Active Topics

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Perhaps shop around for a better supplier? Archos for example seem to publish their sources, and the device specs aren't bad either.

Edit: Matthew Garrett has an android tablet GPL compliance summary.
We need more than the kernel source. Devices like the Dell Streak 5 and Nook Color have already been tried, but ran into a wall because some essential thing like the WiFi chip was not open.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Edit: Matthew Garrett has an android tablet GPL compliance summary.
There are at least 164 android tablets on the market? woah..

What about Tegra2 based devices?

At least cpu/video/camera should be the same for quite a few devices, and nvidia somewhat supports linux on the tegra2.

What I don't know is how different the other hardware (wifi, touch, 3g) is between these devices, but I would guess there should be some overlap there, too, or am I totally wrong here? A short search didn't lead me to the actual hardware used...

/ Mathias

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
We need more than the kernel source. Devices like the Dell Streak 5 and Nook Color have already been tried, but ran into a wall because some essential thing like the WiFi chip was not open.
Which is why I mentioned Archos, apparently the gen8 range is quite close to the N9{,50} (OMAP3630, WL1271 etc), and they do have an open mode like Nokia used to promise.

That "43 Internet Tablet" is looking more tempting every day...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hi, I'm wondering if I'm just an odd.
When this thread started, I thought that everyone here had the same tablet. A N900, or even a N810. I'm the proud owner of one of each and I'd love to use hildon desktop on top of any linux distro newer than stock on them.
I think that CordiaTab should be a project completely apart from Cordia as Hildon Desktop. Many have figured out that a hardware project has a really high complexity level.
My question is, Will Cordia evolve as a project over Tizen or will it became a linux distro for devices such as N900/N9?
Thanks for your time.
Kind regards,

The Following User Says Thank You to blackskyel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Agreed. In light of recent kernel sources fail + today news, Cordia seems to be dead twice [...]
Could you please stop spreading this FUD? You clearly do know nothing about Cordia project.

Cordia isn't dead, didn't fail and is progressing as usual.

We already do not depend on MeeGo, so the latest Tizen news do not concern us.
Dedicated hardware is a nice bonus to have, but the focus on Cordia project is on software stack.
And can you imagine, there is more than one tablet manufacturer in the world?

Last edited by smoku; 2011-09-29 at 20:16.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
How about concntrating on the n900 build?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Could you please stop spreading this FUD? You clearly do know nothing about Cordia project.

Cordia isn't dead, didn't fail and is progressing as usual.
I don't think Estel has intentionally spread the FUD. As far as I've followed on this forum, Estel was always one of most enthusiastic and fair members on this forum. There is some disambiguation with the name of your software and hardware project - both contain word Cordia. It is quite understandable for people to loose precision when dramatic events (such as Intel dumping Meego) occur. If you add a bit of history of maemo on top of that, it is easy to slip to negative mood.

We already do not depend on MeeGo, so the latest Tizen news do not concern us.
Dedicated hardware is a nice bonus to have, but the focus on Cordia project is on software stack.
Well said! I think everybody here appreciate the amount of your personal time, and skills invested in both software development and hardware research.

And can you imagine, there is more than one tablet manufacturer in the world?
The game is not over yet. New tablets appear all the time, and there are some new SoCs on horizon. Eventually, the appropriate platform will be found.

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-09-30 at 07:43.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Smoku, calm down. It was not my intention to discourage You, and - like momcilo well said - I appreciate your effort (both time and money investments) in Cordia(s). Judging by reaction, I think I didn't elaborated enough and my post could look like "catastrophic theory" one. Anyway, for many reasons I'm starting to be very skeptical for concept of huge re-use of hildon parts in any "true open" project, but I'll left this behind for now, cause I really don't want to discourage anyone. Also, please notice, that I'm still on pre-order "interested" list - wishing to spent my money and time, in case of Cordia project going further - so, I'm definitely not fatalist.

As for "you don't know anything about Cordia" - that may be true. Especially, that for more than month You're unable to provide mailing list archive ( from before incorporating this feature - asked many times before, and already promised). By - at the same time - Your denial to post regular updates here (by rather philosophical reasons against TMO, not the meritocratic ones), it's extremely hard for non-devs (and AFAIK, you're the only one Cordia dev, currently), to know Cordia well from all angles.

No offense intended - in this or last post, and I'm still holding my thumbs for project, even if I totally don't agree with some decisions about maintaining this promising project.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
As for "you don't know anything about Cordia" - that may be true. Especially, that for more than month You're unable to provide mailing list archive ( from before incorporating this feature - asked many times before, and already promised).
Get your facts straight.
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp....rdia.devel/152 - this is the very first message sent to the list. Is it in the web-available archive, or not? Am I the one failing the minimum effort and waiting to be spoon-fed?

By - at the same time - Your denial to post regular updates here (by rather philosophical reasons against TMO, not the meritocratic ones), it's extremely hard for non-devs (and AFAIK, you're the only one Cordia dev, currently), to know Cordia well from all angles.
Yet you feel you know it well, and spread the FUD about the project. How hypocritical...

Tags
cordia, fremantle ux, hildon, maemo 5 ux, meego, sanctuary, the garden