Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Spotted this news, not sure if yet reported:

"Unity Technologies to Bring Union Games to Nokia N9 Mobile Platform"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44705237

Don't know if they have any interesting titles though.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to myrjola For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
Lindegaard said:
"3 will only get 170 units (for sale, im guessing)"

So many?
3 seems to have a market share of roughly 10% (bit less maybe) in denmark, so if we extrapolate that figure, we would get about 1'700 for all denmark carriers, and if we keep in mind that denmark has a population of about 5million, we can extrapolate again to get a total of 170'000 phones for the EU (without taking into account the countries that allegedly don't get the N9)

Conclusion: Extrapolating is fun xD
...(but maybe useless)^^

edit: please correct me if the numbers i've based the calculations on are grossly off, i got all of them in a 30s google search :-)

Last edited by Hydroponies; 2011-09-28 at 20:26.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
soooooooooooon

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Some weird thoughts went through my head...

I know that Elop and the rest of Nokia knew nothing about the MeeGo folding into Tizen announcement; however they will still try to benefit from by stating that it would not have been beneficial to them. And honestly, they'd be a bit right. Tizen isn't pushing the Nokia purchased Qt upfront. People are up in arms about that, some rightfully so. But the move to HTML5 further supports the anti-Flash (and Adobe AIR) sentiment.

So what will happen now? Will the 2015 statement about support and updates now be invalid? Or will it be further qualified/limited to be just around the Swipe UI/Harmattan?

MeeGo 1.3 was due next month. Now what will happen with that?

Mango was released this week. Maemo was "killed" again this week - the upgrade path to MeeGo was already somewhat muddy, the upgrade path to Tizen is unclear. MeeGo was "killed" this week, rolled into Tizen. And the N9 is still yet to be sold.

If this was engineered, it was engineered only to try to prop up WP7 as the one true future for Nokia. Which, full circle, benefits Elop's decisions.

Samsung going for Tizen, now they're a 4 mobile OS company. Android, WP7, Bada and now Tizen. Tizen isn't ready to replace their Android tablets and phones. I'd love to see a Galaxy S3 with Tizen and see it sell like the Galaxy S2 numbers - 10 million in a couple months. Bada is looking to be future open-sourced. So how does Tizen benefit Samsung? If they they did drop Android, now Microsoft only can charge royalties for WP7, no more for Android.

Thus... Google loses. But as it stands, Android is deeply entrenched into their phones and tablet strategy. In a few weeks, I expect something from Samsung pertaining their tablets - the 7.7 and 8.9 as well as Samsung Note just passed through (or are passing through) FCC right now.

Tizen needs traction. People looking at only Qt as their reason why it will fail, I disagree. Qt Components don't even run equally across Symbian and Maemo/MeeGo. Where's the "run anywhere" mentality? Qt Quick/QML isn't fully supported on the prior Maemo 4.1 - despite an update or two. But then again, that's been settled via MeeGo CE on that platform. But the aforesaid problem still exists.

Android is a source of revenue for Microsoft - vague patents that have yet to be explained in full detail. Samsung is paying Microsoft doubly. Tizen might resolve that, but it's far too early.

And the rest of the anger towards Tizen/Qt - it didn't help MeeGo that Qt was there. MeeGo didn't benefit from Nokia - February 2010, they announced full support. February 2011, they denounced MeeGo, surprising Intel. They've yet to still fully release the N9, and now this happens... there's no upgrade path described from MeeGo 1.2 under Harmattan to Tizen 1.x under Harmattan. So that's now a dead-end, as previously predicted by Elop (in so many words).

Now what is next?

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
I think they got a bulk deal on those 1Ghz chip, since TI is losing business like whoa. Ironically, they're losing business cuz Nokia is losing business heh.
As long as it performs the way it's meant to perform I have no qualms though
Then it should cost less. TI isn't really losing business - the OMAP 4 + PowerVR is looking like a killer combo, beating quad-core Tegra 3 in most cases... for cheaper.

Performs what you need, today. Sure. But in a few months, people will be looking to overclock it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Some awkward limitations with Mango's WiFi hotspot
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...strictions.ars
I wonder how N9's WiFi hotspot compares, does it have a 5-person limit like Mango?
Sounds like the usual Ms.

Best comment:

MS just wants to fail, right?

