Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Nokia has been pathetic. I would trust Samsung to do a far, far better job of handling this if this is true.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
wtf they have bada

why do they want meego?

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
wtf they have bada

why do they want meego?
Maybe because they wanted a full Linux operating system, not just a mobile OS environment on top of the Linux kernel? That would also differentiate it from running Android, which also just sits separately on top of a Linux kernel.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Galaxy note with meego. Yes, please.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
You guys know that Samsung definitively said they will not utilize WebOS. If they disagree to WebOS, what makes people think they will choose MeeGo?

So far they're strategy is to sell Android Smartphones and Bada Feature-Phones. They've got their fingers also dipped into Symbian (dumbphones), Windows Mobile (feature phones), and Windows Phone 7 (as a me-too alternative).

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
You guys know that Samsung definitively said they will not utilize WebOS. If they disagree to WebOS, what makes people think they will choose MeeGo?.
Perhaps, this is a reason why they won't utilize WebOS. See the relation to the rumor?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Nokia has been pathetic. I would trust Samsung to do a far, far better job of handling this if this is true.
Nokia has done an excellent job at software development, they just don't know what the hell they want. February was a month when everybody expected a N950, and they got a MS deal announcement which resulted in share prices drop and lots of negative responses from the consumers for choosing an inferior platform. June comes, N9 is announced, share prices rise after a long time, Godly reception towards both MeeGo and N9 even from the largest of haters, and what does Nokia do, they announce it's the last MeeGo device.

Samsung is doing a smart thing, they meet consumer demand. For this sole reason they have become number 1. They cover every handheld area one could think of.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
You guys know that Samsung definitively said they will not utilize WebOS. If they disagree to WebOS, what makes people think they will choose MeeGo?

So far they're strategy is to sell Android Smartphones and Bada Feature-Phones. They've got their fingers also dipped into Symbian (dumbphones), Windows Mobile (feature phones), and Windows Phone 7 (as a me-too alternative).
You are quite right, but then again it would make some sense to choose MeeGo as well. Samsung is becoming the "new Nokia" by picking up where Nokia slacked off in the past years untill now (and probably for some time to come as well). Hereby meaning the market variaty, and number of handsets and the quantity of those. Remember, Nokia has/had numerous OSes, varying from dumb to feature to sorta-high-end. And then, there's Maemo (and a lil' MeeGo I hope)

Android is their main system, with bada as its homebrewn one with lower prices and somewhat lesser functionality. (I even imagine that if they ditched bada and go android on these upcoming models it would not sell much worse IMHO). WP7 is also in their portfolio, yet careful and they are not all-in yet, because it's not popular yet (or its crap, you decide). Symbian and windows versions below 7 that are from Samsung, are not going to be updated much and are already kinda dead to Sammy.

To choose a third high-end OS sounds logical. With the market getting more tech-savvy (jailbreaking, unlocked bootloaders and stuff like that) a 'nerd OS' can prove to be useful in today's and tomorrow's market.

One of the main reasons not to experiment and release MeeGo handsets from Samsung is probably the little support it is getting. Samsung would then have to involve in MeeGo development, and are used to ready-to-use OSes like android and WP7 (drivers= another story). So with bada already under its wing for OS development, maybe they must ditch that first so their development can focus on an OS like MeeGo.

So.. Still little chance in the short run. And the long run is too impredictable just my cent$.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blipnl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
wtf they have bada

why do they want meego?
Bada shares a lot with Symbian on some level in my opinion (not the technical one, more the philosophy).
It's nice, but Samsung supports all the development costs, and market share is limited (to a subset of Samsung's own share)

Meego can probably be seen as a replacement for android whenever Google becomes to restrictive or Microsoft to patenty.

Maybe because they didn't say they definitely won't do MeeGo? Duh. They only eliminated WebOS. :P

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
false, no chance of a