Active Topics

Closed Thread
That is some incredibly r3tarded troll logic you're showing here.

I.e., let me rephrase: "I can't buy good steak at the supermarket anymore, so to spite the damned argibusiness I will from now on only eat fermented dog turds and cocaine".

Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Well, I guess this is the point where I have to stop hoping I'll be able to keep running a gnu/linux phone. I developed a few apps for Openmoko, for Maemo, and I am in the process of porting code to Meego. I purchased four Openmoko phones, and three N900s. But this is one restart too many for me. I'll nurse my N900s for as long as I can, and then transition to Android.

It's too depressing for words.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
That is some incredibly r3tarded troll logic you're showing here.

I.e., let me rephrase: "I can't buy good steak at the supermarket anymore, so to spite the damned argibusiness I will from now on only eat fermented dog turds and cocaine".
Actually, once you get used to the taste, fermented dog turds are not that bad. However, I'd stay away from the cocaine...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
That depends.

The most annoying and wrong-headed thing about MeeGo is their promotion of Qt as the preferred (and sometimes 'required') native toolkit.

Linux-with-Qt-required isn't Linux, it's a travesty.

If it's Linux, I want all the toolkits -- Qt, GTK, SDL, ncurses.

Note that I've got nothing to say about Tizen yet. If they allow any toolkit to be installed, like a proper Linux OS, then more power to them for doing everyone a service.

If Tizen is another locked-down, HTML5-only appstore toy, then they can go die in a fire for all I care.

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
" the likely scenario is that Qt will continue to play a major role in Tizen projects, but it will not be promoted as part of the core primary developer environment."

Not good enough!

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:
^

Is it possible to write html5-apps without some platform-specific javascript framework? I know Qt will never be supported on android/iOS but I wonder where the incentive is to support open standards when it comes to web apps.

**** like this makes me throw my hands up in disgust.

The dream of FOSS for a mobile OS is in ruins now. This just goes to prove that anything on this scale is just not possible on a community level. We are at the whims of the big boys, and they don't care a whit about FOSS.

HTML5? That's a web technology. It isn't something that you write all applications in. For Linux to be strong, it needs a common API. If Qt isn't there, that's shot all to hell.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheLongshot For This Useful Post:
That depends.

The most annoying and wrong-headed thing about MeeGo is their promotion of Qt as the preferred (and sometimes 'required') native toolkit.

Note that I've got nothing to say about Tizen yet. If they allow any toolkit to be installed, like a proper Linux OS, then more power to them for doing everyone a service.

If Tizen is another locked-down, HTML5-only appstore toy, then they can go die in a fire for all I care.
Hey, if you want Linux to continue to be a second-class citizen, go ahead and promote multiple frameworks that basically do the same thing.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheLongshot For This Useful Post:

i see your point, and i speak as a KDE/Qt fan, but i liked that Meego was heavily focussed on Qt.

that said:

Totally agreed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Tizzzzzzzen for galaxy note now!

ole ole ole when?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Confederatio Helvetica
Buy a Citizen watch, cover the first two letters and there you go!!! A Tizen watch - sooooooo neat!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rentze For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
Sounds like a load of horse dung to me. It looks like the N900 will have to live forever......

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whayong For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
déjà vu, tizen