That's the only reason I can think of for doing EVERYTHING so half arsed.

"Here's this great feature, that pretty much every other phone has had for a year or 2, that if you don't have the RIGHT phone, you'll have to buy another Win7 phone to get. A feature that's software only"

MS really doesn't get the market. No loss in my mind, my 2 year old android phone STILL has a much more advanced feature set then ANY Win7 phone with this update. What a crock.
...half arsed, that's MS' own territory.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoiElMPDSus
there is NO WAY N9 will only sell 92000 deviices how ****ing stupid would that be with that marketing they doing now :O

btw. big announce in sweden http://www.meegosweden.com/images/stories/n9reklam.jpg

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

I know that Elop and the rest of Nokia knew nothing about the MeeGo folding into Tizen announcement; however they will still try to benefit from by stating that it would not have been beneficial to them. And honestly, they'd be a bit right. Tizen isn't pushing the Nokia purchased Qt upfront. People are up in arms about that, some rightfully so. But the move to HTML5 further supports the anti-Flash (and Adobe AIR) sentiment.

So what will happen now? Will the 2015 statement about support and updates now be invalid? Or will it be further qualified/limited to be just around the Swipe UI/Harmattan?

Mango was released this week. Maemo was "killed" again this week - the upgrade path to MeeGo was already somewhat muddy, the upgrade path to Tizen is unclear. MeeGo was "killed" this week, rolled into Tizen. And the N9 is still yet to be sold.

If this was engineered, it was engineered only to try to prop up WP7 as the one true future for Nokia. Which, full circle, benefits Elop's decisions.

Samsung going for Tizen, now they're a 4 mobile OS company. Android, WP7, Bada and now Tizen. Tizen isn't ready to replace their Android tablets and phones. I'd love to see a Galaxy S3 with Tizen and see it sell like the Galaxy S2 numbers - 10 million in a couple months. Bada is looking to be future open-sourced. So how does Tizen benefit Samsung? If they they did drop Android, now Microsoft only can charge royalties for WP7, no more for Android.

Thus... Google loses. But as it stands, Android is deeply entrenched into their phones and tablet strategy. In a few weeks, I expect something from Samsung pertaining their tablets - the 7.7 and 8.9 as well as Samsung Note just passed through (or are passing through) FCC right now.

Tizen needs traction. People looking at only Qt as their reason why it will fail, I disagree. Qt Components don't even run equally across Symbian and Maemo/MeeGo. Where's the "run anywhere" mentality? Qt Quick/QML isn't fully supported on the prior Maemo 4.1 - despite an update or two. But then again, that's been settled via MeeGo CE on that platform. But the aforesaid problem still exists.

Android is a source of revenue for Microsoft - vague patents that have yet to be explained in full detail. Samsung is paying Microsoft doubly. Tizen might resolve that, but it's far too early.

And the rest of the anger towards Tizen/Qt - it didn't help MeeGo that Qt was there. MeeGo didn't benefit from Nokia - February 2010, they announced full support. February 2011, they denounced MeeGo, surprising Intel. They've yet to still fully release the N9, and now this happens... there's no upgrade path described from MeeGo 1.2 under Harmattan to Tizen 1.x under Harmattan. So that's now a dead-end, as previously predicted by Elop (in so many words).

Now what is next?

I have no idea what's going to happen next. Personally i have lost all the little faith i had before for open community projects like MeeGo. Never been any kind of open source fanatic so i can enjoy my ipad 2 with no remorse, but always liked strong communities around the device like Maemo had and Android has.

As of N9 support i don't think this affects it in any way? That's how i have always thought about the MeeGo and Harmattan artificial bond. Harmattan is still separate entity from MeeGo and while Nokia's efforts for MeeGo in the end where very little, so are benefits of what MeeGo brought to N9/N950.

Only thing i hope to happen is that Qt and the tools made will still be developed and put in to use be it any company behind them. Same goes for Swipe UI that will certainly stay in Nokia's hands.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

Now what is next?
whats next is that "maemo6 harmattan" is stil alive and first PR upgrade around a month after release. atleast what nnokia said today.

also meego core has been dead for months it seems. meegoux inactive but qt-components for harmattan active developed... so nothing new. activite development has been from the Meego 1.3 CE team for n9xx and funny is some of those is actually Nokia employers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????