Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Why is it flawed? That's what the whole point of WP7 was. WinMo 6.5 was super functional, but lacked eye-candy. Look where they both stand now...
I already said why it's flawed, you're saying UI is basically the only thing that could make it sell, and if that fails to win them over then it's over. You totally ignore EVERY merit of the OS other than UI.
I'm saying UI is not everything and it showed, consumers want UI PLUS massive functionality. The whole package Have you used a WP7 phone? Have you used it with mango preleases?
Symbian is also functional and lacked eye candy as well. It just reiterates my point. Initial release of WP7 DID NOT deliver on function, Mango, changes that. If you check the reviews, most reviewers saw the POTENTIAL of the platform (due to it's unique UI), but panned its functionality from the get go.

Originally Posted by patlak View Post
I thought the point was to do what the consumers want, and they surely don't want WP7. He is putting the company at stake by using a third party OS that sells poorly. Better risk things like that with a proprietary OS.
You're basing this on <1 year of poor sales? harsh. Let's wait on a wave of new devices at least from Nokia then conclude. As i keep saying, a LOT of people want to see WP7 on Nokia hardware.
Besides it's not like Nokia cannot fall back to another strategy. What is the worse that can happen? They''ll just have another n96 or n97 among a shitload of crap devices that they've made before but at least this time they'll have a shitload of money that Microsoft gave them

And that job was to prepare Nokia to be sold to Microsoft.

Originally Posted by Laughing_Man View Post
TLDR version: Elop is just a guy hired to do a job. And he did a good job.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Elop does a first class job.
What has he done that is just so praiseworthy? I mean, seriously... list out three different things that have had a positive effect on Nokia so far.

Be specific.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
What has he done that is just so praiseworthy? I mean, seriously... list out three different things that have had a positive effect on Nokia so far.

Be specific.
1. Phasing out of Symbian.
2. Formed strategic partnership with MS
3. Continued support for innovation in hardware and user experience, N9, and future devices.
4. Restructured the company, and challenged it to re-inovate

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
1. Phasing out of Symbian.
Symbian's sales have been the only bright spot in this last quarter. Well that and a hefty payment from Apple.

2. Formed strategic partnership with MS
Yet to produce any fruits from that... but we'll see. Patience is required for this part.

3. Continued support for innovation in hardware and user experience, N9, and future devices.
Was already in place before he got there. He didn't stop it, so... yeah, I'll give you that one.

4. Restructured the company, and challenged it to re-inovate
Extra points for your bonus! But can you really call this a restructure when honestly he's taking their existing budgets, moved it to Windows Phone 7. Reappropriation is more like it. But that's semantics.

Again, that last bit requires patience. Nothing has come from these changes yet. In fact, Symbian Anna and Belle seem to have gotten a bit leaner, faster (on updates) and have inherited some faster hardware.

gerbick, you're arguing with a marketing shill. Don't bother.

It's painfully obvious the guy just copy-pasted some drivel from some marketing handbook. (I mean, come on! 'Restructured the company, and challenged it to re-inovate'? Only corporate prostitutes and people with lobotomies can speak in this manner with a straight face.)

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
...skipped...

Last edited by tkatchev; 2011-09-15 at 17:51.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
This community may well be about Nokia devces but it is NOT Nokia, it is actually a community based on progression of Maemo and Meego so what is the point even of talking about what Nokia have done wrong?.

What is to the point is what the community may have done wrong and how to get it moving forward in a positive way with positive idea's.

EVERY member of this community should ONLY be interested to talk and do about Maemo and Meego and the proggresion of.

And even trying to push iphone on this forum will eventually get you very disliked on here.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-09-15 at 15:03.

The question still stands, why risk it all on something that has not proven itself when they have MeeGo/Maemo which have both gathered much more interest? Nokia is shooting a moving target in the dark.

Symbian Belle could be Nokia's saviour, if one high-end device releases, plus it would be easy to switch to MeeGo when/if it releases and have those apps transferable since they are developed in Qt. Do you see Nokia's planned ecosystem and Microsoft's inability to "fit in?" Also, the same Ovi store was planned for the low-end S40 since it will be getting high-end 1GHz hardware also.

Elop does a first class job. He may not do the job you want, but he most certainly does the job the board want, and that is all that counts.
They wanted crashing sales and a crashing share price? Mmm... he has done a good job then

It's clear either the board are just as incompetent as Elop or they have received personal inducements to back him.

Before Elop NOKIA had sold the most smart phones in every single quarter ever. The handset division had never made a loss in any quarter ever. He's utterly destroyed that impressive long-standing record in a matter of a few months.

No doubt the teeniest-tiniest upturn from the pitiful position NOKIA now occupy and you'll be hailing it as some kind of vindication but NOKIA are now much more likely to crash and burn than ever recapture their number one position.

Even if they did recapture their number one spot with WP7 Elop still wouldn't have done a good job because he could have adopted WP7 without announcing he was killing Symbian so NOKIA didn't need to miss out on the billions of Euros of sales Elop's ridiculous announcement has cost NOKIA in the mean time.

I will get the N9 soon, the coolest phone so far in this century.
Ah, the outstanding contractual obligation phone that Elop is sabotaging on behalf of his real boss Steve Ballmer.

All this has happened during Elop.
Are you trying to give Elop credit for the N9? If so you're being absurd (again).

Have a look at this blog post by Felipe Contreras who is a NOKIA software engineer that actually worked on MeeGo for the N9.

Tags
bada rox, bigbadtroll!, ceo firing, fooled again, pissing contest