Active Topics

Poll: Would you be willing to donate to Maemo?
Poll Options
Would you be willing to donate to Maemo?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I have given real idea's with explanations and links for everyone to read and i consider that to be on topic and helpful to the cause of Maemo progression.

It is NOT my thread and i am being attacked by ysss, ejasmudar, Daneel and more will follow now because of them.

Please take note of this and read there posts and watch the reactions as it explains itself.
The topic isn't "how to obtain maemo's source code" nor "reverse engineering 101".

We were talking about raising money for maemo and how that is usually done in the context of FOSS organizations. (and how the particular scheme discussed in this thread differs from the norms)
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
The topic isn't "how to obtain maemo's source code" nor "reverse engineering 101".

We were talking about raising money for maemo and how that is usually done in the context of FOSS organizations. (and how the particular scheme discussed in this thread differs from the norms)
You are obviously VERY narrow minded.

Give people reasons to donate and they will more so if a good enough reason exsists.

I have given a REAL reason to donate because it will take a sizeable fund to accomplish a SUCCESSFUL Maemo OS.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Forest of Dean, England.
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Something like what NeoOffice/J might work: http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/donate.php

I just wonder what will be maintained.

Also OpenOffice have a donation option despite the fact its free software. I've donated a small amount.

PICTURES TAKEN WITH MY N900

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Re-engineer Maemo base with open components and support for multiple modern devices - DONE - it's called Meego.

Port Maemo UI to upto date OS with support for multiple modern Devices - DONE - It's called Cordia

FACT - Nokia from a tech support and updates pov have long forgotton about maemo.

IMO the N900 and this community have three options to survive and prosper

1. Encourage Devs to carry on with CSSU and developing open replacements to closed components on the N900.

2. Encourage Devs to ensure new versions of apps, both new and updated for harmattan are also available for Maemo on the N900 - N9 and Meego-Harmattan is where the majority of the future dev work is going to be.

3. Develop the N900 port of Meego where it can be a replacement/upgrade from Maemo, and can run harmattan apps with minimal work.

discuss..

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jstokes View Post
So, because he owns an iPhone, your implication is that $200 is nothing because he had enough money to buy an iPhone. Get real, dude.

I don't know if ysss has donated what he says - I have to take his word for it (not that I doubt he cares - but if it is true, it certainly is a greater amount than the $10 you've said that you'd put into this...what the **** do I call it...thing.

How much did you pay for your N900? I'm willing to bet it was greater than $10.

No the implication is you didnt read my original post to him regarding his ownership of an iPhone which came up long before he stated he had given $200 dollars to dev projects; ergo iPhone and $200 comments are not connected, except by you.

Last, but not least, $10 is an amount all can afford to give and lose without too much problem and what relevence my donation Poll ($10 yes/no/maybe) has with my purchase price of my N900 I have no idea.

People could donate what they want, the suggested is $10 and its a little more classy to not mention how much you have given in efforts to attract cred; though for some its too late.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thebtman For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by thebtman View Post
Also OpenOffice have a donation option despite the fact its free software. I've donated a small amount.
Ditto. I have no issues with donating time nor money with projects that I have continuously used that delivers features and bugfixes that benefit me.

The problem I'm seriously having - I will stand by my initial post of that I'd donate - is what will be maintained. The bits that are closed affect either only the N900 or largely make it harder to port elsewhere.

If that were not the case, we'd see more Maemo on other devices.

I'd love to see Maemo 5/Harmattan on say... a Nook Color. That project that placed MeeGo on a Nook Color seems to have stalled. I'd love to see less dependence on the Nokia N900 and have Maemo 5 on another device.

And I'd love to see better communication from the people over the maintenance - the people I'd be donating to - than as it stands exists from the existing committee (that gets their information from Nokia, then relays it to us).

That last part isn't to be politically scrutinized, it is just that when people donate, people have expectations. And when you donate to something like NeoOffice/J, well let's just say when OS X Lion came out, they had a fix in record time. Not even Adobe can say that about their $3000 USD or so Adobe Creative Suite 5 (CS5).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post

Inspired by an earlier post, my question is, would you be willing to donate $10 for the purpose of a fundpot, to be used for:
  • Devlopment of Maemo for other higher spec devices
  • Creation of some key apps missing from Maemo but popular on other platforms
  • To inspire skilled programmers working on other platforms to develop for Maemo also

Despite that initial post, noone has discussed the pros/cons of reaching those above goals. Most of the conversation has been, it cant be done, Maemo is dead, Noone will give, dont waste your time, your dreaming, get real etc etc

lol so no wonder its gone the way its gone

The Following User Says Thank You to thebtman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by thebtman View Post
No the implication is you didnt read my original post to him regarding his ownership of an iPhone which came up long before he stated he had given $200 dollars to dev projects; ergo iPhone and $200 comments are not connected, except by you.
Where the heck did I mention $200?

Look, I don't know what your main language is (although English is not my mother tongue either) but I think there's a communication breakdown somewhere.

Moreover my last post was addressed to abill, where he's flaming others for not being on topic whereas he was... where he usually is.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Ditto. I have no issues with donating time nor money with projects that I have continuously used that delivers features and bugfixes that benefit me.

The problem I'm seriously having - I will stand by my initial post of that I'd donate - is what will be maintained. The bits that are closed affect either only the N900 or largely make it harder to port elsewhere.

If that were not the case, we'd see more Maemo on other devices.

I'd love to see Maemo 5/Harmattan on say... a Nook Color. That project that placed MeeGo on a Nook Color seems to have stalled. I'd love to see less dependence on the Nokia N900 and have Maemo 5 on another device.

And I'd love to see better communication from the people over the maintenance - the people I'd be donating to - than as it stands exists from the existing committee (that gets their information from Nokia, then relays it to us).

That last part isn't to be politically scrutinized, it is just that when people donate, people have expectations. And when you donate to something like NeoOffice/J, well let's just say when OS X Lion came out, they had a fix in record time. Not even Adobe can say that about their $3000 USD or so Adobe Creative Suite 5 (CS5).

I think definitely it would be nice to see Maemo on other devices and I think thats a good place to start. I mean how fast would Maemo be running on something with alot more ram and a better processor....real quick I'd imagine

I definitely think the code needs to be released by Nokia (not hacked or RE)

Perhaps Blogs from maintenance or some kind of section on the forum for them to post.

The Following User Says Thank You to thebtman For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
You are obviously VERY narrow minded.
And this, kind sir, is where I step in and remind you how single purpose your rants about obtaining the entire source code for a commercial project - dying or not - has become your focus.

Per usual, no disrespect is meant by my words; however as it seems you have to drop that crusade and start thinking about how Maemo/Harmattan/MeeGo will survive in ways you've yet to think about.

So that means you have to expand your thinking. You have to start listening. And you have to stop demanding for stuff repeatedly that just will not make things happen.

Neither will oft repeated unlikely to happen items either such as this same request, in a rather wrong thread, for all of the source.

It will never happen. Even I got over that once I heard about the closed bits.

Give people reasons to donate and they will more so if a good enough reason exsists.
This is an idea thread. Instead of demanding, propose something. I did in my prior post. Follow suit.

I have given a REAL reason to donate because it will take a sizeable fund to accomplish a SUCCESSFUL Maemo OS.
I disagree. What you've given is your reason to donate. There are many, many other ways to accomplish something that's considered successful in terms of continued support.

Want proof? The recent Community SSU has gone through 3-4 iterations since the initial release a week or so ago to fix bugs, segfaults, etc.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
open-core trap, telethon time