Active Topics

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Paris, France
Thank you, works great.

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
iwconfig is part of wireless-tools package which is available in the nokia (standard) repository and maemo.org {tools,sdk} repository.

To install this you will need to run (as root):
Code:
apt-get install wireless-tools
It does not work with 2G/3G network because it does not comply with 802.11 wireless protocols. You will however see an interface but it will show up without wireless extensions. If you want to see useful information from your 2G/3G network interface you may want to try using ifconfig instead. From memory I believe 2G/3G network interface is known as phonet0.

Back to the main topic, Agilan can you paste your dmesg output?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Thanks tuxsavvy, everybody at maemo is being very helpful, really appreciate it

I have my n900 in a container of rice at the moment, just a safety measure. What command would I need to use to provide a 'dmeg output'?

The Following User Says Thank You to Agilan For This Useful Post:
Agilan, you need to run this in X Terminal:
Code:
dmesg >> /home/user/MyDocs/kernel.log
The file kernel.log should now be in your eMMC which can be accessible via USB Mass Storage Mode and transferred to PC for instance with copying and pasting all the data.

If you're going to paste it here, I suggest you to use pastebin.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Tuxsavvy thanks for helping me!
This is the result of the command
Dmesg
http://pastebin.com/6Uxs1y4h

This is my result for
iwconfig
http://pastebin.com/nbnDU9Jw

Posts: 137 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Drama, Greece
[ 2.900695] UBI: number of bad PEBs: 1

the only error from dmsg i can spot is a bad block on NAND flash
it is automatically corrected and you will be fine if they stay <20

The Following User Says Thank You to andreas.k For This Useful Post:
Posts: 137 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Drama, Greece
oh spotted something else as well

smc91x: not found (-19)

this is a panic message it means it cant find a device (maybe wlan0)

SOMEONE ELSE WHO KNOWS PLEASE HELP

edit iwconfig wlan0 is just fine thats why I cant tell whats wrong

Last edited by andreas.k; 2011-10-03 at 08:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to andreas.k For This Useful Post:
Apologies, I almost forgot about this thread.

I had a look at your dmesg output, it seems to be incomplete. A more complete looking dmesg output should look something like this.

I'm not saying your dmesg output should be exactly like that but notice how on mine with the ticks (indicated with square brackets followed by numbers) starts with 0.000?

Anyhow, you do have a wireless interface which may mean that there's nothing wrong with the wireless chipset. Have you tried manually scanning? this may not necessarily work in managed mode (note from your pastebin from iwconfig) though you can do something like this:
Code:
iwlist wlan0 scan
If you fail to get results when you normally could before, try using something like kismet or aircrack-ng to turn your wireless interface temporarily into monitor interface and see if it picks up APs.

Now before you wonder why I am making you fork out wireless penetration testing tools, these two tools are using other ways to pick up APs from where your device is placed. If either or both of these tools could pick up APs as opposed to using the aforementioned command with iwlist wlan0 scan then retry scanning again with managed mode twice (give a few seconds in between the testing in managed mode). If it fails your chipset may have issue.

Both kismet and aircrack-ng can be obtained from extras-devel repository. kismet can be started via:
Code:
kismet
The specific tool from aircrack-ng that needs to be started (yes, aircrack-ng is actually a suite) is (as root):
Code:
airodump-ng wlan0
Ctrl+C usually makes these programs exit as it sends an interrupt signal. To get back to managed mode do (as root):
Code:
ifconfig wlan0 down && iwconfig wlan0 mode managed && ifconfig wlan0 up
This is not a foolproof method but it might be a way to test and see where the potential culprit maybe.

Do note that overclocking may have damaged internal components of your device. You were forewarned about the risks with overclocking, this could be one of the end result.

Edit: andreas.k: If you want to see a screwed up wireless interface (no wlan0 interface that is) in a log, have a look at this. This came from a person I was helping before that encountered this fault. No idea if the result of this was due to overclocking or what.

Last edited by tuxsavvy; 2011-10-03 at 09:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
When I try
iwlist wlan0 scan
I get this error

'wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down'