Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Metsämies View Post
WP is not wanted anywhere. Samsung, HTC etc have WP-phones already in the USA and market share is about 1%. No multitasking, power hungry, ugly tiles homescreen and made by most hated company, MS.
Am reffering to the Nokia WP device about to be released not the previous models you are reffering too and that information comes from Nokia not the web.

You might actually be shocked but this community no way stands for world opinions.

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by freexsa View Post
Nokia held a event in Cape Town, South Africa on 22 Sept. They announced that the N9 will be available in SA from mid October.
We discussed that the morning after the launch event, must be about 200 posts back ...

The operator I'm with is also advertising the device.
Which one? Vodacom? I haven't seen any advertising for the N9 yet.

Sad thing is that my contract is up for renewal only in July next year Hopefully I can still get one by that time....
Mine has been up since about June, and I haven't taken a phone as I've been waiting for N9. I'll probably give it to my wife, and hang on to my N900 myself for now.

The Following User Says Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands

The Following User Says Thank You to Zekahz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
It's looking like next week is quite possible...
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...543&p=58#r1147
Many retailers are starting to say they'll have stock ready to be sold by then etc.

What are your predictions abill_uk???
I hope your are right but this has been soo many dates in Sweden for long but all seems to be "followers" but non actually seems to know...

Originally Posted by Metsämies View Post
WP is not wanted anywhere. Samsung, HTC etc have WP-phones already in the USA and market share is about 1%. No multitasking, power hungry, ugly tiles homescreen and made by most hated company, MS.
"powerhungry" well thats why Microsoft NEEDS nokia. Atleast Nokia knows about powersaving. Atleast on symbian mobiles...

Funny is Nokia will actually help fix those bugs in WP and implement swipe and similar is my guess...

And I wouldn't be suprised if they port Qt to even if Eflop said before they dont.

Hint: If I remember right Microsoft abandoned silverlight some month after Nokia got in bed with Microsoft...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Question is who will get this weeks release of the N9!?

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Posted earlier ^ except part 4
Nokia Australia
The Nokier N9

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfeqG3QJcT8

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_2rA2kdgUs

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB3BByibWGA

Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1H288D_wNo

I haven't seen this commercial before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miaIka-jHAs

KIRF N9's
10:47 Chinese video with a green "N9" along with the other 3 colors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezzTusd1Kus
Looks like they put a symbian OS with touch wiz and cube transitions and mixed other OS features into it, weird.
Lol at 7:45 they have girls in dresses on the screen and when you blow on the phone their dress hikes up. lol
Or you can erase the dress off by rubbing to get to the bikini.

Last edited by aironeous; 2011-09-26 at 09:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tschak909 View Post
I am a developer who has had the N950 since the first wave were released to developers back in July.

Some things I can say after months of constantly using and developing for the phone:

* The combination of C++ and QML has allowed me to develop an app that not only interfaces to a large existing code base (LinuxMCE), but also gives us a next generation UI that we are crossing over to on-screen displays, tablets, and handsets across Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, Fremantle, Harmattan, MeeGo, and Android, currently.

* The pre-release software has some bugs, yes. But they did not impact my day to day use of the phone, nor did they impede my ability to write applications. I have hit the power button a grand total of 4 times in the months since I first got the N950, 3 of those were to deal with the dialer UI disappearing (was not able to hang up a call), 1 was to deal with a race condition in my app that was causing hell. I call this very stable for development hardware, the most stable I've ever used.

* This _is_ the best operating system Nokia has ever built, period. It suffers from none of the scalability problems and restrictions of Symbian, and it is fast and responsive.

* The usability, performance, and feature issues I had with Fremantle, were not only dealt with in Harmattan, but were vastly surpassed.

* Remember guys, this phone could very well have become vapourware, but it isn't. The phone hardware exists, is being mass produced, and can be bought. Yes, it is the last one of the line, but I applaud that the entire Nokia Internet Tablet experiment HAPPENED, and that PRODUCTION units were made of not one, but SIX different units (I do count the N950 in this list, because the N950 IS production tooled.)

I _am_ depressed about the fact that I am developing software for a phone that very few people will see, but with my combination of ANSI STL based C++, Qt based C++, and QML, my code is both reasonably portable (it does run just fine as a JNI under the Android NDK, and faster than the equivalent Dalvik app!), and performs very well, and will continue to do so, as I move it to other platforms. (C/C++ will always have to be an option because of commercial game developers who _INSIST_ on having the OPTION to write native code!)

While I do understand the long term frustrations of many on the various threads throughout the years on T.M.O. ... it really could have been worse. I've witnessed far worse happening to superior platforms over the last 25 some odd years...

We need to understand that ultimately, most victories are small, they move progress in tiny steps. Maemo, Moblin, and MeeGo, and even Android have set precedent for an open operating system environment (please, no pedantism! A little open, is better than completely closed, because being open is very much like a crack in the dam, eventually more water gets through, and the dam collapses.), we need to stop acting like little children who want our cake "now", and be both productive and patient, working towards a future where as time goes on, more and more of what is created by both the community, and companies with community interests are open.

-Thom Cherryhomes
Core Developer - LinuxMCE
http://www.linuxmce.org/
Brilliant post. I quote it here because it's very much worth repeating. In fact, it should be part of a tmo wiki.

Oh, and abill_uk is a tool.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Nokia knows about power saving? Maybe on the S40's. The last Nokia that I owned that could last a night without a charge was the N95-8GB.

The N97 would last 8 hours with use and 12 without. The N900 - despite multiple new batteries/changed handsets and then tweaking of the power kernel - turning off vibrate etc got me around 3-5 hours with heavy use and 12 with little use. I know some people claim 48 hour use without charge but my experience with 'smartphones' and battery life remains negative. Not just nokia, same for HTC/Samsung.

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
daperl - good to see you on here. Miss your valuable posts. Unfortunately I dont blame you for staying away either.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????