
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Sometimes idiocy can reach truly amazing levels.
You can be mean, that don't change my mind, i don't know this guy, and i hate the way he make all these apple things, it's not just capitalism, it's really more...
If you don't understand, well sorry that's not my native language.
That's the second time someone insult me on this forum, i don't know how you live community, but we don't have the same vision...

When i read all that comments on the web, i'd like to know what this people will say when their mother will die...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to turbovomit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Alger
Originally Posted by turbovomit View Post
When i read all that comments on the web, i'd like to know what this people will say when their mother will die...
Mine left me this summer...
Jobs didn't cry for her, so I won't cry for him...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brahim98 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
I think this silly web page best describes his marketing logic: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone
LMAO, nothing was more true than

"5,235,538 people who bought an iPhone hadn't heard of the Nokia E70 until now because Nokia's marketing team is too busy tossing salad to get the word out."

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Webster's Dictionary defines <blank> as...
I regret that I'm too busy to get into a grammar war today.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Please, don't try to correct a fluent English speaker
I'm sure that's good advice.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
2a : to distend with or as if with air or gas : inflate b : to make proud or conceited
This is fun!

My core intention was not to correct you; it was to amuse myself and possibly others. I'm quite certain that you know your way 'round a dictionary; no demonstrations of competence are required here. In a grammar war, there will be no winners.

Besides, I've been reading your posts for a long time now and when they're good, they're good (e.g. your recent post on vi was useful and informative, some time ago I learned about the Right To Repair Bill from one of your posts etc. etc.)

So, err... peace!

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
I don't think anyone would ever really appreciate what Steve Jobs had done unless you have been using or following Apple products extensively.

Steve knew what consumers will use and will love and he had the passion, under his direction, to create those products. Sure, there are a lot of more talented/skillful folks out there but do they have the same passion? At least I don't, but Steve makes me strive to do better.

Nowadays you don't see many people that can really inspire you. It has been an honor to have been inspired by a Steve Jobs in my lifetime.

Stay hungry.

Last edited by Reggie; 2011-10-07 at 13:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Some people are not inspired by making money, at least i'm not and that is what Steve Jobs was good at, making money, selling.
I appreciate people like Jeb Corliss immeasurable times more the people the likes of Steve Jobs, even Bill Gates (with his humanitarian efforts) is a lot higher on the pedestal then Steve Jobs for me.
I wonder if people will be so affected when (god forbid) Steve Wozniak is gone.

For people that don't know who Jeb Corliss is, good music too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iNC-k

Last edited by Daneel; 2011-10-07 at 14:08.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jstokes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by jstokes View Post
My opinion matches Stallman's: http://stallman.org/archives/2011-ju...8Steve_Jobs%29
thank you for the link. (stallman, btw, is a true visionary, he changed the world to be a better place.)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Steve knew what consumers will use and will love and he had the passion, under his direction, to create those products. Sure, there are a lot of more talented/skillful folks out there but do they have the same passion? At least iDon't, but he makes me strive to do better.
There, corrected that for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:

Tags
r.i.p., steve jobs