Active Topics

how much did you have to pay in the end - full retail?

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

hehehehe, seriously was thinking about webos, untill it was dead. So how is your experience with HP pre 3, is it as worthy as n900

really if samsung is coming with physical keyboard , I will go with it, since ssh, root access and other things can be gained on android, so android would be ok for me

It has been frustrating to me that android phones with HW keyboards seem to be a very rare beast. While it wouldn't be the best replacement, it is the best out of a bunch of mediocre choices.

So, I'm not looking to replace my N900 anytime soon.

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
how much did you have to pay in the end - full retail?
It was an upgrade because my contract has ended, so phone was free.

The Pre 3 would be very nice also, but the HP announcement sealed the deal for the worse.

Have been using an android for a few weeks, a Samsung Nexus S. Its not bad, has some interesting points in favor, and i am sure i would appreciate it more if i was blind to the whole smartphone scene...and if i had never used an N900. :-)

The N900 was a milestone in development and approach, no matter how haters, critics or whoever wants to take a stab at it, decide to name it. I never used anything close to it and i am sure i never will, judging from the looks of things in the mobile OS world.

The N9 has been tempting to get, but the lack of hardware keyboard is a bit of a turn off, since, after the N900, i cant get used to a soft keyboard. Before i was the proud owner of the Palm Treos, from the 600 onwards - 650 and 680, and i loved the things. They also had hardware keyboards.

The galaxy with keyboard might be a good thing. Although i remember reading something about it being only available on At&T? Maybe its a proprietary offer? I am from Portugal so i am not so sure it will ever turn out here. And the price is always a turn off on those things. I payed 600 euros for my N900 and it is worth that much. The same value for a galaxy...with android..hmm, doesnt feel right. :-) And i wont even mention the iphone. Thats a definitive no, for about 72 reasons.

And to be honest, this talk about other OS, and other smartphone line of evolution, it makes me feel like a cheater, hehe. I do love my N900 and Maemo, and i laugh at all the iphone android here that insist on telling me how great their platform is. ;-)

No flame intended, i simply get a lot of idiots with the wrong kind of arguments. :-) They all have their good points, but for my personal use and interest, none beats the N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to manifesto42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 161 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
Originally Posted by nike_ab View Post
hehehehe, seriously was thinking about webos, untill it was dead. So how is your experience with HP pre 3, is it as worthy as n900
In many ways it's worst than N900:
-only 8G memory
-no chance to send or receive any file via bluetooth,
-no terminal OOTB,
-no FM transmitter,
-no virtual keyboard at all,
-physical keyboard not as good as N900,
-very limited support for menu languages,

On the plus side for Pre:
+feels faster than N900,
+better email client,
+app store works much faster than N900's app manager,
+"just type" feature,
+it's really fun to use,
+spell checking while I'm writing this.

I've been using it for 2 days, so these are my first impressions.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
I wanted to buy other phones some time ago....
First somebody showed me SE Xperia X1 with Win Mobile 6. But I heard it was too hvy.
Then I wanted 2 buy SE Satio as it's hw was good. 12Mpx and Symbian. But I've seen S60v5 sucks and Satio has big radiation.
Next another friend showed me N900 and I was amazed by capabilities of this phone. I decided to buy it and I've never regret it.

I tried Blackberry OS, Android, WP7 in some stores. But nothing compares with N900. Now I won't change for a non-Linux phone if I don't have to. If there'll be no MeeGo phones, I'd have to stick with other phone. Now if it'd be available I'd buy a N950. But it ain't...

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
I'd take that Samsung phone on one condition: If only it could be dual booted with maemo or alike then I would instantly remove dual boot afterwards to get rid of android. I don't like to be locked in and watched over.

The Following User Says Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by nike_ab View Post
agree with you, but n900 on overclocking is stable and with new battery patches and other things battery is not that terrible, it is quite ok + portrait mode works with CSSU. Yes after using n900, and installing nitdroid on it, I don't think even I am interested in android anymore.
Solution to your problem and(mine) is cordia-tab(smoku is working on it) which would be meego based with maemo UI top on it. It doesn't have physical keyboard and it would be completely open sourced. go to cordia website and sign petition
Nike,
Can you point to toward the battery patches? I have not seen those.